N95 Masks Are Cheap (Read 1958 times)

RSN172

N95 Masks Are Cheap
« on: August 21, 2021, 07:59:55 AM »
A year ago I saw 5 packs of N95 masks selling for $67 or more.  You can buy 3M N95 masks today for as low as $1 ea, depending on the model number, as 3M makes about a dozen different kinds.  Even the blue medical N95 masks are less than $2 ea. I just bought 80 non-med and 20 med N95s. I use them mainly for woodworking.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: N95 Masks Are Cheap
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 04:15:06 PM »
A year ago I saw 5 packs of N95 masks selling for $67 or more.  You can buy 3M N95 masks today for as low as $1 ea, depending on the model number, as 3M makes about a dozen different kinds.  Even the blue medical N95 masks are less than $2 ea. I just bought 80 non-med and 20 med N95s. I use them mainly for woodworking.

This is what I use for sawdust when woodworking:

https://rzmask.com/

I like the easier on/off strap than most, and the replaceable filters with washable mask are good IMO.

The company rates them N95 or higher, but don't have independent testing yet.  I'm sure they are close enough, given the design.

For vapors and painting, I use the rubber 3M mask with replaceable filters.  You can buy a variety of those in many different grades of filtration.

Ignoring COVID paranoia, it pays to protect your one set of lungs from sawdust and paint particles.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 08:28:18 PM »
waiting for a K&N
Deeds Not Words

hvybarrels

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 11:54:30 PM »
I got the full face 3m just because I hate fogging up my eye protection. So convenient, and keeps the chips from sneaking in the side. A quick blast with the air hose and all good.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 03:03:06 AM »
I got the full face 3m just because I hate fogging up my eye protection. So convenient, and keeps the chips from sneaking in the side. A quick blast with the air hose and all good.

I've fallen in love with the $10 DeWalt bifocal eye pro.  I can keep them on the whole time instead of swapping to prescription glasses to read labels, cut sheets and whatever.

If I'm using the paint sprayer, I'll use the full face shield.  Different needs over running power tools and cutting wood.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 08:22:22 AM »
I wonder if the P100 filters are back in stock.  I occasionally need them for work.  I think I have 2-3 unopened pairs.  The mask body also tends to crack after a while.  They were nowhere to be found about a year ago. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 01:01:14 PM »
I wonder if the P100 filters are back in stock.  I occasionally need them for work.  I think I have 2-3 unopened pairs.  The mask body also tends to crack after a while.  They were nowhere to be found about a year ago.

Get plenty on Amazon.  The rush is over.

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 01:03:07 PM »
Get plenty on Amazon.  The rush is over.
Until the Lambda variant hits. . .

[sarcasm\]

At least partially. . .  :shake:

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 01:25:27 PM »
Buy from amazon now. Or if you really need later HMU. We bought some in early 2020.  Never used cause too bulk.

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 01:30:59 PM »
Buy from amazon now. Or if you really need later HMU. We bought some in early 2020.  Never used cause too bulk.
I'll check.  I'm supposed to get from work if I need for work. 

I've used my own around the house here and there for other stuff.  But it's been a while. 

RSN172

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 04:04:39 PM »
I just got a shipment of N95 masks I bought on EBAY. Not 3M brand but fits very well.  This was an order of 80 for $74 coming out of Sacramento,  CA.  I open the box and there's 8 boxes of 20, double what I ordered. That comes out to 46 cents per mask.