Alec Baldwin shoots and kills someone (Read 20406 times)

changemyoil66

Alec Baldwin shoots and kills someone
« on: October 21, 2021, 08:53:52 PM »
And injures another on set.

Reminds me of Brandon Lee.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ren

Re: Alec Baldwin shoots and kills someone
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 09:24:50 PM »
The same person who is against gun ownership, shoots someone and kills her.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 09:25:42 PM »
According to reports so far, they were either rehearsing or filming a scene.  The accident happened in the middle of the scene.

At least it wasn't like others who were goofing around when it happened.

You'd think the studios would hire someone who knows something about guns to work with the props department when using guns.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 09:32:11 PM »
Hes probably going to use this to say how dangerous guns are so no one should have them.

But that sucks for the worker who got shot.

ren

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 09:37:50 PM »
Its a tragedy no doubt but the Hollywood industry who makes tons of $$ off of gun violence is the same industry that is against private ownership of guns. They parrot the all too common narrative that GUN OWNERS are dangerous.
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 09:45:42 PM »
Hes probably going to use this to say how dangerous guns are so no one should have them.

But that sucks for the worker who got shot.
I was thinking this. Luckily, its a western so revolver or pump rifle/shotgun.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

aieahound

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 09:51:04 PM »
I was thinking this. Luckily, its a western so revolver or pump rifle/shotgun.

Must have been a through and through for one dead and one injured. Single action.
Off a blank ?
Did he not know and keep shooting ?
And it wasn’t other actors that were shot so wasn’t during a scene.

No Facts. Just Conjecture.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 05:58:03 AM »
Hope they release an in-depth report as to how this accident happened.

You'd think the studios would hire someone who knows something about guns to work with the props department when using guns.

Yes, after the Brandon Lee incident one would expect improved protocols would be in place.

Profit before safety?
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Rocky

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 07:22:51 AM »
My question is  " Why was there live ammunition on a set in the first place" ?  :wtf:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Jl808

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 07:26:44 AM »
Brandon Lee supposedly got shot on set when the prop gun had a bullet in the barrel and blank cartridges were used. 

The charge on the blank cartridge propelled the bullet in the barrel.

I wonder if its the same here.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 07:59:08 AM »
My question is  " Why was there live ammunition on a set in the first place" ?  :wtf:

Exactly.

There are scenes when the character is pointing the revolver at someone and you can clearly see the bullets in the chambers.  Movies strive for realistic scenes so this is understandable.  Those rounds are inert rounds.

So one would imagine there would be protocols in place.  Like you mentioned, why was there live ammunition on set?  And truth be told, an inert round looks the same as live rounds at a glance.

Just like we do a safety check on a firearm, when it is handed to another person that person should do a safety check also.  It's a protocol that insures the firearm is safe at all times.

I bet the movie industry will finally get their heads out of their asses after this incident.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 08:00:57 AM »
Brandon Lee supposedly got shot on set when the prop gun had a bullet in the barrel and blank cartridges were used. 

The charge on the blank cartridge propelled the bullet in the barrel.

I wonder if its the same here.

It does seem like deja vu. :(

aieahound

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 08:11:52 AM »
I still don’t understand hitting the director of photography and the director.
Also the live ammo.

“A live single round was accidentally fired on set by the principal actor, hitting both the Director of Photography, Local 600 member Halyna Hutchins, and Director Joel Souza,” the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) Local 44 said in an email to its members.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/prop-gun-using-blanks-still-052227936.html

macsak

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2021, 08:43:33 AM »
Many things could have gone wrong with this.

1) Brandon Lee situation. Squib type load. Projectile in the barrel. Then blanks used which pushes the head down the barrel.
2) Plugged barrel weld or like internal devise became loose and was propelled like above. This differs from a military BFA.  Many gas operated weapons need plugged barrels to operate (AR15).  If not, you have to pull the charging handle after every round.
3) Live ammo used (unlikely, but possible).  Mix up of prop ammo and live ammo. If it was a revolver, many movies, you see the head in the cylinder when watching from the front.

We will have to wait to see.

For 2 people being shot, it could have been a frontal scene so he is shooting at the camera.  That's if it was for a scene or rehearsal.  Then maybe went thru 1 person and into the other. Unknown yet.  If this was not a rehearsal, like they're just goofing off or something, then that's a different story.

Some are saying that the actor should know the condition of the gun and check, or don't point the gun at anyone anyways. That's not how Hollywood works. Actors rely on the prop guy.  And the actors focus on acting, not props.  Especially if the gun isn't a main part of the storyline like John Wick. But even then, does Keanu load his own mags with blanks to verify, or does the prop people do it for him and hand said gun to the actors.

6716J

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2021, 09:13:58 AM »
As much as I don't like Baldwin, none of the blame is at his feet. He is just a paid monkey in that he is handed an item and directed on what to do with it. He could have checked the "PROP" a million times and he would have seen rounds in the gun, because there are rounds in it. Revolvers have prop rounds for "the look" of seeing a loaded revolver. And semis have at least 1 "round" for the press check shot or mag changes to show rounds in a magazine. So unless you can take them out and weigh them, you couldn't tell the difference by looks alone. The persons responsible are the Prop Masters and Firearms Coordinator. It is their job to ensure there are no live rounds anywhere on the set. PERIOD. Ask Martin at Koffinwurks how that process is supposed to go as they rent props to the film industry here in Hawaii. The worst part of all of this is that the guys responsible for the props will live with this forever and they are responsible for the death of a coworker.

Sadly, there is one dead and another injured. And in 6 months, it will be back to normal for the film industry after this accident, until the next one. On the plus side of the industry is that they do have a fairly exemplary record of safety with firearms. They are discharged thousands of time annually with the most serious incident being a powder burn
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Jl808

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 10:37:23 AM »
Manslaughter?
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Heavies

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2021, 11:12:09 AM »
Since 99% of these Hollywood actors are anti-gun nuts, all guns should be banned from them and all unsafe use of firearms in this industry should be completely banned.

Actors can’t be trusted with guns, obviously.

aieahound

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2021, 06:09:17 PM »

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2021, 08:23:18 PM »
Must have been a through and through for one dead and one injured. Single action.
Off a blank ?
Did he not know and keep shooting ?
And it wasn’t other actors that were shot so wasn’t during a scene.

No Facts. Just Conjecture.

I thought most of these stage guns had a blocked barrel so an actual bullet shouldn't even be able to go down the barrel... I wonder if the barrel obstructor came loose over time and shot out?

I remember in a stage combat class I took in college they covered using guns in acting. They said even if blanks were being used you should aim the gun off to the side of the actor just in case.