CA 9th Circuit 3 judge rules 21 years old unconstitutional (Read 493 times)

changemyoil66

Bota-CS1

Re: CA 9th Circuit 3 judge rules 21 years old unconstitutional
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 12:47:23 PM »
FPC FTW!!!
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 12:52:55 PM »
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/05/11/breaking-news/californias-under-21-gun-sales-ban-ruled-unconstitutional/?fbclid=IwAR0LUa-_TO-2Ggkb5M8has00N8zZYHexD5D38IhyZ5WYcPkM1bE3LFxsrnw

It's about time.  This whole "make certain things illegal until you're 21" crap has been eating at me my whole life.  The age is arbitrary and solves no real problems. 

If 18 is the legal age of majority -- can enter into contracts, can join the military, and can vote -- then any higher age limits are unfair and capricious.

Seems like everything the ATF regulates is restricted to people 21 and up:  Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.  Hmmm.....
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

nathanm14fan

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 01:31:20 PM »
Don't get your hopes up - the 9CA almost certainly will go en banc and reverse this case. As they do with all pro-2A cases. Every. Single. Time.

Brystont1

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 01:32:22 PM »
Damn. I think this will be a very good year for gun rights. I suspect a favorable ruling in the NYRPA v Bruin, especially since Thomas (hopefully) will be writing the majority opinion and when then hopefully the mag ban gets heard and overturned as well. Lefty states can suck it.

groveler

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 11:29:12 AM »
I earned my California hunting license at age 12.
I could legally hunt down and kill animals at age 12,
with the appropriate gun.  Openly carried, in public.
At age 17 the Military handed me an automatic rifle.
What is all this age 21 crap?
 :grrr:

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 12:53:07 PM »
Don't get your hopes up - the 9CA almost certainly will go en banc and reverse this case. As they do with all pro-2A cases. Every. Single. Time.

Pretty much, pro 2a rulings are like 0/50 in 9th en banc

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 01:10:17 PM »
Pretty much, pro 2a rulings are like 0/50 in 9th en banc

Right, but then they set the plaintiff up for a chance to have it decided by SCOTUS.

Previously, the 9th was comfortable that firearm cases would not be raised to that level by plaintiffs, because the make-up of the court was too Liberal to rely on a fair ruling,  Once they are ruled against, it can take decades to be corrected -- refer to Roe v Wade as an example.

The court's political leaning has changed, so I think the lower courts would now try to keep the case in their own jurisdiction rather than risk a decision that has nationwide application.  I predict different tactics at the 9th, now that the SCOTUS is not automatically ruling with the Left's positions in opposition to the Constitution or existing law.
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.