Passing background check (Read 857 times)

Brystont1

Passing background check
« on: September 10, 2021, 10:24:35 PM »
Aloha gang, just wanted to pose a question for a buddy of mine who’s looking to purchase his first gun.

So when he was younger he got arrested for assault on an officer. He was fighting someone and cop came up behind him, grabbed him and my friend elbowed the cop not knowing it was a cop. Buggah got arrested and the rest is history.

My question is, does anyone have any experience on how to rectify this issue? I remember walking in to HPD to get a PTA and some local Braddah was snapping at the cops because they denied him the permit because of a charge he had on his record. They told him all he needed to do was get a pardon from the governor. However my friend went into a LGS and they told him he’d have to get it expunged and he’d have to hire a lawyer and everything.

So does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Passing background check
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 12:48:59 AM »
You said he was arrested. Was he also convicted?  Or did he take a plea deal?

Was the conviction a felony?  Did he serve time?

Need way more input.
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

groveler

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 09:43:55 AM »
Aloha gang, just wanted to pose a question for a buddy of mine who’s looking to purchase his first gun.

So when he was younger he got arrested for assault on an officer. He was fighting someone and cop came up behind him, grabbed him and my friend elbowed the cop not knowing it was a cop. Buggah got arrested and the rest is history.

My question is, does anyone have any experience on how to rectify this issue? I remember walking in to HPD to get a PTA and some local Braddah was snapping at the cops because they denied him the permit because of a charge he had on his record. They told him all he needed to do was get a pardon from the governor. However my friend went into a LGS and they told him he’d have to get it expunged and he’d have to hire a lawyer and everything.

So does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?
I do, but as Flapp sez we need more info.  Better to do a in-person private sale in another state.
Probably cheaper.  Besides you get to visit family.
 :thumbsup:

Brystont1

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 12:20:18 AM »
Thank you for the replies gentlemen. I will get more info for you. I’d really like to help him get some guns.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 01:30:22 AM »
Thank you for the replies gentlemen. I will get more info for you. I’d really like to help him get some guns.

Maybe you could pass him this link (or a printed copy) for the HPD Permit to Acquire Firearms Questionnaire.

https://www.honolulupd.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/SOHFirearmsApplicationQues10_2017.pdf

If he answers "Yes" to any of the questions, he may have a problem being approved without additional effort.

Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

omnigun

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 08:21:30 AM »
I was at the police station, and twice I saw people that had issues with that questionnaire.  One was a pot card.  Basically  you can have pot or guns not both.   The second I think the guys situation was similar,  he had a small kind crime a way back.  The police said you need that expunged.  Sounded like the police was saying "goodluck" getting that done.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 09:48:44 PM »
I had a friend denied because he had an open burglary charge that he was arrested for when he was 18. The owner didn't want to press charges so the guy was never charged but the detective didn't close the case properly so it stayed on as an open investigation. He had to go through a relatively easy process of making some calls, getting a detective to close the case, and wait a few weeks for the system to show the changes.

That is one reason it matters the details of your friend's arrest.