How do you apply for a concealed weapons permit in Hawaii? (Read 10123 times)

RSN172

Re: How do you apply for a concealed weapons permit in Hawaii?
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2022, 07:49:46 PM »
You do have to provide one.
Self protection would be my reason.

nickelzismoney

« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2022, 07:51:03 PM »
Self protection would be my reason.

I said I want to practice my second amendment right and protect myself, my family, and my property due to the continuous rose in crime
“No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall… you are never out of the fight.” - Marcus Luttrel

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." - Albert Einstein

mill8316

« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2022, 09:52:07 PM »
I said I want to practice my second amendment right and protect myself, my family, and my property due to the continuous rose in crime

I am going this week. All I said was for “self defense and other lawful defensive purposes”

AmbuBadger

« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2022, 11:06:46 PM »
I went today, had to renew my long gun permit too. I printed everything out from online and brought it in, here's what I brought for the CCW:

1) 2 x passport photos, $15 from Wong's in Chinatown on Hotel (across old Love's Thrift Shop/new Daiso). He prefers cash.
2) Permit to acquire & questionnaire, filled out everything but did not sign.
3) Medical information waiver, again, filled out but not signed.
4) Protected Health Info disclosure, also unsigned. You cannot fill this out on your computer, gotta print it out first.
5) Photocopy of my handgun license for the particular piece I wanted to carry.
6) My actual handgun safety class affidavit; they made a copy, so I think they'll accept that, but bring the original to verify.
7) My letter stating my reason for wanting CCW rights. I mentioned my training, occupation, abstaining from drugs/alcohol, and having no health conditions that would prohibit me from carrying and operating a firearm safely.

I got there at 1510 with five guys in front of me, nobody came after me, and I was done by 1555. I kept the passport photos in the little Ziploc from Wong's, the officer processing my paperwork seemed happy with that. The only ID I needed was my HSDL.It didn't seem like a big deal to this officer whether I had signed in advance or not, but I made sure not to. Whoever you get may or may not care, you know how they are. As for the CCW application, it's similar to the Permit to Acquire, you'll be filling out the same stuff like your info, workplace, how fat you are, how short you are, etc. Ethnicity is a short line, so don't bother putting everything your 23 & Me said you are. I know some of you said the website didn't require all that, but things went smoothly with the route I took. Hope this helps.

Edited to add: I opted to pick up my papers versus email, they said they're backlogged and pickup in person would be ready on time but not to expect to see the email on the first available day.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 11:13:54 PM by AmbuBadger »

nickelzismoney

« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2022, 11:12:59 PM »
I went today, had to renew my long gun permit too. I printed everything out from online and brought it in, here's what I brought for the CCW:

1) 2 x passport photos, $15 from Wong's in Chinatown on Hotel (across old Love's Thrift Shop/new Daiso). He prefers cash.
2) Permit to acquire & questionnaire, filled out everything but did not sign.
3) Medical information waiver, again, filled out but not signed.
4) Protected Health Info disclosure, also unsigned. You cannot fill this out on your computer, gotta print it out first.
5) Photocopy of my handgun license for the particular piece I wanted to carry.
6) My actual handgun safety class affidavit; they made a copy, so I think they'll accept that, but bring the original to verify.
7) My letter stating my reason for wanting CCW rights. I mentioned my training, occupation, abstaining from drugs/alcohol, and having no health conditions that would prohibit me from carrying and operating a firearm safely.

I got there at 1510 with five guys in front of me, nobody came after me, and I was done by 1555. I kept the passport photos in the little Ziploc from Wong's, the officer processing my paperwork seemed happy with that. The only ID I needed was my HSDL.It didn't seem like a big deal to this officer whether I had signed in advance or not, but I made sure not to. Whoever you get may or may not care, you know how they are. As for the CCW application, it's similar to the Permit to Acquire, you'll be filling out the same stuff like your info, workplace, how fat you are, how short you are, etc. Ethnicity is a short line, so don't bother putting everything your 23 & Me said you are. I know some of you said the website didn't require all that, but things went smoothly with the route I took. Hope this helps.

Always better to be safe than sorry, especially if ever on a time crunch or trying to get a feeling for the front desk officer because we all know their attitude can help/ hurt ease and flow of the process 
“No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how hard you fall… you are never out of the fight.” - Marcus Luttrel

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything." - Albert Einstein

AmbuBadger

« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2022, 11:18:20 PM »
Always better to be safe than sorry, especially if ever on a time crunch or trying to get a feeling for the front desk officer because we all know their attitude can help/ hurt ease and flow of the process

Yeah, I was especially worried since I was going in close to closing. They were surprisingly chill. I don't like the idea of being a kiss-ass to receive rights that were wrongfully denied in the first place, but I can at least be cordial.

nickelzismoney

« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2022, 11:20:35 PM »
Yeah, I was especially worried since I was going in close to closing. They were surprisingly chill. I don't like the idea of being a kiss-ass to receive rights that were wrongfully denied in the first place, but I can at least be cordial.

The more people that use respect and tact when making contact with the police, the better and more likely they are to be reasonable with us upon contact. But at the same time, we all need to know when to use tact and when to bear our teeth because we can’t allow ourselves to be so nice as to allow HPD to think they can continue rolling over us and our rights

stangzilla

« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2022, 11:38:43 PM »
It would be appreciated if the cops were also polite and respectful
Most are, but not all
One cop......asshole!

zippz

« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2022, 12:02:43 AM »

Took me a  while to figure out what to write on mine.

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

AmbuBadger

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2022, 07:01:14 AM »
Took me a  while to figure out what to write on mine.

I get that, but two things here: first, it's still a process. Sadly, we're already asking the state to do us a favor by letting us practice a God-given right, no need to make it easier for them to shoot it down. Second, the more varied requests we give, the better for us if/when they shoot it down because it'll cover a wider range of reasons for them to justify denying.

changemyoil66

« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2022, 09:06:42 AM »
I get that, but two things here: first, it's still a process. Sadly, we're already asking the state to do us a favor by letting us practice a God-given right, no need to make it easier for them to shoot it down. Second, the more varied requests we give, the better for us if/when they shoot it down because it'll cover a wider range of reasons for them to justify denying.

With the AG's letter to HPD, I don't see HPD denying people because of the reason.  They will look for something else.

changemyoil66

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2022, 09:07:56 AM »
It would be appreciated if the cops were also polite and respectful
Most are, but not all
One cop......asshole!

Most there are respectful and know their job .Like any job, there are bad apples.  The only issue that I have with all of them is that none have the balls to stand up and tell their bosses that what they are doing is wrong. They're just following orders.

drck1000

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2022, 09:15:54 AM »
Most there are respectful and know their job .Like any job, there are bad apples.  The only issue that I have with all of them is that none have the balls to stand up and tell their bosses that what they are doing is wrong. They're just following orders.
Similar for me.  I haven't come across any bad apples.  I've had at least a couple of times where they helped "work the issue" where they didn't really have to.  One was where the registration for one of my dad's firearms was "lost", so was leading to trouble with transfer of ownership after he passed. 

I recall at one time, the LT for the department had his "own way".