NY Governor Says She Doesn't Need "Numbers" or "Data Points" For Gun Laws (Read 1005 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Reporter's Question:
“Do you have numbers to show that it’s the concealed carry permit holders that are committing crimes?

“Because the lawful gun owner will say that you’re attacking the wrong person, it’s really people that are
getting these guns illegally that are causing the violence - not the people going and getting the permit
legally. And, that’s the basis for the whole Supreme Court argument.

“Do you have the numbers?”
NY Governor Hochul's Response:
“I don’t need to have numbers. I don’t have to have a data point to point to say this. All I know is I have
a responsibility to people of this state to have sensible gun safety laws. And, this is one is not devised
by the Hochul Administration. It comes out an administration from 1908.

I don’t need a data point to make the case that I have a responsibility to protect the people of this state.”
https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/ny-gov-hochul-i-dont-need-have-numbers-i-dont-have-have-data-point-justify-my

Damn the facts!
Full speed ahead!!

Yes, she tried to rationalize gun laws in 2022 because some laws were passed in 1908.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

BTW, these are the people some on this forum believe can be convinced using logic and statistical facts.

It doesn't work on arrogant people who "just know things".
-- Melvin Udall

MassConfusion

BTW, these are the people some on this forum believe can be convinced using logic and statistical facts.

It doesn't work on arrogant people who "just know things".
So emotions vs facts... good way to run a business.  "I dont like the way you look, no soup for you."

Damn the facts!
Full speed ahead!!

Yes, she tried to rationalize gun laws in 2022 because some laws were passed in 1908.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Something along the lines of, 'Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead'?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
 “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” ― Mark Twain

MassConfusion

You might want to take a look at this. 

New York eyes social media ‘character and conduct’ checks for gun permits
ALBANY, N.Y. — New York would require people applying for a handgun license to turn over a list of their social media accounts so officials could verify their “character and conduct” under a bill being considered Friday by the state Legislature.
The provision was part of a proposed redesign of the state’s firearms licensing laws hammered out by lawmakers after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down rules severely limiting who could get a permit to carry a handgun outside their home.
A bill advanced by Democratic leaders would eliminate the most strict barriers to getting a permit but also impose new requirements for applicants.
Among the requirements: Applicants would have to show they have “the essential character, temperament and judgement necessary to be entrusted with a weapon and to use it only in a manner that does not endanger oneself and others,” according to the bill.
cont.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/jul/1/new-york-eyes-social-media-character-and-conduct-c/
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
 “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” ― Mark Twain

Lihikai

hochul reminds me of Mr. Ed

eyeeatingfish

ALBANY, N.Y. — New York would require people applying for a handgun license to turn over a list of their social media accounts so officials could verify their “character and conduct” under a bill being considered Friday by the state Legislature.
The provision was part of a proposed redesign of the state’s firearms licensing laws hammered out by lawmakers after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down rules severely limiting who could get a permit to carry a handgun outside their home.
A bill advanced by Democratic leaders would eliminate the most strict barriers to getting a permit but also impose new requirements for applicants.
Among the requirements: Applicants would have to show they have “the essential character, temperament and judgement necessary to be entrusted with a weapon and to use it only in a manner that does not endanger oneself and others,” according to the bill.
cont.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/jul/1/new-york-eyes-social-media-character-and-conduct-c/

Thats very troublesome. The government will look at your social media to determine your rights...

Flapp_Jackson

The problem with ANY such evaluation is it's subjective.  It's also an invasion of privacy by the government.  If you have your accounts locked down for only others you've allowed, that's your right.

Social media is not an official record of anything.  Using it to restrict rights?  Nope.

If this passes, we need to start pushing through similar legislation for voting.  Most DTS sufferers would fail that examination!   :geekdanc: :thumbsup:
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

Wait till fb /ig get request from NY for deleted profiles and all post history. Im sure they will not tell them to piss off as a warrant is needed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

Wait till fb /ig get request from NY for deleted profiles and all post history. Im sure they will not tell them to piss off as a warrant is needed.

#1 reason I deleted all my social media accounts:  I can't stand the BS being paraded on them as if that's what most people are thinking.  Herd mentality.

#2 reason:  I saw where more and more employers force you to provide them access to your posts before they hire you.  Schools are also using Social Media to reject/expel students and fire teachers. 

#3 reason:  With the increasing number of red flag laws being pushed, Social media will be a prime source of "evidence" against you.

I see zero benefit with individuals remaining on any of the SM sites.  Unless you're a business advertising and/or providing support in SM, just say, "No!"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

-- Melvin Udall