Bolt Action Rifle Update - Sharing Experience (Read 12495 times)

drck1000

Re: Bolt Action Rifle Update - Sharing Experience
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2021, 05:31:05 PM »
A good gunsmith, that will chamber your rifle, should have an appropriate reamer for the bullet weights you want.  Discuss with the smith at the time of the build.  Heavier bullets in .308win is difficult, not enough case capacity to drive them.  Anything over 175 is diminishing returns IMHO.  Unless you plan on pushing the pressure envelope.  ;) Also, 200 grn + is so long, forget about mag feed.  You'll need to take up too much case capacity to fit into a magazine.
Ahh, ok.  I was hoping it was that easy as going to my gunsmith and be like "I want this chambered to shoot X, Y, Z".  I know some who have reamed for a specific bullet and smaller window, but I do want to shoot a range of bullets. 

Yeah, I hear ya on the diminishing returns.  Even with the 175 gr Bergers I sort of feel that.  I'm testing the 168 gr Berger hybrids next.  I am looking forward to those.

No, not planning on pushing the envelope.  I think I am in an "ok range" with the 168-175 gr for distances out to 1000 yards.  That said, I still want to try the 180-205ish to see how they shoot, but not necessarily out to 1000 yards.  An yeah, forget about mag feed on anything longer than about 2.850ish with the "generous" lip on the feed ramp/lip of my Rem 700.   ::) :(

That said, I expect to have to load one-by-one with these 168 gr Bergers.  I'll have the 175 gr OTM for mag feeding, or at least that's the plan/hope. 

drck1000

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2021, 12:29:28 PM »
Was able to shoot some longer distance a little over a week ago.  Steel targets in the 500 to a touch over 1000 yard range.  I was super busy in the weeks prior, so I wasn't able to load more of the more recent test loads that showed promise from the Lapua and Berger combo.  I did have a bunch of Federal brass and SMK combo with a couple of powders from a prior batch that I rolled for longer range.  So I had good chrono data and has success at the 1000+ yard target previously with the Varget load. 

We didn't have much time to shoot since it was near the end of the day.  I got what I thought was a decent shooting position, which was different than the last time I had good success.  The winds were very challenging with it swirling at the target (by the flags) as well as switching at the shooting position.  The target is also in a spot where it's near impossible to see the near missed.  I was all tantaran since the last time I had good success.  I loaded up 3 rounds, dialed my elev and went at it.  Misses.  Switched to a "target" in the dirt near the target to try to spot where my misses where.  That's what I did the last time I had good success.  Where I spotted the near miss, gauged on the reticle and put two rounds on the target.  The winds were more steady "into" that day, where it was switching all over in the recent session.  I wasn't able to gauge the wind in the next 10 rounds or so.  So as the day was winding down and sun getting low, tried the target at around 530 yards to see where I was at.  The target at 530 is way easier as the winds aren't as bad at that target.  Was able to put some rounds on that target, which I guess sort of confirmed that I wasn't totally off that day.  That target is pretty easy with the .308 though.  It a little more challenging with the AR and 1-10 scope, but didn't bring that gun that day.

Anyways, something to work on for next time I will hit the reloading room. 

Ocean19

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2021, 01:47:20 PM »
Have you tried the 155 scenars out to 1000? I was reading about the Palma shooters like whidden and others.

The new 169 SMK suppose to have better BC than 175 gr according to the forums.

That would be an interesting test.

macsak

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2021, 02:21:14 PM »
Was able to shoot some longer distance a little over a week ago.  Steel targets in the 500 to a touch over 1000 yard range.  I was super busy in the weeks prior, so I wasn't able to load more of the more recent test loads that showed promise from the Lapua and Berger combo.  I did have a bunch of Federal brass and SMK combo with a couple of powders from a prior batch that I rolled for longer range.  So I had good chrono data and has success at the 1000+ yard target previously with the Varget load. 

We didn't have much time to shoot since it was near the end of the day.  I got what I thought was a decent shooting position, which was different than the last time I had good success.  The winds were very challenging with it swirling at the target (by the flags) as well as switching at the shooting position.  The target is also in a spot where it's near impossible to see the near missed.  I was all tantaran since the last time I had good success.  I loaded up 3 rounds, dialed my elev and went at it.  Misses.  Switched to a "target" in the dirt near the target to try to spot where my misses where.  That's what I did the last time I had good success.  Where I spotted the near miss, gauged on the reticle and put two rounds on the target.  The winds were more steady "into" that day, where it was switching all over in the recent session.  I wasn't able to gauge the wind in the next 10 rounds or so.  So as the day was winding down and sun getting low, tried the target at around 530 yards to see where I was at.  The target at 530 is way easier as the winds aren't as bad at that target.  Was able to put some rounds on that target, which I guess sort of confirmed that I wasn't totally off that day.  That target is pretty easy with the .308 though.  It a little more challenging with the AR and 1-10 scope, but didn't bring that gun that day.

Anyways, something to work on for next time I will hit the reloading room.

tfti

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2021, 04:11:15 PM »
Have you tried the 155 scenars out to 1000? I was reading about the Palma shooters like whidden and others.

The new 169 SMK suppose to have better BC than 175 gr according to the forums.

That would be an interesting test.
I don't mess that that scenars voodoo magic.    ;D

No, I haven't.  With my 1:10 barrel, I've only shot 168 gr and above.  I was intending to try up to the 220 gr range, but I've only gone up to 185 gr.  The Berger 168 gr hybrids have a high BC for that weight range.  I just started testing with that bullet when I got busy.  I will likely stick with the heavier Bergers for a while.  Because I have them and recommendation from my gun builder. 

A buddy has shot the 150-160 gr range, but his barrel twist is much slower than mine. 

Interesting test, eh?  You should try.  Go test um, Go test um, go. . .  8)  :D 

Ocean19

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2021, 04:15:40 PM »
I don't mess that that scenars voodoo magic.    ;D

No, I haven't.  With my 1:10 barrel, I've only shot 168 gr and above.  I was intending to try up to the 220 gr range, but I've only gone up to 185 gr.  The Berger 168 gr hybrids have a high BC for that weight range.  I just started testing with that bullet when I got busy.  I will likely stick with the heavier Bergers for a while.  Because I have them and recommendation from my gun builder. 

A buddy has shot the 150-160 gr range, but his barrel twist is much slower than mine. 

Interesting test, eh?  You should try.  Go test um, Go test um, go. . .  8)  :D
i would test if I had access to anything greater than 100 yards… .

drck1000

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2021, 04:18:49 PM »
tfti
#trueprofessionalsonly
#nonotrealdoctors

drck1000

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2021, 04:28:53 PM »
i would test if I had access to anything greater than 100 yards… .
Buy some ranch land with cool neighbors  :thumbsup:

drck1000

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2021, 09:31:13 AM »
Got update over the weekend from the gun builder.  Chassis for 308 and the barrel for 6.5 CM came in. To maintain same delivery timeline, I switched to an M40 Bartlein for the 308 from the original plan for MTU.  Slightly lighter profile and I am sure it will serve me very well.  I wasn’t set on the barrel profile and was looking in the M24/M49 and MTU range, so still on the original plan.

Now that the barrel is in, I’m in the chambering process.  Estimated timeline is end-Nov/early-Dec window.  Scope also came in, so just need mount and ready to go.  Want to add a bipod just for the new 308, but can be ok with the one I already have.  I may try a different chassis for the 6.5 CM.  Looking at KRG for that one.  the KRG chassis and components seem to be well stocked, so not the 3-4 month wait like the MPA. 

drck1000

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2021, 11:26:23 AM »
Checked in with my rifle builder and the barrels have been chambered and guns now in "final stages".  ETA was "before Christmas", but now looks like "around Christmas".  Which is fine, though I was getting the itch back on centerfire B/A since I was gearing up for mid-Dec.  I still have the scope mount to order, but that's about it. 

I am doing some research on load development for both .308 and 6.5 CM.  A couple of buddies, as well as gun builder shared their load data.  Seems WAY more advanced than what I had done, so have some homework to do.   ;D

macsak

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2021, 11:36:09 AM »
Checked in with my rifle builder and the barrels have been chambered and guns now in "final stages".  ETA was "before Christmas", but now looks like "around Christmas".  Which is fine, though I was getting the itch back on centerfire B/A since I was gearing up for mid-Dec.  I still have the scope mount to order, but that's about it. 

I am doing some research on load development for both .308 and 6.5 CM.  A couple of buddies, as well as gun builder shared their load data.  Seems WAY more advanced than what I had done, so have some homework to do.   ;D

free powda...

drck1000

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2021, 12:07:45 PM »

drck1000

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2021, 08:17:56 AM »
Guns complete and balance paid. . . hope to get them in hand middle of next week.  Hopefully not slowed down too much with Christmas rush.

drck1000

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2021, 08:49:48 AM »
Guns came in end of last week and picked them up from the FFL early this week.  Will post some pics later, but overall impressions were that there are a lot of attention to detail that the gun builder did that I didn't think about.  I left a lot up to them along the way, giving them general information on my intent/interests and generally have them guide the way. 

Some initial impressions:

1) The MTU and M24/M40 barrel profiles are heftier than I envisioned.  I had shot some rifles with those barrel profiles before, but I guess I never really stood out to me as much back then.

2) The bolts on these custom actions are suuuuper smooth.  The action is melonited to a dark finish, which I like.  How firearms and components function are most important to me, but still appreciate aesthetics.  I went pretty plain/basic, but thinking back, I had a lot of options to "personalize".  Base cerakote options included solid, two tone, fades, shades, texturing, and splatter.

3) The gun is a Defiance Ruckus, but exclusive to the gun builder, so it has specific markings.  Including serial numbers too.  Nice touches on that. 

4) Overall balance of these two builds are way different.  I went with a MPA ESR chassis on the .308.  While I was waiting for the gun build, I ended up getting a KRG X-Ray chassis for the 6.5 CM build.  Mostly to try the KRG chassis, as well as a decent "budget" stock for the barreled action.  Balance point of the gun is not a super big deal to me, but something I noticed.  The MPA is quite a bit heavier than the KRG.  With the heavier profile and longer barrel length, that makes the difference more noticeable. 

5) I have a Teslong bore scope and ran it through the new guns, mostly to test the borescope.  But was interesting to see what a new custom gun and premium barrel looks like.  At least before I get shooting. 

Ocean19

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2021, 07:26:26 PM »
Did they bed your chassis? Mark Gordon has several videos on why he believes in bedding the actions in a chassis.

Been reading that other smiths are bedding actions in chassis's as well, supposedly it makes a difference in accuracy.

What barrel length did you end yup with on both calibers?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 07:33:39 PM by Ocean19 »

drck1000

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2021, 02:25:14 PM »
Was able to make it out to the range with the new .308 B/A.  I wasn’t able to load up some ammo this past week, but really wanted to shoot the new rifle this week while I had some time off from work.  So ended up shooting some FGMM 168 gr.  I was planning on shooting some FGMM to sight-in and to get some baseline velocity numbers for tracking the new barrel speed up and compare numbers to the Rem 700. 

The conditions at the range was windy and rainy at times, but overall not bad.  I don’t mind shooting in that type of conditions and would’ve gone even if the weather was rainy.  Luckily I left before the heavier rains started.

Overall, I love the new rifle.  I had already noticed the attention to detail from the gun builder, but function and performance is the key.  Through the first 40 rounds out of the new gun, I am VERY impressed and very excited to get into hand load development. 

Highlights:
1) Velocity with the 26” M24 barrel is about 200 fps more with FGMM than the 20” SPS Remington barrel, at least early shots out of the new barrel.  Supposed to get about 50-100 fps speed up.  Noticed about 20-30 fps increase in average velocity in the first 40 rounds.

2) The heavier M24 barrel, MPA ESR chassis, and Area 419 Hellfire match brake made a noticeable difference from the Rem 20” SPS barreled action with MPA Comp chassis.  Not that the recoil from the previous gun was a lot, but it’s a lot more mild with the new setup.  Shooting for “more precision” is my interest, and wouldn’t think of shooting this rifle for hunting. 

3) Very impressed with the performance right off the bat with FGMM.  Posting some highlights in a follow up post, but I shot (5) 5 shot groups and the max was 0.45ish MOA.

4) The longer 26” barrel introduces some interesting support gear needs.  First is a much longer rifle bag.  I picked up a 55” bag from Scheels, which fits the new rifle OAL of approximately 50” well.  However the shoulder strap has the gun carried with optic down, so need to be more careful.  Second is longer cleaning rod.  I upgraded to new BoreTech cleaning rods for the .308 and 6.5 CM anyways.

drck1000

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2021, 02:31:02 PM »
Highlights from range day:

First (3) shot group as I was fine tuning zero. This was within the first 20 shots of the rifle and was very happy to see this. I had stacked a couple of rounds as I was going from bore sight to zero.

drck1000

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2021, 02:33:45 PM »

Second (5) shot group of the day with FGMM 168 gr.

The two other (5) shot groups were 0.466 and 0.423 MOA.

Overall, I think I could do better with FGMM, but plan is for next range session to be with handloads. Probably Varget and 8208 and starting with jam-0.020.

Ocean19

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2022, 12:34:39 AM »
Nice groups!!! I'm sure hand loads will tighten it up even smaller....

drck1000

Bolt Action Rifle Update - Sharing Experience
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2022, 05:39:38 PM »
Range day. Rezero after removing scope and change trigger. RTZ seemed about spot on.

Loaded up some with Varget and 8208. Same load range from the Rem 700. About 100-150 for faster with this barrel (26” as opposed to 20”).  Mostly shooting for data and comparison, as well as monitoring velocity for barrel speeding up. Seems like the velocity speed up leveled off. Total of 100 rounds.

Varget
41.0-43.0
175 gr SMK
2.1440 CBTO