Puuloa Rifle and Pistol Club Regional High Power Rifle Tournament 22-24 Sep 2017 (Read 11337 times)

Teichi

The Puuloa Rifle and Pistol Club will be hosting a President's 100 Rifle Match on Friday 22 September, a 800 Aggregate NRA Rifle Tournament on 23 September and a CMP Rifle Excellence in Competition Match on 24 September.

See attached documents for the details.

Bushido

Is the F-Class match in November cancelled?

Jmoto808

Would love if Hawaii had more f class open / ftr matches! Definately a competition style that would be entertaining and might attract a lot of shooters since its a pretty simple sport to start in on a relatively low budget. Plus would be fun to test out some reloads at farther ranges or see what a 77gr berger can do at 600.

ren

The Puuloa Rifle and Pistol Club will be hosting a President's 100 Rifle Match on Friday 22 September, a 800 Aggregate NRA Rifle Tournament on 23 September and a CMP Rifle Excellence in Competition Match on 24 September.

See attached documents for the details.

it will be an "Aloha" Presidents 100. No tabs will be awarded.

a 77 SMK, Nosler or Berger would do well at 600. Some teams are shooting across the course with 77 loads. But for a mediocre shooter like myself I could use all that an 80 can offer.
Deeds Not Words

Bushido

Would love if Hawaii had more f class open / ftr matches! Definately a competition style that would be entertaining and might attract a lot of shooters since its a pretty simple sport to start in on a relatively low budget. Plus would be fun to test out some reloads at farther ranges or see what a 77gr berger can do at 600.

Come out to the open practices. If more F-Class guys show up, maybe they'll increase the matches. Look into the Kauai Tactical Match as well. It may likely be an annual match since turnout was so good this year.

Jmoto808

Come out to the open practices. If more F-Class guys show up, maybe they'll increase the matches. Look into the Kauai Tactical Match as well. It may likely be an annual match since turnout was so good this year.

Sounds awesome Bushido! Hopefully in the near future ill be able to invest more time into the sport snd join u guys. During the open practice is it still limited to 308, 223, 3006? What about calibers with similar ballistics like a 6BR or 6.5 creed or 260rem? Thanks in advance.

ren

Sounds awesome Bushido! Hopefully in the near future ill be able to invest more time into the sport snd join u guys. During the open practice is it still limited to 308, 223, 3006? What about calibers with similar ballistics like a 6BR or 6.5 creed or 260rem? Thanks in advance.

just 223, 308 and 3006
Deeds Not Words

zippz

Simple answer is the calibers that you want to shoot the match with you probably never will be able to.  Calibers you wouldn't want to shoot the match with have a chance of being approved in the future.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

FYI, here's a calculator that gives you the maximum range of a bullet. 

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmdist-5.1.cgi
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

ren

Simple answer is the calibers that you want to shoot the match with you probably never will be able to.  Calibers you wouldn't want to shoot the match with have a chance of being approved in the future.

??? :wacko:
Deeds Not Words

zippz

The most frequent questions the club gets is "Can I shoot the match with X caliber?" which is those that exceed the performance of 30-06.  260, 6.5mm, 6mm, 300 winmag, 7mm, etc which will never be allowed unless the range SDZ's are redone and range is overhauled.

I don't usually get questions about 300 blackout,6.8spc, and others.

ren

The most frequent questions the club gets is "Can I shoot the match with X caliber?" which is those that exceed the performance of 30-06.  260, 6.5mm, 6mm, 300 winmag, 7mm, etc which will never be allowed unless the range SDZ's are redone and range is overhauled.

I don't usually get questions about 300 blackout,6.8spc, and others.

just say 223, 308, 3006.
simple
Deeds Not Words

Bushido

just say 223, 308, 3006.
simple

Agreed. Those 3 calibers are proven to be accurate well past what the range has to offer. Including the 1K line! Allthough there are calibers that would make it "easier", let's make ourselves better instead.

I would not call shooting 2 hours next to a guy with a 338LM and a brake, a good day of shooting.

Jmoto808

Agreed. Those 3 calibers are proven to be accurate well past what the range has to offer. Including the 1K line! Allthough there are calibers that would make it "easier", let's make ourselves better instead.

I would not call shooting 2 hours next to a guy with a 338LM and a brake, a good day of shooting.

Totally agreed, just wish there was more available calibers to pick from. I got a 6br on the way and wouldve loved to see how the short little guy bucks wind at distance. I can see the argument of guys wanting to shoot massively "overbored" magnums or shooting rounds with significant muzzle energy to make life easier. But theres a huge amount of cartridges designrd for the 600 yard line that are inherently efficient and pleasant on recoil / muzzle blast which are within 200-300 yards of effective range of the 3006 and 308. But again i understand the constraints to which the club is held. Thanks again fo the answers. 

Jmoto808

Guess this just gives me more of an excuse to work on a 308 build in the future though!  ;D

Bushido

Totally agreed, just wish there was more available calibers to pick from. I got a 6br on the way and wouldve loved to see how the short little guy bucks wind at distance. I can see the argument of guys wanting to shoot massively "overbored" magnums or shooting rounds with significant muzzle energy to make life easier. But theres a huge amount of cartridges designrd for the 600 yard line that are inherently efficient and pleasant on recoil / muzzle blast which are within 200-300 yards of effective range of the 3006 and 308. But again i understand the constraints to which the club is held. Thanks again fo the answers.

There has been talks about some guys leasing private property to do PRS style matches. I personally don't see it happening due to real estate prices in Hawaii. I don't see it ever being profitable. I would be interested in hearing how that 6BR does for you though. The 6.5CM is all the rage right now, I feel there are better 6mm catridges out there.

Jmoto808

There has been talks about some guys leasing private property to do PRS style matches. I personally don't see it happening due to real estate prices in Hawaii. I don't see it ever being profitable. I would be interested in hearing how that 6BR does for you though. The 6.5CM is all the rage right now, I feel there are better 6mm catridges out there.

If PRS came to Hawaii, I'm pretty sure id piss myself out of sheer joy. Ya i was stuck between 6BR and 6.5 x 47 Lapua but went with 6BR due to the efficiency and economics. 6BR only holds 30 ish grains of powder, uses small rifle primers (although some 6.5 creed brass does now), has lapua brass available, and super mild recoil. Only issue with 6BR is that its such a short little guy that sometimes it has feeding issues. But I'm building it off a Bighorn TL3 which lotta PRS guys have done since its a CRF action. But ya 6mm has a whole plethora of cartridges designed for F Class / PRS, maybe one day we can all enjoy em!

Bushido

If PRS came to Hawaii, I'm pretty sure id piss myself out of sheer joy. Ya i was stuck between 6BR and 6.5 x 47 Lapua but went with 6BR due to the efficiency and economics. 6BR only holds 30 ish grains of powder, uses small rifle primers (although some 6.5 creed brass does now), has lapua brass available, and super mild recoil. Only issue with 6BR is that its such a short little guy that sometimes it has feeding issues. But I'm building it off a Bighorn TL3 which lotta PRS guys have done since its a CRF action. But ya 6mm has a whole plethora of cartridges designed for F Class / PRS, maybe one day we can all enjoy em!

I would gravitate towards PRS matches as well if we had some. I like the positions, platforms, barricades, etc... I would likely build a rifle for that. With the price of land in Hawaii, I'm not holding my breathe though. I may look into traveling to attend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ren

Id like a 6.5 Creedmoor. More efficient than a 308. But at this time Im limited to Kokohead. Does Schofield allow?
Deeds Not Words

Jmoto808

Id like a 6.5 Creedmoor. More efficient than a 308. But at this time Im limited to Kokohead. Does Schofield allow?

No clue, I tried to contact SRGC couple months ago about membership, but they said they were closed to "associate" members and they haven't been able to accept any for a long time due to the ratio required between military / DOD and civilians. Yet again, another hurdle to face while living in paradise. 6.5 Creed is a hell of a round, my brother has a savage 110 and it shoots bugholes all day (granted only at 100 yards) with tame recoil.