Revolver Shoot at Silhouette Range SUN 5 MAY 2019 [UPDATED] (Read 30784 times)

dogman

Re: Revolver Shoot at Silhouette Range SUN 5 MAY 2019 [UPDATED]
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2019, 09:47:28 PM »
I saw dogman getting ready to shoot the 500 and Mr Jumpy was shooting. Dogman shoots the first round and Mr Jumpy literally jumped and yelled “whoa!”. We were laughing and even his buddy was laughing him. Later I heard him tell his buddy that he should’ve given him a “fire in the hole” warning.  :rofl:

Wasn't that guy there all morning? Before the 500 got shot for the first time I told him we're going to shoot a 500 magnum and he was kinda dismissive saying "it ain't going to bother me" as he pulled out his own 500 to show me from a gun sock. I heard his WHOA and the remark to his buddy about I should have warned him so I guess it did bother him.

drck1000

« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2019, 07:57:53 AM »
mahalos for letting someone who owns no firearms, ammo, nor reloading components participate
I liked the .38 spl match and the dirty harry gun
the moisin pistol was intellectually interesting, but the trigger sucked
.41 spl and mag were interesting too
and of course, the VP9L and Grock 17 with trijicon rmr were really cool too
Glad we could help.   ;D

Wish my High Standard .22 lr semi auto was functioning properly.  I know Inspector was looking forward to shooting that one.  He was all geeking out about that one.  Haha

Wasn't that guy there all morning? Before the 500 got shot for the first time I told him we're going to shoot a 500 magnum and he was kinda dismissive saying "it ain't going to bother me" as he pulled out his own 500 to show me from a gun sock. I heard his WHOA and the remark to his buddy about I should have warned him so I guess it did bother him.
Yeah.  I think they were there pretty much the whole time you were there.  To be fair to Mr Jumpy, the 500 blast doesn't really bother me, but I probably would have to check my fillings if I was shooting next to you.   :rofl:  Could feel the concussion in my chest.  On the range of where you usually load the 500, where was the ammo that you were shooting Sun?  On the milder or hotter side? 

oldfart

« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2019, 08:04:39 AM »
Drck.....
What is the story on the hi standard? Which model and what's it not doing?
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2019, 08:13:59 AM »
Drck.....
What is the story on the hi standard? Which model and what's it not doing?
Believe the springs need replacing.  I think Inspector said the action and trigger spring (or springs).  Something about the reset spring felt week.  Also probably could use a good cleaning as I think there seemed to be some crud where the trigger goes into the frame.  My dad stored this one open (no case, sock, etc) in a filing cabinet, so seems like it collected a lot of dust over the years and looks like even some "bug stuff". 

When Inspector went to shoot it, it fired one but the action spring wasn't strong enough to chamber the following round.  He mentioned that it may have been the ammo and state (cleanliness and/or tight) of the chamber. 

ETA - Looked up High Standard gunsmiths and seems like not many.  Seems like there are some that do work for the .22 lr competition pistols, but those seem like the high end work stuff.   

changemyoil66

« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2019, 09:15:32 AM »

That guy was sort of good at watching his friend.  When his friend decided to rapid fire, he told him to not do that.  Then the RO came over and told him, and he explained he already let him know.  But when he stepped away, I seen his friend rub the handgun to the side of his face to take a pic.  Barrel was pointed not really toward us, but more like to the ceiling toward the booth.  But it definatlly wasn't down range.  I kind of moved for a second out of the way and watched him more when he was left alone.

oldfart

« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2019, 10:32:39 AM »
Believe the springs need replacing.  I think Inspector said the action and trigger spring (or springs).  Something about the reset spring felt week.  Also probably could use a good cleaning as I think there seemed to be some crud where the trigger goes into the frame.  My dad stored this one open (no case, sock, etc) in a filing cabinet, so seems like it collected a lot of dust over the years and looks like even some "bug stuff". 

When Inspector went to shoot it, it fired one but the action spring wasn't strong enough to chamber the following round.  He mentioned that it may have been the ammo and state (cleanliness and/or tight) of the chamber. 

ETA - Looked up High Standard gunsmiths and seems like not many.  Seems like there are some that do work for the .22 lr competition pistols, but those seem like the high end work stuff.
===================
 I'll ask around, but what model is it?
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2019, 10:33:12 AM »
That guy was sort of good at watching his friend.  When his friend decided to rapid fire, he told him to not do that.  Then the RO came over and told him, and he explained he already let him know.  But when he stepped away, I seen his friend rub the handgun to the side of his face to take a pic.  Barrel was pointed not really toward us, but more like to the ceiling toward the booth.  But it definatlly wasn't down range.  I kind of moved for a second out of the way and watched him more when he was left alone.
I saw the rapid fire part and the friend warn him, but the RO was already on his way over.  I told Mac that there were a couple of times that Mr Jumpy (younger guy) did what you described.  Shoot, slide lock and then looked at the gun while muzzle wandering left.  But yeah, the friend was pretty good about correcting him.  We were calling him Mr Jumpy not because of his reaction to the 500, at least not at first.  But he was doing this weird jump around thing while he was shooting to change his stance.  It was interesting. 

drck1000

« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2019, 10:33:42 AM »
===================
 I'll ask around, but what model is it?
Thanks.  I believe Sport King 106.  I'll check when I get home.

stangzilla

« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2019, 10:43:02 AM »

I was watching those guys real closely bc I was right next to that younger guy who seemed like a newer shooter
both guys were pointing their guns in different directions also finger on the trigger all the time too, I mentioned to 1 of the RO that I was keeping an eye on those guys and the RO was keeping an eye on them too
I mentioned to the younger guy one time that he should face the gun down range at all times
but now I am real careful about who's shooting around me and watch them real carefully

drck1000

« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2019, 11:33:26 AM »
I was watching those guys real closely bc I was right next to that younger guy who seemed like a newer shooter
both guys were pointing their guns in different directions also finger on the trigger all the time too, I mentioned to 1 of the RO that I was keeping an eye on those guys and the RO was keeping an eye on them too
I mentioned to the younger guy one time that he should face the gun down range at all times
but now I am real careful about who's shooting around me and watch them real carefully
Ahh. I didn't realize that guy was that bad.   :(

I mean I did notice, but maybe I think I was mostly done shooting by that time.  Sorry that was the case.

But yeah, I am usually pretty observant of who is shooting next to me.  Especially when handguns are involved as that "muzzle turn" can happen really quickly. 

dogman

« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2019, 09:32:28 PM »
I saw the rapid fire part and the friend warn him, but the RO was already on his way over.  I told Mac that there were a couple of times that Mr Jumpy (younger guy) did what you described.  Shoot, slide lock and then looked at the gun while muzzle wandering left.  But yeah, the friend was pretty good about correcting him.  We were calling him Mr Jumpy not because of his reaction to the 500, at least not at first.  But he was doing this weird jump around thing while he was shooting to change his stance.  It was interesting.
So "Mr. Jumpy" was the younger guy that WHOA'd? Yeah he was kinda jumping around. I talked to the older stocky guy, okay that makes more sense. I wasn't paying much attention to those guys at that time since macsak was there I wanted to FOCUS on shooting.

drck1000

« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2019, 10:33:35 PM »
So "Mr. Jumpy" was the younger guy that WHOA'd? Yeah he was kinda jumping around. I talked to the older stocky guy, okay that makes more sense. I wasn't paying much attention to those guys at that time since macsak was there I wanted to FOCUS on shooting.
“No flinch”!!!  :rofl:

Yeah. Younger guy was Mr Jumpy. And Mac was noticing.

changemyoil66

« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2019, 09:25:52 AM »
“No flinch”!!!  :rofl:

Yeah. Younger guy was Mr Jumpy. And Mac was noticing.

He seemed very excited to be there.  Should have told him jokingly, "bro be cool, act like you've been here before".  Football coach told us the same thing when excessively celebrating: "be cool, act like you've scored a touchdown before".  Then response "but coach, this is my 1st TD".  Coaches reply "oh, nevermind".

dogman

« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2019, 09:41:56 PM »
  On the range of where you usually load the 500, where was the ammo that you were shooting Sun?  On the milder or hotter side?
I load the 500 magnum closer to max (hotter side) than minimum. I could be wrong but I feel better with more H110 in the case and less air. The difference in the felt recoil with the two loads I had was the bullet weight. The 350 grain bullet load actually has more powder than the 400 grain bullet load, but the 400 grain bullet definitely has more recoil.