Moving to Honolulu from Pennsylvania (Read 16867 times)

JMR38Super

Moving to Honolulu from Pennsylvania
« on: August 02, 2018, 06:19:24 AM »
Hello all, I am moving to Hawaii for a new job.  I am an active member of USPSA, and would like to continue competing.  However, the gun laws have me a nervous wreck.  I am coming from Pennsylvania, where there are loose firearm laws.  Can anyone provide me with proper registration steps?  I have searched out quite a bit, but looking for confirmation, especially with a pro-gun forum!

stangzilla

Re: Moving to Honolulu from Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 07:51:49 AM »
Welcome.  :shaka:

Jl808

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 07:59:51 AM »
Welcome to Hawaii.  Here are some useful FAQs.

FAQs
https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?board=18.0

Getting an registering a gun in hawaii
https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=222.0

The info on the second link may be somewhat outdated but here are some key points that come to mind.

1. No pistol mags over 10 rounds unless you are LEO.
2. No bump stocks, silencers
3. You will need to register your firearms at HPD within so many days of arriving in Hawaii.
4. You will get added to rap-back (a federal database permanently) upon registration
5. You need to bring exact $$ amounts for the fees.
6. Practically no CCWs cause Hawaii doesn't issue any

I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 08:08:35 AM »
Welcome!

We have LOTS of USPSA groups here.  You can shoot a USPSA/IPSC event pretty much every weekend if you wanted to.  Sometimes both Sat and Sun.  JL's got you covered on laws and stuff.  Yeah, Hawaii's laws aren't the best in terms of gun right, but there are plenty of opportunity to enjoy shooting in Hawaii.   :thumbsup:

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 08:35:22 AM »
To add to the above,

1) We do not have a trigger weight law
2) No rifle barrels under 16 inches
3) No shotgun barrels under 18 inches
4) No "assault pistols"
5) We have a places to keep law.  Which means you can only take your gun &/or ammo in an "enclosed container" from your home and to the range, gun store, gun show, police station, gun smith.  NO PIT STOPS FOR COFFEE OR ANYTHING. 
6) If you want to buy any gun here, you must apply for a permit and take a handgun safety class if it's a handgun purchase.

Any more detailed questions, feel free to post them.

JMR38Super

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 09:24:38 AM »
Thank you for your responses, much appreciated.  In PA I shot IPSC Open Division, but I think I'm going to switch to Carry Optics, Glock, due to the strict laws.  I bought 10 round mags to be safe for the Glock.  I look forward to meeting all the shooters in Hawaii.  I will keep in touch and follow this group on my travels.  I will be arriving Saturday, 8/11.  A bit nervous about the time limit to get the handgun registered, and transporting from apartment to HPD.  I won't have a car right away.  As long as I keep it in locked box, and no mags or ammo, I should be good, right?

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »
Thank you for your responses, much appreciated.  In PA I shot IPSC Open Division, but I think I'm going to switch to Carry Optics, Glock, due to the strict laws.  I bought 10 round mags to be safe for the Glock.  I look forward to meeting all the shooters in Hawaii.  I will keep in touch and follow this group on my travels.  I will be arriving Saturday, 8/11.  A bit nervous about the time limit to get the handgun registered, and transporting from apartment to HPD.  I won't have a car right away.  As long as I keep it in locked box, and no mags or ammo, I should be good, right?
Ahh, you were a "cheater"?   :P

I shoot production.  Don't mind me though, I'm just jealous of the open shooters.  Damn, some of them are great shots as well as have awesome guns! 

Great that you picked up 10 round mags.  Hope you have someone you can baby sit your standard capacity magazines. 

Regarding handgun registration, just make it a priority to go down and register when you can.  Not giving legal advise or anything (as no one does anything illegal here per Mac), but just sharing personal experience and what I've seen.  Many military come in with their firearms and it is often not feasible, for whatever reason, to get them registered within the stated timeline.  That you're aware of the requirement and seems like you are concerned about doing the right thing is great.  But I'm sure there will be plenty of other stressful things going on in a move like that.  Best of luck! 

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 10:34:37 AM »
 :wave:
welcome to the forum

Basically, you have 5 days to take your guns to the PD and register them.
You have almost the whole week of the 13th to comply.
leave your mags at home.

What, Me Worry?

Jl808

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
Speaking of vehicles, I just had to renew my drivers license recently.

Go to http://alohaq.org and save yourself the whole day wait by scheduling an appointment to get your Hawaii drivers license.

Earliest appointment time as of today is out to September 17 (45 day wait period)!

You won't be able to do a walk-in unless you are already waiting in line like first thing in the morning.  The LEO at the Kapalama said that I should be waiting by 3am in order to get a walk-in number and be out by 9am.  Be in line at 5am walk-in to get out by 2pm!
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

stangzilla

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 12:22:57 PM »
Does hpd really check your airlines ticket to verify your arrival date?   ;)

stangzilla

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 12:27:32 PM »
Info for the shooting range
http://khsc.info

There are other ranges but this one is the public range.
Rifle and pistol target ranges are free. Bring your own ammo and targets and target frames. Also has shotgun and silhouette range and action bays for shooting clubs

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 12:45:38 PM »
.  As long as I keep it in locked box, and no mags or ammo, I should be good, right?

Law doesn't say "locked box".  It states enclosed container (commercial container).  Even the cardboard box the rifles come in are acceptable.  Or the plastic cases the handguns come with are fine also.  No lock is required.  You can keep the mag with the gun.  Just make sure all guns are unloaded when transporting.  Don't forget go from your place to the police station.  Then from the station back home.  No stopping for lunch or even picking up a friend at their home.

Also the law doesn't state where in the vehicle the enclosed container must be kept.  But personally, I always put it in my trunk.

You have 5 days from the time you receive the firearms to take it to HPD (Honolulu Police Department).  When you get to the window, tell them you're from "out of state".  They will have you fill out some forms and check the serial number on the guns (clear and make safe before putting them under the window to the officer).

rklapp

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 12:52:10 PM »
Does hpd really check your airlines ticket to verify your arrival date?   ;)
They never asked when I brought my two rifles and pistol with me to HPD on 2014. I didn't have registration on one of the rifles but they didn't care.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 01:09:27 PM »
They never asked when I brought my two rifles and pistol with me to HPD on 2014. I didn't have registration on one of the rifles but they didn't care.

I've never heard of a penalty being levied for failure to meet the 5 day deadline within a reasonable timeframe. That part of the process gives HPD 5 days to wait before they try giving you a gentle reminder.

The law says "Any person who violates section 134-3(a) shall be guilty of a petty misdemeanor".

As with most laws, it's only illegal if you get caught.   :geekdanc:

Since there's no transfer of ownership when bringing from out of state, there's nothing to alert HPD you need to register your guns.

It would take you getting the attention of HPD for some other reason for them to have a reason to check on the gun registration.

In other words, you won't lose your right to have guns if you forget to register.

As always, follow the law.  It's not worth the cost and potential consequences to employment, clearances, and so on to take a chance on not getting caught.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 01:24:32 PM »
I was in line once and the guy behind me (I was filling out app at the desk) was asked to show plane ticket.  He didn't have his ticket on him, but was able to show it from his email on his phone the landing date.  If he didn't have anything, HPD might have just let him slide, IDK.

But another time I was there, a guys handgun was confiscated due to a domestic violence incident (not him).  It wasn't registered, and he said he was from CA.  HPD didnt even ask him why he didn't register it, but did ask him to show proof of ownership so he can claim the gun.  His brother used it when he wasn't home and threatened his girlfriend.  So that's why HPD took it.  He told them that in CA, they don't have registration.  So HPD ask for an invoice or something to prove he is the rightful owner.  Guy said he bought the gun 15 years ago and doesn't have anything. 

By then I was done so I left.  IDK what ever happened to him.  But it seems like they didn't care if it was registered or not.  Just proof he is the owner so they can give it back to him.

So always follow the law.  "No one here does anything illegal"

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 01:38:56 PM »
I was in line once and the guy behind me (I was filling out app at the desk) was asked to show plane ticket.  He didn't have his ticket on him, but was able to show it from his email on his phone the landing date.  If he didn't have anything, HPD might have just let him slide, IDK.

But another time I was there, a guys handgun was confiscated due to a domestic violence incident (not him).  It wasn't registered, and he said he was from CA.  HPD didnt even ask him why he didn't register it, but did ask him to show proof of ownership so he can claim the gun.  His brother used it when he wasn't home and threatened his girlfriend.  So that's why HPD took it.  He told them that in CA, they don't have registration.  So HPD ask for an invoice or something to prove he is the rightful owner.  Guy said he bought the gun 15 years ago and doesn't have anything. 

By then I was done so I left.  IDK what ever happened to him.  But it seems like they didn't care if it was registered or not.  Just proof he is the owner so they can give it back to him.

Kind of interesting on the "prove you own it" thing.  I thought when you bring guns from out of state, they just run a check in the serial to make sure it's not sought after for theft or a crime.  There's no challenge to prove your ownership.

If there's no report of theft, they should assume the person it was taken from is the owner unless they have evidence to the contrary. Confiscation without evidence of a theft is wrong. 

Proof of purchase from 15 years ago might still be possible if it was an FFL purchase.  They have to keep those records.  If they go out of business, records are supposed to be transferred to the ATF.
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 02:01:59 PM »
Kind of interesting on the "prove you own it" thing.  I thought when you bring guns from out of state, they just run a check in the serial to make sure it's not sought after for theft or a crime.  There's no challenge to prove your ownership.

I think that's HPD's SOP when returning firearms.  But to just register, they don't require any proof.

zippz

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 04:50:24 PM »
You can check the "events" section for my directory and calendar for USPSA clubs and events.  I'm a little behind on updating it for 2h 2018.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 06:52:06 PM »
I think that's HPD's SOP when returning firearms.  But to just register, they don't require any proof.

Right.  My point is, if they confiscated a firearm from you, they know it's yours -- just as much as they know an unregistered gun from the mainland is yours.

Seems like two sets of procedures.
-- Melvin Udall

rklapp

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 07:30:30 PM »
So the guy went to HPD to get his gun back after the cops confiscated it off his brother during a DV dispute. I wonder how long the guy had been in Hawaii with his gun? The cops were more concerned about ownership than the fact it was unregistered? Makes me wonder what happened after you left.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/