The greatest threat to "democracy" is from our elected representatives. (Read 296 times)

aletheuo137

QUIETShooter

While I do agree wholeheartedly with that premise, I also wonder if the people who elected these asshats can also be the greatest threat to our democracy.

After all, these asshats were elected fairly and squarely in honest and transparent elections.

Or so it has been said. ;) :rofl:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

If you want to know the priorities of voting-age adults, just check out the lines for Black Friday and the violence that ensues when the doors open.

These are the people we trust to choose the right politician for elected office.
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

groveler

If you want to know the priorities of voting-age adults, just check out the lines for Black Friday and the violence that ensues when the doors open.

These are the people we trust to choose the right politician for elected office.
Originally I thought only property owners over the age of 25 could vote for Federal government
officials.
I like that rule.
 :thumbsup:

Flapp_Jackson

Originally I thought only property owners over the age of 25 could vote for Federal government
officials.
I like that rule.
 :thumbsup:

Yep.  The original understanding was that only those who "have skin in the game", i.e. the tax payers, should have a say in their government representation.  Income and sales taxes are much more recent forms of government theft.  Back then, only land owners and businesses paid taxes -- basically the one's who could afford to pay.

Once everyone had a vote, the Dems figured out they could use taxes to bribe the voters.  Promising "a chicken in every pot" was effective campaigning.  Now it's stimulus checks and reparations.

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers
that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.“

-- Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

robtmc

Things started sliding downhill back  in the early 1900's and only accelerated since then.

Flapp_Jackson

Things started sliding downhill back  in the early 1900's and only accelerated since then.

Even in the 60s, a family of 4 with just one wage earner could support the family, buy a home, and save for the future.

Now, it's almost impossible for a double-income couple with no kids to live a comfortable life while saving anything at all.

eyeeatingfish

While I do agree wholeheartedly with that premise, I also wonder if the people who elected these asshats can also be the greatest threat to our democracy.

After all, these asshats were elected fairly and squarely in honest and transparent elections.

Or so it has been said. ;) :rofl:

We (humans) are our own worse enemy. We want out democracy protected but in reality we care more about loyalty and ideologies through our emotional brain than we do about facts. We got liberals election asshats and conservatives electing asshats.