How is Everyone Saving Money? (Read 9466 times)

dogman

Re: How is Everyone Saving Money?
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2022, 08:05:55 PM »
Do you find that since you reload and it's cheaper than buying factor ammo, you shoot more?
I don't shoot more because I reload but I would shoot less if I had to buy factory ammo. ???

GlockNewb

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2022, 09:23:53 PM »
I had some success with the mosquito dunk in addition to the neem oil and soap solution. It is a never ending battle against the insects and
birds when you try to grow your own food. I am winning the war against the white flies, flea beetles, and mango flower beetles. The fungal gnats are a real pest. I try to avoid chemical pesticides for obvious reasons. Keep trying to grow your own food if you can. It can be challenging but it is worth the effort.

“Never ending battle,” that’s where I had to stop my gardening project. I’ve been doing 10-15 o/t hours weekly at my job since I started…pandemic just pushed that to 20-30 o/t hours weekly and for the foreseeable future. Doesn’t leave enough time to regularly tend to plants.
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

oldfart

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2022, 09:30:20 PM »
Do you find that since you reload and it's cheaper than buying factor ammo, you shoot more?
Sure you shoot more.
That's how you get more proficient.
Isn't that the whole idea?
What, Me Worry?

RSN172

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2022, 09:32:45 PM »
I save extra ketchup packets and napkins from fast food places. I go around Costco several times for free samples during lunch and dinner
Just hit the funerals and make yourself a plate. Nobody knows if you were a friend of the deceased or not. 

astroboy

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2022, 08:56:39 AM »
more ways to deal with fungus gnats

stangzilla

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2022, 12:07:19 PM »
lately I've been cashing in my credit card rewards points for safeway gift cards emailed to me.  gets to my email instantly
I haven't cashed in on my rewards points for years so I have a good amount that I can cash in on.  I figure now is a good time to cash in

stangzilla

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2022, 12:17:08 PM »
a few years ago I thought to myself, I am going to save money by buying a 22LR pistol and shoot more 22LR instead of a lot of centerfire ammo
so I buy a $700 22LR pistol, add a $300 red dot optic.  now it's a $1k gun
maybe in 5-10 years it will pay for itself
that was just an excuse that I talked myself into getting another 22 firearm  :thumbsup:

Direjackalope

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2022, 12:21:39 PM »
Stop using tobacco. If you can’t stop tobacco then swallow your chew spit to get the same buzz on less product.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2022, 06:25:56 AM »
This may sound gross to some of you but it works for me because I'm retired and it's only me and my wife in the house and she still works.

Anyway, I pee in the toilet all day without flushing.  Then just before my wife comes home from work I flush the toilet.

Saves on water bills (but more importantly, saves on a precious resource).

My wife plans to retire towards the ending of this year.  I'm not so sure she's keen to this idea.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

groveler

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2022, 06:47:48 AM »
This may sound gross to some of you but it works for me because I'm retired and it's only me and my wife in the house and she still works.

Anyway, I pee in the toilet all day without flushing.  Then just before my wife comes home from work I flush the toilet.

My wife plans to retire towards the ending of this year.  I'm not so sure she's keen to this idea.
What you do is the norm in my house, I live on Catchment.
I also pee outside, like the rest of my animals.

Biggest thing is to become debt free.  Save all that money you waste in interest.
I retired at age 55.  It works, even in Hawaii.
Never buy new cars.
Fix all your own stuff.
The dump can be a gold mine.
Use it up, wear it out, and then make do.
 :thumbsup:

astroboy

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2022, 07:50:34 AM »
What you do is the norm in my house, I live on Catchment.
I also pee outside, like the rest of my animals.

Biggest thing is to become debt free.  Save all that money you waste in interest.
I retired at age 55.  It works, even in Hawaii.
Never buy new cars.
Fix all your own stuff.
The dump can be a gold mine.
Use it up, wear it out, and then make do.
 :thumbsup:

Absolutely pay off your debts asap. As interest rates rise this becomes even more critical.
Inflation will punish those with debts and especially those with adjustable rate loans.
I built a reloading table mostly from scrap pieces of lumber. I did have to buy a 2'x4'x3/4" sheet
of ply wood. I did not want to buy a whole 4'x8' sheet. lumber prices are high and it will go higher.

drck1000

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2022, 08:27:18 AM »
Stop using tobacco. If you can’t stop tobacco then swallow your chew spit to get the same buzz on less product.
I quit cigars a while ago.  Now if I could give up alcohol, would save a lot of money, and lose some weight. . .  :(  ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2022, 08:41:56 AM »
Have you run a test on how much $ per month not flushing saves? I did with my Xbox plugged in. It's a $20 a month difference.

drck1000

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2022, 09:07:00 AM »
Have you run a test on how much $ per month not flushing saves? I did with my Xbox plugged in. It's a $20 a month difference.
If it's yellow, keep it mellow.  If it's brown, flush it down.

I don't do that, but I know quite a few who do. 

RSN172

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2022, 09:15:17 AM »

I use a bottle at night so I don't have to get out of bed.  I use a Pinalen bottle.  I used to use a 32 oz Gatorade bottle but the opening was a tight fit.  ;)  we have catchment and lots of rain so I don't worry about water.  Most of the time when it rains the overflow pipe on my 10k gal tank is shooting out water.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2022, 11:53:00 AM »
When I was young, we always had a brick or two inside the toilet tank.  The water it displaced for a household of 6 really added up.  If you want, figure out the volume of a standard brick, then multiply that by the number of flushes in a month. That's how much water you didn't use.

Now they make these dual flush toilets.  I installed them in my house here.  I find it's too easy to  get into the habit of pushing the "#2" button for every flush just for that extra level of confidence.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2022, 11:56:43 AM »

Now they make these dual flush toilets.  I installed them in my house here.  I find it's too easy to  get into the habit of pushing the "#2" button for every flush just for that extra level of confidence.

In my first trip to Taiwan around 2017 or so, almost all the toilets had this option.  Residence, Starbucks, 7-11, train station, etc...What's even grosser is the floor toilets, you have to toss the used TP in the trashcan next to the hole.  Thank god I always was able to find a Western style toilet.  But many Western toilets still had a covered mini trash can inside the stall, I guess because people were not used to flushing TP.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2022, 12:16:03 PM »
In my first trip to Taiwan around 2017 or so, almost all the toilets had this option.  Residence, Starbucks, 7-11, train station, etc...What's even grosser is the floor toilets, you have to toss the used TP in the trashcan next to the hole.  Thank god I always was able to find a Western style toilet.  But many Western toilets still had a covered mini trash can inside the stall, I guess because people were not used to flushing TP.

Actually, many countries don't include the ability to handle TP in their sewage treatment plants.  Paper becomes a major problem for the treatment and recycling of waste water.

https://brilliantmaps.com/flush-toilet-paper/
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2022, 12:23:46 PM »
Actually, many countries don't include the ability to handle TP in their sewage treatment plants.  Paper becomes a major problem for the treatment and recycling of waste water.

https://brilliantmaps.com/flush-toilet-paper/

You sir amaze me with your google-fu and the fact that someone made a webpage about it.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2022, 12:53:53 PM »
You sir amaze me with your google-fu and the fact that someone made a webpage about it.

"The mind is a terrible thing ..."

:thumbsup: :geekdanc:
-- Melvin Udall