Buffalo shooting (Read 2475 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Buffalo shooting
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2022, 02:05:28 PM »
Is there such a thing since he was under 18 (minor), that this was not available?  I visit the ecourt kokua website and my speeding ticket I got when I was 17 is not shown when I look up my info.

Your question demonstrates a potential hole in the background check system, assuming minors' records aren't available for FBI/NICS queries.

IIRC, the states are required to give mental health information that's relevant to  the NICS process to the FBI.  When I last saw it being discussed, only a few states have laws mandating these records be updated, and all that were trying to update the records were 6 months to many years behind.  So, even the states who made the effort didn't have the funding, manpower or processes needed to report someone who should not be given access to firearms in a timely manner.  Even when the system is in place, it's already ineffective or just broken.

It would not surprise me at all if the information on the shooter's mental evaluation is supposed to be in the system, but is sitting at the bottom of someone's in-basket due to COVID-related reductions in administrative employees.  Those people were reassigned to process increased unemployment, Food Stamp, housing and medical assistance claims.  Just a theory.

I don't think the public is aware of how overwhelming the sheer volume of information the local, state and federal governments have to manage, update, retrieve and rely on.  I've worked in data warehousing for the military and civilian sectors my whole career.  The only thing worse than no information is too much of it or wrong information.

Then there's the government restrictions that prevent sharing information stored by certain agencies.  Health care data has a LOT of protections, and the sharing of it requires several levels of approval -- including that of the individual who "owns" it.  Case in point, the Social Security offices can't share any info with any other gov't agency.  So, if someone steals your identity, nobody can check with the SS database to even see if the name used matches the social security number provided.  That's why you always need your SS card when doing anything that needs that number, like getting a driver's license or passport and attending college.  For 2 years, my daughter's records at LCC had the wrong SS number because she wrote it down wrong when applying.  They didn't catch it until she applied for a student aid position there, and the number came up as invalid.  Had it matched an actual SS number, I doubt it would have been caught.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2022, 04:35:07 PM »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2022, 11:53:52 AM »
I posted some info from the manifesto and HNN removed my FB comment.