Reciprocity (Read 437 times)

2ahavvaii

Reciprocity
« on: July 01, 2022, 10:33:33 PM »
not to ask a stupid question, but where do we stand with reciprocity and the supreme court ruling?  Obtain CCW in Nevada for example.  carry in hawaii and get arrested because license not valid in hawaii.  Another supreme court case?  or slam dunk with 9th circus?

zippz

Re: Reciprocity
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 12:57:37 AM »
not to ask a stupid question, but where do we stand with reciprocity and the supreme court ruling?  Obtain CCW in Nevada for example.  carry in hawaii and get arrested because license not valid in hawaii.  Another supreme court case?  or slam dunk with 9th circus?

Reciprocity is a state's rights issue, so there is nothing SCOTUS can do for it.  It's not going to be easy and will take a long time, but these are the possibilities:
1.  Congress passes reciprocity - requires 60 votes in the Senate so it has  chance of passing in 2025 if Republicans get a supermajority in the Senate.  However constitution orientalists have a problem with it as it uses the "interstate commerce clause" which is an abuse of Federal power.
2.  SCOTUS rules for constitutional carry which allows for permit-less carry anywhere.  Probably not going to happen for a long time.
3.  Pass reciprocity in the legislature - it'd be difficult especially with Hawaii's current and proposed ccw requirements. 
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

groveler

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 05:35:51 AM »
I paid for my marriage license in Nevada, Hawaii and all states recognizes it as valid.
I passed and was awarded my motorcycle license in WA state- Hawaii recognizes it as do all states.
I was tested and earned my first drivers license in CA- all states recognize it.
I now have one of those Yellow star Hawaii drivers License, meaning "they" know who I am,
with a paper trail a mile long,  recognized and valid everywhere.
But a CCW License isn't recognized and valid in  all states.
Why is that?
 :wtf:

Waverider82

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 07:40:09 AM »
I paid for my marriage license in Nevada, Hawaii and all states recognizes it as valid.
I passed and was awarded my motorcycle license in WA state- Hawaii recognizes it as do all states.
I was tested and earned my first drivers license in CA- all states recognize it.
I now have one of those Yellow star Hawaii drivers License, meaning "they" know who I am,
Why is that?

This is a politicized issue, and like all other politicized issues it's not about facts; it's not about right or wrong, moral or immoral--it's about their side and your side. 

There is only a win for their side or a loss.  Again, there is no right or wrong. There is only what makes their side look good, or win.

Edit: I don't understand most of you. You think your opposition intends to play fair?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 08:00:01 AM by Waverider82 »

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 02:40:32 PM »
Why is that?

The "why" is rhetorical, I'm sure. 

Some states' leaders and lawmakers believe in the individual rights and freedoms protected by the Bill of Rights in the Constitution, so they are good with minimal restrictions to be able to carry in public.

Other states think guns are the devil's invention and should be banned 100%.  Short of that, as long as nobody but LE are allowed to carry in public, it makes them "feel" safer.

Reciprocity is a problem because some of the more restrictive states don't trust the CCW permits from states with less restrictive carry rules.  Part of that problem stems from there being no nationally recognized minimal training or testing standards, unlike how drivers' get their licenses.  Marriage licenses are similar.  As long as the state issuing the license follows minimum guidelines (properly signed and witnessed licenses and officiated by someone authorized to perform marriages), every state accepts them.

So, the simplest solution would be for the Congress to pass a reciprocity law that specifies the minimum guidelines for issuing a permit, which may include a background check, classroom training to learn the law, and live fire training.  If you are between 25-71, your Hawaii driver's license is good for 8 years.  Minimum expiration periods will also have to be addressed for CCW permits so anti-gun states don't set a horribly short renewal timeframe.

Until there's a national standard to set these minimum criteria, we're stuck with each state doing their own thing.
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 03:53:06 PM »
I don't have any confidence in Hawaii's political leaders believing in the bill of rights as outlined in our Constitution.

I do believe that they will do everything in their power to make firearm carry the hardest, most difficult, most frustrating and expensive "right" for a citizen to have.

Until there's a national standard to set these minimum criteria, we're stuck with each state doing their own thing.

Agree 100%.  Neeuw Yawk has already started doing this.  And Hawaii is sure to follow. :grrr:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 02:31:34 AM »
Why is that?

I think this point kinda goes along with my thinking, although I fully understand and recognize zippz point.  As Justice Thomas said:

Thomas complained that “[t]he right to keep and bear arms is apparently this Court’s constitutional orphan.”