Sig Sauer get Army next gen Squad weapon (Read 2571 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Sig Sauer get Army next gen Squad weapon
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2022, 11:39:33 AM »
You are correct. There are other calibers/rounds that are definitely capable and available to civilians. I think it will be a long time until ammunition/weapon systems are available to civilian side in this caliber. If this is gonna be the future army standard issue weapon, then I am guessing the ammunition contracts are gonna be in the millions for just the initial delivery contract for ammo. There won’t be much available on the civilian side for a while. And I don’t think it will catch on mainstream on the civilian side until there is at least a few years of successful full scale implementation on the military side.

Add in that if the price remains as is, not many will be willing to spend $8K on this rifle and cost of ammo. 

I predict like the SCAR, this rifle will be a flop. I expect it to be on the surplus market after a few years for much cheaper. Except the SCAR didn't get as huge of a contract as SIG. Which is why they're not on the surplus market.

The last gun that was, was the Colt M45A1.  Which was offered to Gun Broker top members for like $1K a few years ago.  The Marines MEU/Recon are switching to the M17/18 (SIG P320). Not all have converted yet, there are still units using the M45A1.  Most recent pics with a date on them are the A-stan withdrawal jack up. The fallen Marines castkets in the plane are being stood next to MEU members with M45's.

drck1000

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2022, 11:41:54 AM »
6.8 Fury will not penetrate modern body armor. There are already vids out there with Lvl3's stopping it.  I was concerned about this because I just spent $ on new plates that are good for 15 years. And would hate to have to replace them after a few years (time it takes b4 civillians get their hands on the Spear) only to go back to LVL4's.

Even if the rifle is supposed to come with a suppressor, no gun store here would sell it to you with one.  SIG isn't stupid and knows if they include a suppressor with the rifle in the civilian market, then people who can buy them need to wait a while and pay the $200 tax stamp before even getting the gun. This would delay sales.  The website might state included, but I haven't seen 1 Spear owned by a civilian yet. All the YT influences have them on loan from SIG.
"What if he shot you in the face"?

When my new set of plates arrive, I'll try to setup a way to shoot one of my current sets. . .  O0

changemyoil66

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2022, 11:48:11 AM »
"What if he shot you in the face"?

When my new set of plates arrive, I'll try to setup a way to shoot one of my current sets. . .  O0

We did land on the moon.

What you got coming in?  My concern with the 15 year expiration on the Shotstop Duritium was if they crack before then. They have a vid since it's nor ceramic, but polyurethane of it getting smashed with a hammer multiple times, then shot. It held up.

drck1000

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2022, 11:54:58 AM »
We did land on the moon.

What you got coming in?  My concern with the 15 year expiration on the Shotstop Duritium was if they crack before then. They have a vid since it's nor ceramic, but polyurethane of it getting smashed with a hammer multiple times, then shot. It held up.
We did?   ???

A while back, I got steel plates because I was going to travel with them (for classes that required).  Figured they'd get thrown around.  But that was many years ago now, and plate technology has changed so much.  Looking back, I probably would have went with the lighter weight composite or ceramics.  I ended up with them both.  I guess ok to have both.  Looking back, the cost of them over say 5-10 years isn't that much considering other firearms related spending. 

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2022, 01:19:02 PM »
This isn't making sense to me. So many issues with the gun and the ammo, it just doesn't seem like a good decision

WTF?Shane

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2022, 01:31:50 PM »
This isn't making sense to me. So many issues with the gun and the ammo, it just doesn't seem like a good decision

It's the Military. It doesn't have to make sense.

changemyoil66

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2022, 01:53:13 PM »
It's the Military. It doesn't have to make sense.

^^^This.

aletheuo137

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2022, 02:15:28 PM »
It's the Government. It doesn't have to make sense.

FIFY

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

aaronc5362

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2022, 02:33:47 PM »
Sig won the pistol contracts. Now the rifle and LMG.

Seems fishy?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2022, 04:19:58 PM »
Sig won the pistol contracts. Now the rifle and LMG.

Seems fishy?

You mean the government is actually choosing the best design and function over political and financial concerns?

Yeah, that's weird. 
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

aaronc5362

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2022, 05:41:24 AM »
You mean the government is actually choosing the best design and function over political and financial concerns?

Yeah, that's weird.

Lol idk if its the best design. The ammo being used does sound great. I wont be getting it tho. I still think 6mm arc or 6.8 spc may have been a better choice.. Woth that said, I had a 6.8 spc with carbine gas system by rra back in 2009-2010 or so. And I could handle the recoil pretty good. And I'm a weak person. Ive never shot a 6mm arc tho. So I cant comment on that. But did research as I wanted to get one 1 day in the future. Would a 6.8x51 be good for room clearing (in a military role) ?

There just seems like the cons outweigh the pros vs what they are using now. I was only talking bout it being as an infantry weapon.

drck1000

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2022, 01:37:02 PM »
Not the definitive marker, but GarandThumb seemed to have pretty good review of the rifle, as well as good comments on context of the rifle. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2022, 09:08:59 AM »
Still no one shooting it without the suppressor. Might as well red loctite that thing on so no PFC can lose it.

I know a guy who trains the Army to use the M17 (P320) and you would be amazed at the things PFC's can do to cause malfunctions.

Garand was 1 of the first to show that beast of a 25rd mag.  I wonder what a 30 rd mag would look like.

drck1000

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2022, 12:34:48 PM »
Still no one shooting it without the suppressor. Might as well red loctite that thing on so no PFC can lose it.

I know a guy who trains the Army to use the M17 (P320) and you would be amazed at the things PFC's can do to cause malfunctions.

Garand was 1 of the first to show that beast of a 25rd mag.  I wonder what a 30 rd mag would look like.
So when are you starting your "First Sig MPX" thread? 

And yes, idle hands of an E1 is a VERY dangerous thing. . . They find ways to break things were supposed to be bomb-proof.  Ask any E5-E9. . .  ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2022, 12:49:37 PM »
So when are you starting your "First Sig MPX" thread? 

When it cost $1K for the rifle.

macsak

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2022, 02:50:09 PM »