Hurricane Season 2018 (Read 47532 times)

2ahavvaii

Re: Hurricane Season 2018
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2018, 02:10:08 PM »
mayor announced Thursday and friday

stangzilla

« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2018, 02:55:12 PM »
there was a topic of the morning on the Sam and Ryan show on 93.9 this morning.  it was "what do you hate most about hurricane prepping in Hawaii?"
most people called in and said something to the effect, 'I hate the price gouging, or long lines, or their sold out, or people buying 10 or more cases of water at a time, etc.....'
we had all year to prepare for hurricane season.  if you're getting the price gouging or long lines or any of the other reasons, sorry but its YOUR fault for waiting until the last minute to prepare.
I always have multiple water cases on hand bc I use them anyways and buy a lot when they go on sale.  also have a lot of MRE's, mountain house dehydrated food, canned goods, protein powder, protein bars, water bob, etc.
there's always a few things that I don't have, but they are pretty not essential things.  but I'm pretty prepared all the time.
I think I've watched all the episodes of Doomsday Preppers on the history channel (I know this show is mostly entertainment and not factual), and I've always thought that here in Hawaii doomsday will be a hurricane or tsunami.  those are things are inevitable, so everyone that lives here should be always prepared for it.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2018, 03:10:34 PM »
there was a topic of the morning on the Sam and Ryan show on 93.9 this morning.  it was "what do you hate most about hurricane prepping in Hawaii?"
most people called in and said something to the effect, 'I hate the price gouging, or long lines, or their sold out, or people buying 10 or more cases of water at a time, etc.....'
we had all year to prepare for hurricane season.  if you're getting the price gouging or long lines or any of the other reasons, sorry but its YOUR fault for waiting until the last minute to prepare.
I always have multiple water cases on hand bc I use them anyways and buy a lot when they go on sale.  also have a lot of MRE's, mountain house dehydrated food, canned goods, protein powder, protein bars, water bob, etc.
there's always a few things that I don't have, but they are pretty not essential things.  but I'm pretty prepared all the time.
I think I've watched all the episodes of Doomsday Preppers on the history channel (I know this show is mostly entertainment and not factual), and I've always thought that here in Hawaii doomsday will be a hurricane or tsunami.  those are things are inevitable, so everyone that lives here should be always prepared for it.

The thing that irritates me is the number of people who buy out Costco and Walmart 2-3 days before bad weather, then take everything back for a refund the next week because they didn't need it.

Water, generators, toilet paper .... you name it, they hoard it all then take it back.

The big box places should have an "all sales are final" policy or have limits on certain items during these kinds of peak demand situations.  Maybe that would force everyone to buy and keep a minimal emergency stockpile they can just add to when a storm is coming.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Drakiir84

« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2018, 03:43:15 PM »
The thing that irritates me is the number of people who buy out Costco and Walmart 2-3 days before bad weather, then take everything back for a refund the next week because they didn't need it.

Water, generators, toilet paper .... you name it, they hoard it all then take it back.

The big box places should have an "all sales are final" policy or have limits on certain items during these kinds of peak demand situations.  Maybe that would force everyone to buy and keep a minimal emergency stockpile they can just add to when a storm is coming.

A million times yes!!
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2018, 04:54:37 PM »
I don’t really eat Cup o Noodles. Went to Longs today for some other stuff and saw a sale, so bought some. Like 12. The lady at the register was like “is this your hurricane supply?”  I just smiled and said that I have plenty and this just is a quick snack here and there. If someone things 12 cup o noodles are enough, yikes!

Flapp_Jackson

-- Melvin Udall

aieahound

« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2018, 05:45:55 PM »

Gall dammit Flapp!
I 100% agree with you!

(Too bad you can't see this post in your safe space  :D)
(Still gotta poke you little bit.   :geekdanc: )
(Please nobody quote this)

RSN172

« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2018, 05:54:55 PM »
I beieve Costco and some other stores have a no return policy on certain items purchased during a pending disaster.  This was implemented because of people hoarding or buying generators everytime a storm was coming and then returning it if they didn't need it.

drck1000

« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2018, 05:58:36 PM »
I beieve Costco and some other stores have a no return policy on certain items purchased during a pending disaster.  This was implemented because of people hoarding or buying generators everytime a storm was coming and then returning it if they didn't need it.
I thought they did that for stuff like TVs around the Super Bowl too.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2018, 08:53:07 PM »

I haven't seen this advertised.  Good on them.
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2018, 09:15:45 PM »
I haven't seen this advertised.  Good on them.
Not advertised but I recall seeing signs stating such in some stores.

London808

« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2018, 09:30:05 PM »
They were meant to start installing my solar on Monday........
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

2ahavvaii

« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2018, 10:11:00 PM »
They were meant to start installing my solar on Monday........
youre lucky it's not installed. 

I dont think there's an easy way to protect solar panels on the house, except possibly by jury rigging a bracket into the mount so you can install plywood covers.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2018, 10:15:17 PM »

Dude I agree with you, but it's hard for certain people.  A lot of people in hawaii live a pay check to paycheck lifestyle, and dropping a bunch of money on emergency supplies that they dont use is a sharp blow to their budget.  Of course it can be argued that they should be living more within their means, but that's a topic for another discussion... 

The way I see it is that if these guys are so hard up that they need to drag their stupid supplies back to the store for a refund, then let em go....  At least they're buying supplies for the hurricane, and won't need to be crying to the government for assistance 1 day post-event.  Oahu has 1 million people, and the government has no stockpiles of supplies to handle their needs.  The more that is distributed into the hands of the general public before the event, the less needy they will be afterwards.  And the government will have more time to bring in aid and distribute properly.

I think quotas are kinda easy to get around, but would be more effective than "no return" policies that the employees likely wouldn't adhere too once these people start raising a fuss that they can't return their pallet of water.  And quotas would help to ensure that supplies are distributed across more people  rather than concentrated in the hands of some last minute bulk hoarders who wouldn't even end up using most of it even if a hurricane did hit.   10 people with 1 case of water each is less likely to return than 1 guy hoarding 10 cases.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:28:25 PM by 2ahavvaii »

Rocky

« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2018, 06:32:20 AM »
    Only  one patio door and five more windows to plywood on the second of 2 Beachfront homes.  :crazy
Had plenty of plywood already as it has been stashed in the garage since last Hurricane threat (Ana ?)
Covering windows was the only prepping we needed to do as we prep for Hurricane season first week of August annually.

New hack
Putting water filled jugs into Hot tub and crank up the heat.
When the power goes out, I'll still have gallons of (potable) Hot water  for days to wash up !
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2018, 09:11:14 AM »
Also if you boil water and then freeze it, you can use it for later.

stangzilla

« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2018, 12:06:57 PM »
Get your zip packs and chili before zippys closes at 4:00 today

zippz

« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2018, 01:07:01 PM »

I got a case of MREs.  I wish they could make a zip pack version .
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2018, 01:13:52 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I was gonna try grab food there after taking care of some stuff for my dad later this afternoon.

Will seems more “real” when 7-11’s start closing.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2018, 01:23:23 PM »
Also if you boil water and then freeze it, you can use it for later.

If your water came from the tap and is safe to drink, you really don't need to boil it.  Hopefully the city already makes the water drinkable when you turn on the faucet.  :shake:

If you use a filter (Brita, fridge water dispenser, etc.), you'll eliminate chlorine and other chemicals or particulates to make the water better tasting, but those chemicals keep the water safe by killing bacteria.

I'd recommend going straight from the tap to the freezer.  Boiling seems redundant.
-- Melvin Udall