Sig Sauer get Army next gen Squad weapon (Read 5433 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Sig Sauer get Army next gen Squad weapon
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2022, 10:14:16 PM »
Anyone wondering why all the vids of the XM5 and xm250 are all supressed?

I wonder how the recoil is without it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 11:04:05 PM by changemyoil66 »

GlockNewb

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2022, 08:46:45 AM »
Anyone wondering why all the vids of the XM5 and xm250 are all suppressed?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Brownells just released a review:

Based on his description, seems like the suppressor will be standard issue with each weapon. IMO, I don’t see any reason to NOT have a suppressor if you have access to one.
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

drck1000

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 08:55:33 AM »
It's FDE!  CMO better start saving up!  Already "matchy matchy"! 

If suppressors were legal in HI, I'd be more broke than I am now. . .

On another forums, there was quite a bit of discussion (arguing really) on suppressors, particularly the need, utility, etc.  Interesting that discussion and opinions were almost to the 9 vs 45 level. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2022, 09:01:18 AM »
It's FDE!  CMO better start saving up!  Already "matchy matchy"! 

If suppressors were legal in HI, I'd be more broke than I am now. . .

On another forums, there was quite a bit of discussion (arguing really) on suppressors, particularly the need, utility, etc.  Interesting that discussion and opinions were almost to the 9 vs 45 level.

I def aint spending $8K on this.  Matchy matchy or not.

I look at it this way, your basic troops don't need it.  It's just another thing to spend money on and have to maintain or lose.  But again, the recoil without it must be huge. Try CQB with this beast.  I foresee them doing what Israel did with the Tavor, they went back to the M4.

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2022, 09:07:25 AM »
I def aint spending $8K on this.  Matchy matchy or not.

I look at it this way, your basic troops don't need it.  It's just another thing to spend money on and have to maintain or lose.  But again, the recoil without it must be huge. Try CQB with this beast.  I foresee them doing what Israel did with the Tavor, they went back to the M4.
Go back at the start of your 1911 thread. . .  ;D

Have you shot suppressed? 

changemyoil66

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2022, 09:18:07 AM »
Go back at the start of your 1911 thread. . .  ;D

Have you shot suppressed?

Never. I planned to in Vegas, but lost too much $ and didn't want to burn thru any more.

drck1000

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2022, 09:37:52 AM »
Never. I planned to in Vegas, but lost too much $ and didn't want to burn thru any more.
"You chose poorly" - Templar Knight

If they were legal in HI, I could have them (at least one) for handgun (9mm), AR, and bolt guns.  I could use the same can for both my both guns, but I'd probably get one for each.   8)

I have buddies who have tuned their .300 blk subsonics to be pretty quiet, or at least a lot less noisy. 

GlockNewb

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2022, 10:10:44 AM »

I look at it this way, your basic troops don't need it.  It's just another thing to spend money on and have to maintain or lose. 

Government never seems to have an issue spending money on  things that require maintenance or can be lost. *cough*RAIL*cough*

Basic troops, totally, most likely the last to get the new hotness - spec.ops will be first in line. The cans might be gone or scaled back by the time grunts get them.

drck1000

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2022, 12:54:56 PM »
"higher pressures to allow flatter shooting than 6.5 creedmoor out to 1000 yards with 13" barrel" (or something like that)  8)

That will be interesting to see.  But maybe they just put a steel cartridge base on a 6.5 PRC. . .

robtmc

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2022, 01:54:55 PM »
"higher pressures to allow flatter shooting than 6.5 creedmoor out to 1000 yards with 13" barrel" (or something like that)  8)

Got to wonder about barrel throat erosion if they try to get the ballistics they mention with that short of a barrel.

I say BS out of a barrel that short.

drck1000

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2022, 03:04:57 PM »
Got to wonder about barrel throat erosion if they try to get the ballistics they mention with that short of a barrel.

I say BS out of a barrel that short.
Right?  I'm no expert on that stuff, but from my research into the "barrel burning" cartridges recently, many 6mm-7mm cartridges (like the 6.5 PRC) are pushing things.  Different context of competition vs combat, but some of those cartridges are shooting out barrels in the 1000 round range, or less.  Plus, rate of fire makes degradation worse. . .

For my 6.5 cm bolt gun, I'll be happy to get 3-4k out that barrel at "safe and sane" rate of fire. 

Teichi

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2022, 06:59:55 AM »
Brownell's

changemyoil66

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2022, 08:44:22 AM »
Watched the Brownells vid, they haven't shot it yet because even for them, they dont' have enough ammo for a range day.  So still no vids on unsurpressed shooting.  Or room clearing.

I think the XM5 would be a better DMR type of weapon. But the XM250 is a home run to replace the M240 and M249.

mill8316

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2022, 01:29:29 PM »

Here is a video with some info. When I first read the press release I thought it was 6.8 SPC. It definitely is not. The round is actually .277 Sig Fury (6.8 x 51mm). Which is essentially the same size as 7.62x51mm but necked down to 6.8mm.

So the weapon and magazine weight/size will be closer to SCAR-H or AR10 platform (although likely a little lighter). That means way more weight to carry the same amount of rounds for soldiers as their current loadout. Magazines will likely be 20 or 25 round capacity similar to Other .308 battle rifles. From what I have seen the plain Jane rifle XM5 will be over 8 lbs with no accessories added. So it is gonna be a big weight increase for soldiers to carry compared to M4.

Also I am including an article below about the actual chambering compared to .308 and 6.5 creedmoor. It will be loaded to 80,000 PSI, compared to only 60,000 psi for the .308. This increased pressure is needed to achieve the target muzzle velocities. This increased pressure is likely why the hybrid brass/steel case is needed.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/277-sig-fury-demystified/

But this massive increase in pressure and velocity will likely cause major barrel wear. The pressure is much higher than some of the other chamberings in similar size bullets, and some of those chamberings of the 6.5 competition variety like 6.5 creed etc. are already known to be barrel burners.

The other thing the increased pressure will result in is increased recoil. I wouldn’t be surprised if this round/rifle combo will have more recoil than .308.

Basically the army went from small caliber carbine to completely swing to a battle rifle on steroids as their primary weapon. With the increased weight of weapon/ammo and the massive increase in recoil from current M4; I just don’t see it being very effective practical weapon to issue to all members of the army. I think it would be good for certain scenarios/situations but not as a do all system.

GlockNewb

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2022, 12:19:50 PM »

With the increased weight of weapon/ammo and the massive increase in recoil from current M4; I just don’t see it being very effective practical weapon to issue to all members of the army. I think it would be good for certain scenarios/situations but not as a do all system.

Matt agrees, with video reference receipts (especially the Lucky Gunner excerpt on 2200 FPS)

changemyoil66

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2022, 12:24:07 PM »

Matt agrees, with video reference receipts (especially the Lucky Gunner excerpt on 2200 FPS)

I wonder if he isn't allowed to use his pointing knife due to the indictment?

DocMercy

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2022, 10:19:21 AM »
The producer of this video claims he has tested the XM-5.

Bottom line revolves around the question of whether a prospective home invader or enemy soldier in your state is wearing body armor that would negate your current weapons, a handgun, AR-15, or shotgun. Say you have the money to buy a civilian version of the XM-5, but the manufacturer only sells it with a suppressor and makes the warranty contingent on equipping it with that factory item. According to HRS §134-8  Ownership, etc., of automatic firearms, silencers, etc., prohibited; penalties., we may get slapped with a Class C felony for possessing (in HI) suppressors cited in the statute. The laws have us boxed in, and even if we own a house in a red state which permits ownership of said weapon, a live-in mistress or butler may need to be present full time in the second residence. Try convincing Mrs. CMO of that need. Anyway, we should try to find a range where they will rent out the weapon for several hours, so we can evaluate its effectiveness.

drck1000

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2022, 10:28:59 AM »
Meh, if one is worried about all that, there are plenty of existing capable firearms.  Maybe not exactly like what the Army will have, but the capability is certainly available.  Over-think-ing. . .

mill8316

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2022, 11:30:51 AM »
Meh, if one is worried about all that, there are plenty of existing capable firearms.  Maybe not exactly like what the Army will have, but the capability is certainly available.  Over-think-ing. . .

You are correct. There are other calibers/rounds that are definitely capable and available to civilians. I think it will be a long time until ammunition/weapon systems are available to civilian side in this caliber. If this is gonna be the future army standard issue weapon, then I am guessing the ammunition contracts are gonna be in the millions for just the initial delivery contract for ammo. There won’t be much available on the civilian side for a while. And I don’t think it will catch on mainstream on the civilian side until there is at least a few years of successful full scale implementation on the military side.

changemyoil66

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2022, 11:33:03 AM »
The producer of this video claims he has tested the XM-5.

Bottom line revolves around the question of whether a prospective home invader or enemy soldier in your state is wearing body armor that would negate your current weapons, a handgun, AR-15, or shotgun. Say you have the money to buy a civilian version of the XM-5, but the manufacturer only sells it with a suppressor and makes the warranty contingent on equipping it with that factory item. According to HRS §134-8  Ownership, etc., of automatic firearms, silencers, etc., prohibited; penalties., we may get slapped with a Class C felony for possessing (in HI) suppressors cited in the statute. The laws have us boxed in, and even if we own a house in a red state which permits ownership of said weapon, a live-in mistress or butler may need to be present full time in the second residence. Try convincing Mrs. CMO of that need. Anyway, we should try to find a range where they will rent out the weapon for several hours, so we can evaluate its effectiveness.

6.8 Fury will not penetrate modern body armor. There are already vids out there with Lvl3's stopping it.  I was concerned about this because I just spent $ on new plates that are good for 15 years. And would hate to have to replace them after a few years (time it takes b4 civillians get their hands on the Spear) only to go back to LVL4's.

Even if the rifle is supposed to come with a suppressor, no gun store here would sell it to you with one.  SIG isn't stupid and knows if they include a suppressor with the rifle in the civilian market, then people who can buy them need to wait a while and pay the $200 tax stamp before even getting the gun. This would delay sales.  The website might state included, but I haven't seen 1 Spear owned by a civilian yet. All the YT influences have them on loan from SIG.