Dillon Experts - Need Advice (Read 1420 times)

Inspector

Dillon Experts - Need Advice
« on: November 07, 2021, 02:41:47 PM »
I never thought I would shoot enough 9mm to where I would feel the need to get a progressive press. But with all the training I have been doing and all the live fire holster practice I have been shooting a lot of 9mm and I feel I am justified in getting one.

I have been looking at the Dillon Square Deal B and it appears it is the one I want. However there is also the RL550C.

1. I am not too sure all the differences and advantages between the 2. But the Square Deal auto indexes and the RL550C does not. Is there one machine over the other I should consider?
2. My other questions are about all the other things that they offer like the tool head and tools. Are they worth buying?
3. Is the strong mount worth buying?
4. How about all the bins and trays?
5. Is the low powder sensor worth getting?
6. I have always heard that Dillon is the best. Is there another progressive I should consider over the Dillon?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

mrgaf

Re: Dillon Experts - Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 04:41:27 PM »
I never thought I would shoot enough 9mm to where I would feel the need to get a progressive press. But with all the training I have been doing and all the live fire holster practice I have been shooting a lot of 9mm and I feel I am justified in getting one.

I have been looking at the Dillon Square Deal B and it appears it is the one I want. However there is also the RL550C.

1. I am not too sure all the differences and advantages between the 2. But the Square Deal auto indexes and the RL550C does not. Is there one machine over the other I should consider?
2. My other questions are about all the other things that they offer like the tool head and tools. Are they worth buying?
6. I have always heard that Dillon is the best. Is there another progressive I should consider over the Dillon?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

I had a SDB and currently have a RL550B. The square deal was a great press but changing the tool head, dies, etc was expensive and a pain in the arse and you can’t load rifle on it. The auto indexing was nice though.
The 550 is a GREAT press. It accepts any standard die, caliber, tool heads are cheap,  caliber  conversions are easy and somewhat cheaper than the square deal. Drawbacks might be its initial cost is higher and it’s a manual index which, for me, was not an impediment, you just have to get the rhythm down and once you do that you can haul ass on the 550.
I swear by the strong mount but not Dillons. Take a look at in-line fabrication. Have two of their mounts and they’re built like tanks! As for the low powder sensor, why not? I got one and I love it. Another accessory either for the SDB or 550 is a roller handle rather than the ball handle. Easy on the wrist and hand. Once again in-line offers them. Extra bins and trays are always nice to have.
Had the hornady auto index about 20 years ago. It was good but the primer feed, auto index and finished shell eject we’re not as dependable as I would like. Other than that a great press and from what I’ve read Hornady addressed all those problems and revamped them.
I recommend the RL550C
Let me know what you wind up with! Hope this helps ya!

https://inlinefabrication.com/

Gil
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

ren

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 04:59:44 PM »
The SDB has Dillon proprietary dies and are smaller than the more common industry wide dies.
If you plan on just reloading pistol the SDB may be worth it.
The 550 is more flexible but it doesn't auto advance. It's a nice to have feature in my opinion. The tool head concept can get a bit pricey or inconvenient as the whole set of dies and powder measure is removed for a caliber change. There are case feeders for the 550 albeit just pistol and there are a lot more accessories for it than the SDB.
In summary the 550 can do both pistol and rifle reloading and act as a single stage press.
I also like Inline Fab's products. I have their quick change system for my 550 and it is rock solid.
Deeds Not Words

dogman

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 05:02:01 PM »
Not an expert at anything but do own a Dillon 550 that was given to me. I have only reloaded revolver cartridges with it. About four years ago when we started shooting steel with lead or polymer coated bullets, it became worth it to load 9mm rather than pay $15.00 / 50 rounds polymer. I decided to try the Hornady AP. It was on sale with "free shipping" at Midway and cost me less than $400 shipped. I have loaded 38 special, .357, .41, .44. and .500 magnum with it. Die changes with "Lock N load" bushings make it easier than changing tool heads on the Dillon. I now have it set up and only load 9mm with it. I added the Mr. Bullet mini bullet feeder. Occasionally, I have to put a finger on a case to drop into the resize die. The Hornady has five die stations to Dillons four die station and the Hornady has a case feeder if wanted (I don't have one). With the current factory ammo prices, I load a lot more 9mm now. So I have the Dillon 550, and choose to load all my 9mm with the Hornady AP. If I had a Dillon 1100 it would be different.

Heavies

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 04:40:21 AM »
I’ve made thousands of rounds of 9mm on my used Square Deal. Two years ago, purchased a cal change set for .357, and also produced thousands of rounds of .357.   When I bought the press used, it already came with another powder throw, and .357 is still small pistol primer, so changing out is not a big deal, it’s no a “quick disconnect” affair, and requires messing with four, iirc, Allen cap screws, but not a big deal.
(I usually do 5 hundred or more at a time before I need to switch cals)

Once the dies are set up, you don’t have to readjust when changing cals.

I really don’t regret the purchase at all.  Very fast, efficient, and enjoyable to pump out cheap range fodder, and cowboy competition loads.

If you intend to only do pistol, I think the SD is an awesome choice for a lower cost 100% progressive press. Even if you only have one power throw, it is not a huge deal to remove and replace the hopper. However, the powder adjustment is finicky, as it has no markings. You would need to adjust, weigh, and readjust. (After market does make a adjustment screw with markings to make this easier, but that’s an added cost)

Of course I have no experience with a 550 or 650, that may be worlds better.

If you intend on progressive rifle reloading, that would be a no go on the square deal, for pistol only, I love it.

Inspector

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 04:49:01 AM »
I’ve made thousands of rounds of 9mm on my used Square Deal. Two years ago, purchased a cal change set for .357, and also produced thousands of rounds of .357.   When I bought the press used, it already came with another powder throw, and .357 is still small pistol primer, so changing out is not a big deal, it’s no a “quick disconnect” affair, and requires messing with four, iirc, Allen cap screws, but not a big deal.
(I usually do 5 hundred or more at a time before I need to switch cals)

Once the dies are set up, you don’t have to readjust when changing cals.

I really don’t regret the purchase at all.  Very fast, efficient, and enjoyable to pump out cheap range fodder, and cowboy competition loads.

If you intend to only do pistol, I think the SD is an awesome choice for a lower cost 100% progressive press. Even if you only have one power throw, it is not a huge deal to remove and replace the hopper. However, the powder adjustment is finicky, as it has no markings. You would need to adjust, weigh, and readjust. (After market does make a adjustment screw with markings to make this easier, but that’s an added cost)

Of course I have no experience with a 550 or 650, that may be worlds better.

If you intend on progressive rifle reloading, that would be a no go on the square deal, for pistol only, I love it.
Thanks B!!!!

One thing I sort of wanted to eliminate from my reloading mass quantities is having to look down into the case to make sure the powder dropped. My eyes are getting worse and it is getting harder to see inside the case. Are you doing this? I know there are powder level dies that are easier to see but I don’t think the SDB has enough stations.

Heavies

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 05:05:31 AM »
Thanks B!!!!

One thing I sort of wanted to eliminate from my reloading mass quantities is having to look down into the case to make sure the powder dropped. My eyes are getting worse and it is getting harder to see inside the case. Are you doing this? I know there are powder level dies that are easier to see but I don’t think the SDB has enough stations.

Yes. My apologies on this. The square deal makes checking the powder very difficult. There is no room for a powder check die. And even less to see in the case.  This is a major “con” to this press.

I usually check every 20 rounds or so by pulling it off the press, and weighing. (Have to pull out a little case retainer pin)

On the upside, once the ball is rolling, the throw has been very consistent in throwing the type of powder I’m using. (Trail boss, and Bullseye)

Inspector

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 05:18:54 AM »
Yes. My apologies on this. The square deal makes checking the powder very difficult. There is no room for a powder check die. And even less to see in the case.  This is a major “con” to this press.

I usually check every 20 rounds or so by pulling it off the press, and weighing. (Have to pull out a little case retainer pin)

On the upside, once the ball is rolling, the throw has been very consistent in throwing the type of powder I’m using. (Trail boss, and Bullseye)
Thanks! I just figured out that newer Dillons have a powder drop failsafe including the SDB. So that answers that for me. Older Dillons do not have this but apparently there is an upgrade kit. I am worried about squib loads.

That is GREAT news that the powder measure is consistent with Trail Boss! Obviously Trail Boss has its challenges.

I only intend to load pistol cartridges so I may get a caliber change for 38 or 357. But mostly I have been practicing with 9mm so I have been shooting a lot of it lately.

Thanks again for your comments!  :shaka:

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2021, 06:30:17 AM »
Thanks! I just figured out that newer Dillons have a powder drop failsafe including the SDB. So that answers that for me. Older Dillons do not have this but apparently there is an upgrade kit. I am worried about squib loads.

That is GREAT news that the powder measure is consistent with Trail Boss! Obviously Trail Boss has its challenges.

I only intend to load pistol cartridges so I may get a caliber change for 38 or 357. But mostly I have been practicing with 9mm so I have been shooting a lot of it lately.

Thanks again for your comments!  :shaka:
=============
If you run unique powder with light bullets the case will fill near the top.
Real easy to verify the presence of powder like that. :rofl:

but seriously I like the sdb...
---I have 6 dillon machines including 3 square deals. (Starting from year 1981) That says something, in and of itself doesn't it?
---SDB is great for high volume pistol ammo, especially if the calibers you shoot use small primers. Changing the primer feed adds a little time to the conversion process. Caliber conversion takes a few minutes.
---I mounted mine on a big block of wood.
---standard akro mills plastic trays...easy to get extras
---n/a for the SDB
---yes- consider everybody else first. There are many good machines out there. But Dillon started the craze.

I know I posted this before but I like the great music on this video, LOL
What, Me Worry?