Permit to Acquire - Kaiser won't allow (Read 4109 times)

dellab2011

Permit to Acquire - Kaiser won't allow
« on: June 29, 2020, 07:51:21 PM »
I am new to the forum and need assistance. I applied for a permit to purchase a firearm. I was just informed that Kaiser won't clear me and that I need to obtain a Medical Clearance Letter. I emailed my doctor but I am unsure if they will provide me the letter. Does anyone know of an independent doctor or psychiatrist to clear me in case my doctor won't give me a letter? This is my first firearm purchase and I already bought a rifle, so I need to make this happen. I knew I should have waited for the permit, but I was so excited. Any advice to me will help. Thanks.

mrgaf

Re: Permit to Acquire - Kaiser won't allow
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 08:42:40 PM »
I am new to the forum and need assistance. I applied for a permit to purchase a firearm. I was just informed that Kaiser won't clear me and that I need to obtain a Medical Clearance Letter. I emailed my doctor but I am unsure if they will provide me the letter. Does anyone know of an independent doctor or psychiatrist to clear me in case my doctor won't give me a letter? This is my first firearm purchase and I already bought a rifle, so I need to make this happen. I knew I should have waited for the permit, but I was so excited. Any advice to me will help. Thanks.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

mrgaf

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 08:52:21 PM »

You’ll have to make an appointment with HPD complete the permitting paperwork.On the medical clearance papers list Kaiser and your doctors name/phone number which will probably be Kaiser as well. Pay for your Rap back check, have you photo taken and you’re done for the time being. Kaiser will not do anything to approve but if HPD does not receive any word from Kaiser, they will assume everything is ok and you’ll pickup your permit on the day they tell you it will be ready. This same thing happened to me when they refused but I still got my permit to acquire many times over. Good luck, you should be good to go....
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

19pontiac79

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 09:50:24 PM »
I've had Kaiser for years. I don't even specify who my insurance carrier is on the medical form. I list my doctor's name and address and ph#. Never got disqualified yet. On the other hand my docs known me since I got out of pediatrics, 20yrs plus. :shaka:

Good luck
"if can. Can. If no can. No can" - Uncles 😆
"Why? The ring no block the hole." - Uncle's 😘
"You can throw a rock any distance and you will hit a double standard. = LIFE" 🤷🏽‍♂️

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 09:58:11 PM »
You’ll have to make an appointment with HPD complete the permitting paperwork.On the medical clearance papers list Kaiser and your doctors name/phone number which will probably be Kaiser as well. Pay for your Rap back check, have you photo taken and you’re done for the time being. Kaiser will not do anything to approve but if HPD does not receive any word from Kaiser, they will assume everything is ok and you’ll pickup your permit on the day they tell you it will be ready. This same thing happened to me when they refused but I still got my permit to acquire many times over. Good luck, you should be good to go....

"I applied for a permit to purchase a firearm. I was just informed that Kaiser won't clear me and that I need to obtain a Medical Clearance Letter...
Does anyone know of an independent doctor or psychiatrist to clear me in case my doctor won't give me a letter? "

Sounds like they're way past the first appointment stage.

Kaiser's policy is to never issue clearance letters.  They only respond to the background check request from HPD.  If HPD thinks your medical history offers grounds for denial, it's up to you to find a non-Kaiser doctor.  Don't waste a minute waiting for the Kaiser doctor to respond. 

There have been a couple of doctors mentioned on here who can and will do the clearance letters.  Hopefully someone will post a doctor's name for you.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

dellab2011

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 08:15:47 PM »
Success. I found a doctor that can help.