My COVID Experience (Read 10121 times)

eyeeatingfish

Re: My COVID Experience
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2021, 08:05:57 PM »
I also got the J&J vaccine in the morning and that evening I felt pretty junk. Some chills but mostly just bad aches. Didn't sleep well but the next day I went to work. Didn't feel great but the aches were not as strong and I could work just fine.

I am pretty sure me and my whole family got covid in Jan 2020. Wife is a flight attendant who goes to Asia so she would have had a greater chance of being exposed. She got it first than my kids, then me. Of course we figured it was just a regular flu and there was no testing so we couldn't say for certain that it was covid. Though we had some flu symptoms others were absent and I remember we all coughed for weeks after so by the symptoms I think we all got it. The symptoms I got weren't actually that bad so I went to work because there was something I really needed to finish, felt pretty junk but it was tolerable.

I chose the J&J because it was closer to a traditional vaccine from what I understand and because I get real anxiety from needles so 1 shot had me sold. I didn't even care to get it for myself but more for my parents and brother with his new baby.

changemyoil66

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2021, 08:34:32 PM »
I also got the J&J vaccine in the morning and that evening I felt pretty junk. Some chills but mostly just bad aches. Didn't sleep well but the next day I went to work. Didn't feel great but the aches were not as strong and I could work just fine.

I am pretty sure me and my whole family got covid in Jan 2020. Wife is a flight attendant who goes to Asia so she would have had a greater chance of being exposed. She got it first than my kids, then me. Of course we figured it was just a regular flu and there was no testing so we couldn't say for certain that it was covid. Though we had some flu symptoms others were absent and I remember we all coughed for weeks after so by the symptoms I think we all got it. The symptoms I got weren't actually that bad so I went to work because there was something I really needed to finish, felt pretty junk but it was tolerable.

I chose the J&J because it was closer to a traditional vaccine from what I understand and because I get real anxiety from needles so 1 shot had me sold. I didn't even care to get it for myself but more for my parents and brother with his new baby.
We were in taiwan in december 2019 and warned they were up to some shit. Peeps i know who think they caught it in early 2020  said they had a flu that was out of the normal.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

omnigun

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 08:35:27 AM »
I caught a weird flu in January too from Vegas. Coughing for a week, fever.    But you never know.   Got the moderna vaxx.  First wasn't bad.  Second was bad for about 12 hours.   

oldfart

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 09:08:29 AM »
My workplace mandated it, so I walked into the Wal-Mart store and sat down.
It was Moderna. The second shot was terrible for about one day. Tylenol helped a lot.

My company just fired a 33 year veteran employee for refusing to comply.
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2021, 09:31:13 AM »
We were in taiwan in december 2019 and warned they were up to some shit. Peeps i know who think they caught it in early 2020  said they had a flu that was out of the normal.

I'm 50/50 I had it I think either Dec 2020, or Jan 2021.  Didn't think about it much until I shared my symptoms with other folks many weeks later, where they mentioned having the same and testing pos.  I read a lot of other folks had same, including a couple of football coaches.  I mean nothing definitive, but the symptoms were strange.  Probably the highest fever I can remember having. 

oldfart

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2021, 12:09:11 PM »

A lot of my family and friends got it in early 2020.
What, Me Worry?

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2021, 07:47:27 PM »
One of my wife's family all came down with it at the same time. They are a natural healing, holistic type of people that believe in natural foods, vitamins, healthy immune system, etc. and they didn't get the vaccine. The two kids (around 10 years old) got it but seemed to recover alright. The two parents in their 50's are currently laid out in bed. The father's blood oxygen fell all the way to 86% which medical officials have told me is about the time you need to go to the hospital ASAP. The wife went down to like 91% which even then is considered real serious and should see a doctor. They have breathing problems and sound barely functional but they don't want to go because they think people at the hospital will try to kill them. Been about a week now and we have been sending them food but not getting much update, hoping they are going to make it through, don't know what would happen to their kids if they both bit the dust (statistically unlikely).

omnigun

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2021, 10:12:03 PM »
One of my wife's family all came down with it at the same time. They are a natural healing, holistic type of people that believe in natural foods, vitamins, healthy immune system, etc. and they didn't get the vaccine. The two kids (around 10 years old) got it but seemed to recover alright. The two parents in their 50's are currently laid out in bed. The father's blood oxygen fell all the way to 86% which medical officials have told me is about the time you need to go to the hospital ASAP. The wife went down to like 91% which even then is considered real serious and should see a doctor. They have breathing problems and sound barely functional but they don't want to go because they think people at the hospital will try to kill them. Been about a week now and we have been sending them food but not getting much update, hoping they are going to make it through, don't know what would happen to their kids if they both bit the dust (statistically unlikely).

I feel sorry for the kids.  Worst case they lose their parents to an entirely preventable situation.  Hopefully everyone lives and learns.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2021, 10:29:59 PM »
I feel sorry for the kids.  Worst case they lose their parents to an entirely preventable situation.  Hopefully everyone lives and learns.

Show me where anyone in authority or with medical expertise has unequivocally said that.

"Entirely preventable" means the vaccine is 100% effective at preventing death (worst case result).

#ExtremePositionAgain
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2021, 09:00:25 AM »
Update

So the only thing that I stopped doing while having CV was working out due to quarantining.  Last week was my first week back in the gym.  I took it easy because there is not enough info on extreme workouts and recovering from having little to no symptoms. My backround is I have 22 years of weight lifting experience.  I never take time off just to let the body rest.  The only exception is when sick, injury or on vacation. But due to the years of consistent training, I know how my body responds.

When I go on vacation, I often don't workout. With the exception of Taiwan. Due to the time difference, we're at the gym at 7am. Because retail places dont' open till 11am anyways. 

So when I come back from vacay, the usual is that I lose strength. About 5-10% is the normal.  But also I lose my endurance.  Just warming up, I'm huffing and puffing.  And it takes about a week to get the lungs conditioned back to b4 I left for vacay and about 3 weeks to get the strength back.  This is why I kind of hate going on vacay. Months of work down the drain.  The loss of strength is mainly due to lack of eating. As I stated above in my 1st post, I eat less when not working out.

When I get the sick, I typically lose about 10% strength and it takes me about 5-6 weeks to get back to where I was b4 getting sick.  Same huffing and puffing when just warming up.  Again, strength loss due to not eating and the body healing.

So now on to CV.  This time it's out of the normal. I was not huffing and puffing during warm ups, like when coming back from vacay or being sick.  Which is good cause my O2 reading was normal anyways.  Strength is down 10-15%. But I am taking it very slow. I don't want to hurt myself by going hard too fast,, and the unknown of how CV reacts to working out.  Also what is out of the norm, I'm not huffing and puffing during warm ups.  And the negatives feel way heavier than normal.  So when doing a bench press, when you lower the bar to your chest, that's the negative force.  Then pushing the weight off your chest is positive force.  Same neg/pos goes with other exercises as well.  This is very out of the normal, as in never happened b4. The negs are always easier than the pos.  So to feel the negs being way harder and the pos force being explosive and easier is very strange. 

I did stop my creatine once I tested pos and took 10 days off before taking it again.  When I do cycle off creatine and start up again, it takes about 2 weeks for it to be in my system and working.  I can feel the difference on and off of it.  10 days is enough time to lose "creatine saturation" for myself.  So last week was my first week back and back on creatine, I felt like it was still in my system.  The normal is when off creatine, after the first set of the first exercise, I notice a huge decline in performance. But not this time. So it's like I never stopped taking it.  I have done many cycles in the past 20 years, so I know how my body responds to it.

I know that I lost weight, prob due to not eating because all my clothes feel baggier.  Appetite is back due to training again.

Other than that, there is no physical difference pre covid and now.  What I am struggling with is maintaining my cleanliness. I went thru all this trouble to avoid catching covid, and still caught it. Refer to 1st post.  I'm almost at the point of fuck it.

I still feel that I was lucky and it could have been way worst even though I am low risk.  Shit happens that's why.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2021, 02:58:31 PM »
I still feel that I was lucky and it could have been way worst even though I am low risk.  Shit happens that's why.

I'm glad you're doing well.

The fact is, however, you are not lucky.  You're experiencing what almost all COVID-infected people experience.  The vast majority have few to no symptoms and recover completely.

That makes you a part of the "expected outcome" population.  The "lucky" ones experience life-threatening complications and survive.

It’s unknown exactly how many cases are asymptomatic. Some estimates have
previously found that up to 80% of cases can be mild or asymptomatic.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/most-common-covid-19-symptoms_l_5ef61e10c5b612083c4cef39

So, you're in the majority, which really doesn't take much "luck!"  Appreciating you were not "unlucky" enough to be in the other group is, of course, to be applauded.  Many people take little things for granted far too often.

:thumbsup: :shaka:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2021, 09:57:25 PM »
I'm glad you're doing well.

The fact is, however, you are not lucky.  You're experiencing what almost all COVID-infected people experience.  The vast majority have few to no symptoms and recover completely.

That makes you a part of the "expected outcome" population.  The "lucky" ones experience life-threatening complications and survive.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/most-common-covid-19-symptoms_l_5ef61e10c5b612083c4cef39

So, you're in the majority, which really doesn't take much "luck!"  Appreciating you were not "unlucky" enough to be in the other group is, of course, to be applauded.  Many people take little things for granted far too often.

:thumbsup: :shaka:

I can't recall the numbers off the top of my head but the percentage of people who were reporting long term side effects were quite huge. I think the data might not be real accurate yet because for some of these side effects we don't know how long they will last. So someone might report 6 months of decreased lung function and we don't know yet whether it will be a lifetime effect or go away gradually. I think this is where focusing on just the case fatality rate is shortsighted because it could be that the worst thing about covid isn't how many people it killed but how many were left permanently harmed. I tried looking for some data yet but can't find hard numbers. Did find reports that it is bering studied though.

We are hoping that our friends don't suffer and serious long term lung damage.

My step mom had a bad case of pneumonia when she was younger and it prevents her from doing  very strenuous activities for the rest of her life.

changemyoil66

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2021, 10:12:46 PM »
Thats why i wanted to post an update. I guage my gym workout as the baseline. Because it is a strenuous activity, vs. sitting on the couch. That i know very well and do almost daily.

Today did legs and squated only 20lbs (5%) less than i normally do. And i stayed 20lbs less on purpose. Which means i could have gone heavier.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2021, 10:29:31 PM »
Thats why i wanted to post an update. I guage my gym workout as the baseline. Because it is a strenuous activity, vs. sitting on the couch. That i know very well and do almost daily.

Today did legs and squated only 20lbs (5%) less than i normally do. And i stayed 20lbs less on purpose. Which means i could have gone heavier.

Pretty good that you can actually measure because normally a lot of people might just go by feel. Problem is there that if someone lost 5% lung function they might not feel it unless they were measuring like you. Glad to hear it doesn't appear to have affected you.

My nurse friend did mention that the body has some ability to compensate with some lung function loss. Heck my body manages to compensate to keep me fat even when cutting my calories significantly!

changemyoil66

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2021, 10:37:29 PM »
I ran an O2 meter and was fine the entire time during covid.

When i first got the oximeter, i brought it to the gym (b4 catching covid) and used it right after my set. I was exhausted and huffing n puffing. O2 reading was normal. Then tried holding breath and taking a reading. Was normal. I did this just to see what happens.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2021, 08:19:39 PM »
I ran an O2 meter and was fine the entire time during covid.

When i first got the oximeter, i brought it to the gym (b4 catching covid) and used it right after my set. I was exhausted and huffing n puffing. O2 reading was normal. Then tried holding breath and taking a reading. Was normal. I did this just to see what happens.

I was wondering how free diving affected oxygen levels, I don't think our device is waterproof though. Would be interesting to see what level starts to make you pass out. I also wonder how accurate the part at the finger is compared to the oxygen level of the blood in the brain or somewhere else

changemyoil66

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2021, 08:38:55 AM »
So the 1 thing that I'm struggling with is maintaining my sanitation standard.  The thought is I've been thru so much humbug to stay clean, and still caught COVID, that is it really necessary?

Declined BBQ, parties, vacations, left the gym early or modified workout due to crowd, eat lunch at my desk, etc...

When shopping, I touch and item, I then immediately use hand sanitizer. Same goes with any pens used to sign credit card slips, or if I have to hand the cashier my card, touching door knobs or buttons.

The PITA of doning and doffing my mask. Thinking of switching to a surgical mask instead of a N95.

The above is just some of the things I do to stay clean.

hvybarrels

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2021, 08:47:18 AM »
So the 1 thing that I'm struggling with is maintaining my sanitation standard.  The thought is I've been thru so much humbug to stay clean, and still caught COVID, that is it really necessary?

Declined BBQ, parties, vacations, left the gym early or modified workout due to crowd, eat lunch at my desk, etc...

When shopping, I touch and item, I then immediately use hand sanitizer. Same goes with any pens used to sign credit card slips, or if I have to hand the cashier my card, touching door knobs or buttons.

The PITA of doning and doffing my mask. Thinking of switching to a surgical mask instead of a N95.

The above is just some of the things I do to stay clean.

Similar to lifting weights, we need exposure to germs to keep our immune system strong. The overemphasis of "sterilize everything" is actually doing us more harm than good.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

QUIETShooter

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2021, 08:56:40 AM »
I notice when I go to the grocery store, nobody ever utilizes the hand sanitizer that they have at the entrance and exit areas.

Seems like I'm the only one using it, lol!

But in all fairness maybe they sanitize their hands later with their own personal sanitizer.  But my feeling is if it is available you should sanitize your hands as soon as you can.

I wonder if everyone is getting too laxed.  They shouldn't.

With that being said, I think my immune system is pretty rock solid.  Small kid time we used to drink water and suck the lead pipe spigot at the playground and at school all the time.

And the 3 second rule never applied to us when we dropped food on the ground.  We were too poor to waste it.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

changemyoil66

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2021, 09:05:28 AM »
Similar to lifting weights, we need exposure to germs to keep our immune system strong. The overemphasis of "sterilize everything" is actually doing us more harm than good.

I know a few retired pediatric's and they said the best thing you can do for children is let them play in the dirt. Don't be cloroxing everything.  This was prior to COVID.  Same guys not getting the vaxx. And since they're retired, they're over 65, more like 70's.