Are you ready to bug out anywhere/anytime? (Read 732 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Are you ready to bug out anywhere/anytime?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2022, 11:19:06 AM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention my safe has an electronic keypad. So those batteries get replaced every year as well. I always keep extras for all my devices (especially TV remotes). And I take all the batteries out of devices I don’t intend to use for a while such as my stud finder.  :rofl:

Hows car break ins over there?  Like is it a concern like how it is in HI?

Inspector

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2022, 11:35:01 AM »
Hows car break ins over there?  Like is it a concern like how it is in HI?
I can’t tell you how many times my wife left her purse on the front seat and I forgot to lock the car. Same goes for my leaving my phone in the car. Basically nonexistent. I won’t say they don’t happen. Just that it is rare. In my neighborhood cars park in the driveway overnight. Have not heard of any break-ins since I moved here.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2022, 12:44:55 PM »
   The most common and likely BO scenario is a fire.  :shake:

Excerpt from link below

"Pre-HYST, you wake up in the night to the sound of your smoke alarms.  The house is on fire!  You roll out of bed naked, stumble about trying to put some clothes on and eventually manage to be 'decent'.  You dash out into the living room, which is now filled with smoke, and you start searching for Whiskers the Cat, who you finally find under the sofa.  He doesn't come when you call, and you can't quite reach him so you spend some time working on that.  When you do manage to fish the ungrateful creature out from under there, you stand up with him to try to get out of the house - but it's too late - you are overcome by smoke and you die on the floor.

Post-HYST, you wake up in the night to the sound of your smoke alarms.  The house is on fire!  You roll out of bed naked, snatch your BOB and your wife's BOB out from under the bed, grab your laptop bag, and dash out of the door.  Your wife, who grabbed Junior out of his crib in your bedroom is right behind you.  She's naked too.  (May as well get as much play out of that as I can...)  The whole family rendezvous at the mailbox, where you all unzip your BOBs and pull on some clothes.  Whoever is dressed first dials 911 on the cell phone.  If the weather is warm, you can call before you get dressed.  Health and Wealth protected.

Too bad about Whiskers, but you were more of a dog person anyway... "

Ours are right next to the bed as is a cell phone.
Throw it out the window, follow it and we have . . .

Full change of clothes (2x underwear and socks)
Meds
$100 in small bills
Set of all keys, vehicles, home, storage
Flash drive with all important docs (Marriage license, firearm registrations,vehicle titles, Birth certificates, cherished photos, contacts etc...)
2 meals 1 liter water +
Extra pair of glasses
IFAK + misc medical
hygiene (toothbrush, paste, soap, washcloth and towel

There are other BO things like fire starter, knife, flashlight,  compass, water purification etc . . so it's an all around BOB

Again, I will refer you to The HYST page of the site below but GREAT info here all the way around
https://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

We had a fire drill the first night of field training for college ROTC.

The regs said, in case of a fire alarm, put on HARD sole shoes and wrap yourself in a blanket.  Do not take anything else.

We had all our shoes under our bunks, so sliding our feet into a pair was quick.  The problem many had was they didn't read the reg and were walking around in flip-flops/slippers.  They also didn't have a blanket, which is why we stood around for 30 minutes outside in the chilly night air -- to drive home that point.

If you want your BOB to be accessible in an emergency evac, it's better to leave them in an outside detached shed, or in your vehicle.  Being in the car provides double duty as a BOB and as a Get Home bag -- for when something happens and you can't make it home that day.

Anyway, I always sleep with hard sole shoes next to the bed now -- zippered boots.  And I have a smaller blanket than for the King bed -- just for evac purposes. 

Instead of a blanket, you could also keep a robe in the bedroom.  Anything that can be thrown around you.  It's not so much about being buck naked in front of the house as it is having some protection from anything that might cause injury -- like fire?
Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it.

changemyoil66

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2022, 01:12:11 PM »

Anyway, I always sleep with hard sole shoes next to the bed now -- zippered boots. 

Larry Lawton said in a YT vid that you can tell when there's going to be a fight. Everyone is wearing shoes.  This comment gave me a chuckle as I thought about that.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2022, 01:17:10 PM »
Larry Lawton said in a YT vid that you can tell when there's going to be a fight. Everyone is wearing shoes.  This comment gave me a chuckle as I thought about that.

I guess he's never seen Billy Jack getting ready to fight...

Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it.

changemyoil66

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2022, 01:27:08 PM »
   The most common and likely BO scenario is a fire.  :shake:

Excerpt from link below

"Pre-HYST, you wake up in the night to the sound of your smoke alarms.  The house is on fire!  You roll out of bed naked, stumble about trying to put some clothes on and eventually manage to be 'decent'.  You dash out into the living room, which is now filled with smoke, and you start searching for Whiskers the Cat, who you finally find under the sofa.  He doesn't come when you call, and you can't quite reach him so you spend some time working on that.  When you do manage to fish the ungrateful creature out from under there, you stand up with him to try to get out of the house - but it's too late - you are overcome by smoke and you die on the floor.

Post-HYST, you wake up in the night to the sound of your smoke alarms.  The house is on fire!  You roll out of bed naked, snatch your BOB and your wife's BOB out from under the bed, grab your laptop bag, and dash out of the door.  Your wife, who grabbed Junior out of his crib in your bedroom is right behind you.  She's naked too.  (May as well get as much play out of that as I can...)  The whole family rendezvous at the mailbox, where you all unzip your BOBs and pull on some clothes.  Whoever is dressed first dials 911 on the cell phone.  If the weather is warm, you can call before you get dressed.  Health and Wealth protected.

Too bad about Whiskers, but you were more of a dog person anyway... "

Ours are right next to the bed as is a cell phone.
Throw it out the window, follow it and we have . . .

Full change of clothes (2x underwear and socks)
Meds
$100 in small bills
Set of all keys, vehicles, home, storage
Flash drive with all important docs (Marriage license, firearm registrations,vehicle titles, Birth certificates, cherished photos, contacts etc...)
2 meals 1 liter water +
Extra pair of glasses
IFAK + misc medical
hygiene (toothbrush, paste, soap, washcloth and towel

There are other BO things like fire starter, knife, flashlight,  compass, water purification etc . . so it's an all around BOB

Again, I will refer you to The HYST page of the site below but GREAT info here all the way around
https://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

Funny cause we have 3 cats. And our condo has had about 8 false alarms in the past 1.5 years. It happens so often that unless I smell or see smoke, we're like F-it.  The most recent false alarm was mid December when my mom was cat sitting cause we were in Vegas. She text me and I told her no worry unless there's smoke. Sure enough, 3 mins later the all clear came on.

But back to the cats, when our alarm goes off, I have about 1 minute before all 3 go under the bed.  So what I do is immediately close the bedroom door.  Then it's try and grab them.

Inspector

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2022, 01:28:27 PM »
I guess he's never seen Billy Jack getting ready to fight...

That was filmed in the Prescott Town Square.  :love:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

groveler

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 01:43:49 PM »
Don't plan to "Bug out".  I already did that 35 some years ago.
But fir traveling you always want water, space blanket, and multi tool.
Food isn't the highest priority.  You can go a long time without food.
Remember the rule of "Threes".
 :thumbsup: