Hunter safety education course (Read 1863 times)

MrJones

Hunter safety education course
« on: May 14, 2022, 01:12:50 PM »
Does the online hunter safety education course satisfy the requirement to obtain a handgun?

Dr.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Hunter safety education course
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 01:32:43 PM »
Does the online hunter safety education course satisfy the requirement to obtain a handgun?

Dr.

Yes.  It's a cheap/free training option vs. the NRA safety course.

I recommend getting the NRA course -- if not instead of Hunter's Ed, at least shortly afterward.  The Hunter's Ed course doesn't include any hands-on live-fire training.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 06:18:34 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

MrJones

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 02:59:53 PM »
Thanks. Two nice police officers told my friend it wasn’t acceptable.🤪

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 03:11:49 PM »
It's good to have the local gun laws for your state bookmarked for occasional reference.  If I were your friend in that situation, I would have pulled out my phone and educated them.  Maybe that would save the next person who asked them from getting a wrong answer.

§134-2  Permits to acquire.
(g)  Effective July 1, 1995, no person shall be issued a permit under this section for the acquisition of a
pistol or revolver unless the person, at any time prior to the issuance of the permit, has completed:

(1)  An approved hunter education course as authorized under section 183D-28;
https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-0002.htm

§183D-28  Hunter education program.
https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0183D/HRS_0183D-0028.htm

-- Melvin Udall

rpoL98

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 04:50:51 PM »
is this one of the hallmarks of a banana republic?  those in power just make up shit as they go along, to suit themselves?

it's a rhetorical question.

ren

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 05:16:27 PM »
load your certificate on a laptop and show them...
Deeds Not Words

Pancakes

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 06:58:51 AM »
I did mine online. You get the same hunter safety card as any other course, and that’s all that’s required. I don’t see how anyone would even know if you did it online or in person.

groveler

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 10:29:41 AM »
Yes.  It's a cheap/free training option vs. the NRA safety course.

I recommend getting the NRA course -- if not instead of Hunter's Ed, at least shortly afterward.  The Hunter's Ed course doesn't include any hands-on live-fire training.
"I recommend getting the NRA course -- if not instead of Hunter's Ed, at least shortly afterward.  The Hunter's Ed course doesn't include any hands-on live-fire training."

I have always thought that was a big mistake here.  Because I has lost papers in moving here, I had to take the Hawaii hunter safety course.
I've been licensed to hunt since 12 yrs of age, so I was a little PO'ed, but rules are rules. 
I thought that the lack of a demonstration in the actual safe use and firing of a firearm was unusual for a Safety course.
But this is Hawaii,  Logic doesn't apply here, just feelings.
 :shaka:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2022, 11:24:42 AM »
"I recommend getting the NRA course -- if not instead of Hunter's Ed, at least shortly afterward.  The Hunter's Ed course doesn't include any hands-on live-fire training."

I have always thought that was a big mistake here.  Because I has lost papers in moving here, I had to take the Hawaii hunter safety course.
I've been licensed to hunt since 12 yrs of age, so I was a little PO'ed, but rules are rules. 
I thought that the lack of a demonstration in the actual safe use and firing of a firearm was unusual for a Safety course.
But this is Hawaii,  Logic doesn't apply here, just feelings.
 :shaka:

Before the pandemic, in-person courses were always 100% reserved for months in advance.  It became common knowledge that many sign-ups will be no-shows -- the theory being anti-gun and anti-hunting zealots trying to interfere with people getting training in order to hunt and buy guns.

Due to the wait time for an open spot, most handgun buyers opted for the NRA course, which although $150-$200+, they could get trained in about a month give or take.

Now that the Hunter's Ed course is available completely online (before only the study portion was available online -- still had to show up to take the test IIRC), I'd be curious how many handgun buyers are opting for Hunter's Ed certificate.

Anyway, the whole permit process is FUBAR. 
-- Melvin Udall

DocMercy

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 11:42:11 AM »

Absolutely agree with this recommendation, and would even go as far as recommending both courses for those who have never handled a firearm, or have not shot a weapon in decades. In their handgun safety course, Hawaii Defense Fund (HDF) exposes the student to semi-automatic handguns, as well as revolvers, in different calibers, and teaches the student safe handling procedures such as unloading, verifying that a weapon is unloaded, and the process of loading a magazine.  Passing the HDF handgun safety course, can be followed with more advanced courses. It would be great if they could offer a CCW course in HI, when such laws are passed in the state.
A completed Hunter's Ed certificate is necessary for obtain a hunting license. This offers holders the option of entering hunting ranges with their shotguns, during approved times of the year. This is a different type of experience than what you can find at the Koko Head Shooting Complex. At the HDF open shoot, you may not be able to use birdshot, afaik. Slugs are allowed. There is a gun club which has sponsored events (on the weekend) at KHSC for skeet shooting, but I do not belong to that club. If anyone knows how to sign up for that event, please post here.

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 12:06:01 PM »
The hunters ed course was offered to be easy and minimal cost so the state can require it to buy a handgun.  If they didn't have an easy class, then the requirement might not hold up in court.

Also for gun reg, HI was gonna ban all pistols, but instead settled on requiring all guns be registered. Looking back, it seems like banning all pistols would have been the better option, because HI would lose in court.  Instead, many had to put up with decades of making 3 trips to HPD.

This was b4 my time, but I was told this by someone who is very involved with the 2a rights in HI.

stangzilla

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 12:36:51 PM »

they like BS all the time

zippz

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2022, 01:10:26 PM »

Depends on who the officers are.  If they're regular patrol officers, then they don't know the requirements or updates for the firearms section.

Or they could be referring to other online hunters ed programs that Hawaii may not accept.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2022, 01:31:11 PM »
The hunters ed course was offered to be easy and minimal cost so the state can require it to buy a handgun.  If they didn't have an easy class, then the requirement might not hold up in court.

Also for gun reg, HI was gonna ban all pistols, but instead settled on requiring all guns be registered. Looking back, it seems like banning all pistols would have been the better option, because HI would lose in court.  Instead, many had to put up with decades of making 3 trips to HPD.

This was b4 my time, but I was told this by someone who is very involved with the 2a rights in HI.

Easy and affordable are the "pros" for the Hunter's Ed route. I think the state also considered liability when they excluded live fire training.  To offer live fire training with handguns would increase the cost by a significant amount (firearms, storage, ammo, cleaning supplies, etc), plus the state would need to greatly increase its liability coverage to pay for any injuries.  Even if the injury to one student was caused by another student, the state's going to get sued.
-- Melvin Udall

Eric808

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2022, 02:36:18 PM »
I also agree that doing both would be beneficial to the individuals.

After completion, the Hunters Ed mails you a card and other items.  The card is alot easier to take to the LGS and HPD than taking the Handgun Safety Affidavit.  I was lucky to take the course and the Handgun class and just carry my card with my LG permit, just in case.  For $5 you are able to get a copy of your Hunters Ed card, mailed or pdf file emailed.  I opted for the emailed pdf file, signed and scanned a copy that I include with my HPD packet of forms.

groveler

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2022, 11:13:20 AM »

Y'all know if we weren't such a backward place with only
2 million people
"but instead settled on requiring all guns be registered."
No fucking,  anybody needs to register a right specified
in America's  laws, as being a RIGHT!
There is a Hawaii word for idiot, but it escapes me.
 :wtf: