Private sale (Read 431 times)

MrJones

Private sale
« on: May 15, 2022, 06:44:17 AM »
In a private sale does the seller have to notify Hpd with a written document? Long gun.

Dr Jones
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 07:29:27 AM by MrJones »

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Private sale
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 11:37:49 AM »
In a private sale does the seller have to notify Hpd with a written document? Long gun.

Dr Jones

Yep -- within 48 hours of the transfer.

Take the time to read through the entire Firearms statute.  It'll be worth your time.  You may find answers to questions you haven't thought of yet.

CHAPTER 134
FIREARMS, AMMUNITION AND DANGEROUS WEAPONS

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-.htm
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

tako

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 06:29:35 PM »
Apologies on bringing this up again as I am looking to get absolute clarity on the process of selling a long gun privately.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this now (roughly) the process of a private long gun sale:
1. Buyer shows Seller Long Gun Permit and gives money to seller for long gun
2. Seller reviews Long Gun Permit info, and if valid, accepts money from the buyer for the long gun
3. Seller fills out Gun Transfer Notice Form/Letter and delivers to HPD within 48 hours of the sale
4. Buyer is responsible for physically bringing the long gun to HPD for physical inspection and Registration "as soon as possible" according to HPD Firearms website

HPD recently posted an update on the Firearms Registration Website stating:

On June 3, 2022, with the signing of a new gun law HB2075 (Act 030), effective immediately, the HPD Firearms Unit requires physical inspections for the following firearms:

#1 firearms and firearm receivers that are assembled without serial numbers or other identification markings
#2 firearms brought into the State from other jurisdictions
#3 firearms transferred or obtained in private sales

HB2075 (Act 030)
“If the firearm is acquired from a person who is not a dealer licensed under Section 134 – 31 or a dealer licensed by the United States Department of Justice, the firearm SHALL be physically inspected by the chief of police of the appropriate county or designee at the time of registration. “

So do this mean that you are now required to walk-in to do a physical inspection and registration of your privately bought long gun?  ??? ??? ???

aaronc5362

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 09:26:40 PM »
Apologies on bringing this up again as I am looking to get absolute clarity on the process of selling a long gun privately.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this now (roughly) the process of a private long gun sale:
1. Buyer shows Seller Long Gun Permit and gives money to seller for long gun
2. Seller reviews Long Gun Permit info, and if valid, accepts money from the buyer for the long gun
3. Seller fills out Gun Transfer Notice Form/Letter and delivers to HPD within 48 hours of the sale
4. Buyer is responsible for physically bringing the long gun to HPD for physical inspection and Registration "as soon as possible" according to HPD Firearms website

HPD recently posted an update on the Firearms Registration Website stating:

On June 3, 2022, with the signing of a new gun law HB2075 (Act 030), effective immediately, the HPD Firearms Unit requires physical inspections for the following firearms:

#1 firearms and firearm receivers that are assembled without serial numbers or other identification markings
#2 firearms brought into the State from other jurisdictions
#3 firearms transferred or obtained in private sales

HB2075 (Act 030)
“If the firearm is acquired from a person who is not a dealer licensed under Section 134 – 31 or a dealer licensed by the United States Department of Justice, the firearm SHALL be physically inspected by the chief of police of the appropriate county or designee at the time of registration. “

So do this mean that you are now required to walk-in to do a physical inspection and registration of your privately bought long gun?  ??? ??? ???

Yup. There were 3 categories in which you MUST bring in the gun when registering.

1.out of state
2. Ghost guns. 
3. Privately sold firearms.