SIX REASONS TO OWN A REVOLVER (Read 2845 times)

Inspector

SIX REASONS TO OWN A REVOLVER
« on: November 13, 2021, 06:02:40 AM »
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

Re: SIX REASONS TO OWN A REVOLVER
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 09:11:35 AM »
How about reasons to own 6 (or more) revolvers?

My reasons:
1 - Need multiple .357 Mag revolvers.  To try different barrel lengths as well as various uses/applications. 
2 - .38 SPL snubbie for various reasons
3 - .44 Mag just because it's a badass cartridge 
4 - .41 Mag to be unique, and it was one of my dad's favorite handguns
5 - .22 lr revolver, becuase they are just fun to shoot.  Great teaching handgun as well. 

Looks like I have a couple of revolvers to add to the "want list".   ;D

stangzilla

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 09:16:36 AM »
1 more reason: 
much easier to retrieve brass.  just eject them into your hand 

Inspector

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 09:17:34 AM »
All GREAT reasons!

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 09:20:22 AM »
1 more reason: 
much easier to retrieve brass.  just eject them into your hand
What?  Haven't you seen the TV shows and movies where the brass hits the ground after?  Like TWD when Rick shot like 20+ rounds with his revolver, all head shots, from 50+ yards, while muzzle pointed to the walker's feet.   ;D

:rofl:

Inspector

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 09:26:19 AM »
What?  Haven't you seen the TV shows and movies where the brass hits the ground after?  Like TWD when Rick shot like 20+ rounds with his revolver, all head shots, from 50+ yards, while muzzle pointed to the walker's feet.   ;D

:rofl:
How about when they do magazine changes on their revolvers?  :rofl:

stangzilla

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 09:29:03 AM »
some revolvers shoot multiple calibers without any changes in the gun
like the 460 S&W can shoot 460, 454 Casull, 45 Colt

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 09:31:09 AM »
How about reasons to own 6 (or more) revolvers?

My reasons:
1 - Need multiple .357 Mag revolvers.  To try different barrel lengths as well as various uses/applications. 
2 - .38 SPL snubbie for various reasons
3 - .44 Mag just because it's a badass cartridge 
4 - .41 Mag to be unique, and it was one of my dad's favorite handguns
5 - .22 lr revolver, becuase they are just fun to shoot.  Great teaching handgun as well. 

Looks like I have a couple of revolvers to add to the "want list".   ;D
6- 9 mm revolver.  Common caliber for ammo that I try to have on hand for semi-autos. 

Inspector

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 09:32:09 AM »
I just sold my Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull/45 Colt. That cartridge makes the 44 mag look like a pussy cartridge.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Inspector

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 09:32:42 AM »
6- 9 mm revolver.  Common caliber for ammo that I try to have on hand for semi-autos.
I gots 3 of them now. I like shooting them a lot!

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 09:35:26 AM »
And some revolvers that can swap out cylinders.

Inspector

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2021, 09:37:39 AM »
And some revolvers that can swap out cylinders.
I want a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 38/357 cylinder and 9mm cylinder.  :love:

stangzilla

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 09:59:02 AM »
I want a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 38/357 cylinder and 9mm cylinder.  :love:

me too.  now that I have a 9mm pistol, that blackhawk looks like one i would like to have

stangzilla

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 10:02:23 AM »
my six reasons:

1:  Colt Python
2.  Colt Anaconda
3.  Korth
4.  Manhurin
5.  Ruger GP100
6.  S&W model 29
7.  S&W 686
8.  Ruger Super Blackhawk
9.  Ruger Redhawk
10. Ruger LCR

I needed a top ten, too many good revolvers   :shaka:

stangzilla

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2021, 11:24:10 AM »
revolvers usually eat any type of ammo: wadcutters, semiwadcutters, jhp, lead bullets, jacketed bullets
length of cartridge not so much of a problem.  as long as it fits in the cylinder, it'll work. 

drck1000

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2021, 11:28:31 AM »
revolvers usually eat any type of ammo: wadcutters, semiwadcutters, jhp, lead bullets, jacketed bullets
length of cartridge not so much of a problem.  as long as it fits in the cylinder, it'll work.
That is one aspect of revolvers that gives me pause.  I don't know much about that aspect, nor have familiarity with anyone local who can do some tuning and regular maintenance.  Not that I'm shooting revolvers that much lately, but still.  Whereas for my semi-autos (besides 1911s), I can do most of the needed regular maintenance. 

Inspector

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 11:45:03 AM »
Had an interesting problem many years ago. Someone gave me 2k 158gr LSWC for my 357/38. The lead was soft and the lube not so good. So I decided to just load up a bunch of bunny farts in 357 using a known powder charge. I loaded about 100 and crimped them nicely in the crimp groove. I figure they would make good practice rounds. When I took them to the range, low and behold they were too long! Couldn’t close my cylinder. Never bothered to check the OAL of the cartridge. I have never seen such a long bullet beyond the crimp groove in 357/358 boolits. What was interesting is that they made a 38 cartridge just fine. OAL was within specs. Same boolit in 357 was too long. So I had to disassemble the 100 rounds and reloaded them into 38 cases. They also gave me 1k 148gr LWC. I am still using them as practice rounds but I am finally using them all up.

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 11:54:11 AM »
Another aspect of revolvers is familiarity with malfunctions, or what can go wrong.

I've seen some interesting things, like Inspector said.  But wasn't with my guns. 

I've seen someone able to get a .357 Mag round into "firing position" (is there a term for that) in a .38 SPL revolver.  It ended up locking up the cylinder in that position.  I was RO that say, but was on the other side of the range.  I believe they had to get a file into the gap between the cylinder and barrel to trim the nose down.  That said, I've seen many revolvers, like most of mine, that that gap is quite tight.  I don't know if I could fit a file in that gap in my revolvers. 

stangzilla

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2021, 12:51:05 PM »
zero chance of a magazine malfunction

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2021, 01:01:37 PM »
zero chance of a magazine malfunction

My biggest worry is OPERATOR Malfunction.

I've seen lots of seasoned firearms users accidentally hit the mag release while focused on the target.  It's easy to do, especially if you opted for an extended release button.  Sometimes the mag just moves enough to stop a feed but isn't completely ejected.  But, if you're on the ground chasing a critically needed mag, that's not good.

That might leave one live round already chambered.  However, there's also a chance you grabbed the mag release before chambering the first round, leaving you with a nice, empty metal (and possible plastic) blunt object in your hand to use as a defensive weapon.

That's not a concern with a simpler-to-operate revolver.  You need practice with the speed loaders, but at that point you won't be accidentally ejecting your live ammo during a gunfight.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall