I’m a New York City Liberal, and I Want a Gun (Read 380 times)

Flapp_Jackson

I’m a New York City Liberal, and I Want a Gun
« on: July 02, 2022, 04:01:32 PM »
I’m a New York City Liberal, and I Want a Gun
I lived in New York for a decade without fearing for my personal safety. But in recent months, I have
been terrified. In May, I filed for and received a temporary order of protection against a former partner.

More than five million American women alive today have reported being threatened with a gun, shot or
shot at by an intimate partner, and more than half of the perpetrators of mass shootings in the past
decade shot a family member, intimate partner or former intimate partner as part of their rampage.
Every month, 70 women on average are shot and killed by an intimate partner. But states like mine
make it legally cumbersome to defend yourself with a legally purchased handgun.

If my life is ever in danger, I want to be able to protect myself with a gun. And now, thanks to the Supreme
Court’s decision in New York State Rifle and Pistol Association v. Bruen, I am one step closer to carrying one.
I firmly believe in legislation that will prevent criminals, including those who have been convicted of any
domestic violence offense, from owning guns. And I am grateful that President Biden has signed bipartisan
legislation that will narrow the boyfriend loophole that currently allows many abusers legal access to weapons,
as well as enhance background checks for young gun buyers and support for red-flag laws, combat gun
trafficking and fund desperately-needed community and mental health interventions.

I also understand why some of my fellow liberals would like to ban guns outright. But guns are already prevalent
among those who don’t follow the rules: Despite strong gun laws in my state and city, illegal trafficking abounds.

The reality is that in addition to preventing abusers from owning guns, we must empower vulnerable citizens to
protect themselves.

For law-abiding New Yorkers, there is currently no swift and easy way to protect yourself in your own home with a
handgun. Even if you have no criminal record, no history of mental illness and no desire to carry a gun outside of
your home, you must apply for an expensive handgun license. On June 23, the Supreme Court struck down an
additional requirement to demonstrate a heightened need, or “proper cause,” if you want to carry your gun in public.
But the truth is that the world we live in is awash in illegal guns. Ghost guns, which are assembled from components
bought online and are untraceable, are prevalent in coastal states with strict gun laws, and hundreds have been
seized by the New York City Police Department in recent years. New York’s onerous gun licensing requirements
deter law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves. And while city officials boast that gun arrests are at a 28-year
high and shooting incidents were down last month, murder, rape, robbery and assault were all on the rise when
compared with the same time last year.

The unfortunate reality is that you are more likely to be shot and killed by a relative or someone you know than by a
stranger if you are a woman. While most murders in the United States involve a gun, most gun deaths in the United
States are actually suicides, and preventing gun deaths is as much about investing in mental health and our communities
as it is about enacting purchase restrictions.

To be sure, estimates of defensive gun use, as Jennifer Mascia of The Trace recently put it, “are so squishy that the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in May removed all figures from its website.” It has previously cited estimates
ranging from “60,000 to 2.5 million defensive gun uses each year,” but this is typically not a category tracked by law
enforcement agencies, and stats presented largely depend on who is asking and the design of the study.

While recently visiting a state with less restrictive gun laws, I found exactly the gun I would like to buy: a small Smith &
Wesson M&P Bodyguard, light enough for me to confidently handle and safely store.

It sells for about what a handgun license application in New York City costs. And as soon as I am able to legally buy
and carry it without too much hassle, I look forward to sleeping soundly.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/30/opinion/supreme-court-guns-new-york.html
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

robtmc

Re: I’m a New York City Liberal, and I Want a Gun
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 04:27:07 PM »
She voted for that sewer's politicians and laws. deal with it.

Did she mention who she voted for, Scummer, Fat Jerry, Occasional Cortex. de Blowseo?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 04:30:45 PM »
She voted for that sewer's politicians and laws. deal with it.

Did she mention who she voted for, Scummer, Fat Jerry, Occasional Cortex. de Blowseo?

Valid point.  Most of these Liberals fail to connect the dots between who they elect and the erosion of their civil rights.  it's always "the other party" according to the Democrats, and most of their followers believe it.
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

groveler

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 05:52:50 PM »
I’m a New York City Liberal, and I Want a Gunhttps://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/30/opinion/supreme-court-guns-new-york.html
Language is very powerful
I don't have a "partner"
I have a wife of almost 45 years,
My wife has had a husband for almost 45 years.
We are a team.
We raise kids, help out family and do what we need to survive,
We kill things as required.
Y'all don't want to mess with us.
A gun is just one of the tools we use to survive.
Our greatest weapon is each other.
 :thumbsup:

robtmc

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 09:09:04 AM »
I don't have a "partner"
When i read someone talking about their "partner" I immediately think homosexuals, trying to whitewash things.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 12:04:53 PM »
When i read someone talking about their "partner" I immediately think homosexuals, trying to whitewash things.

"Partner" has become code for "Lover."  Either can apply to same or different gender couples.

"Lover" sounds tawdry and uncouth.  "Partner" implies there's more than sex between them.

Nowadays, "partner" has become more acceptable than spouse, husband or wife for obvious reasons.  Even among heterosexuals, the rate of marriage has declined while they cohabitate and raise families.  "Partner" is more generic, so corporate, government and social America tend to use less specific terms to avoid offending.

That's my read on it, anyway.

passivekinetic

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 10:33:07 AM »
"Partner" has become code for "Lover."  Either can apply to same or different gender couples.

"Lover" sounds tawdry and uncouth.  "Partner" implies there's more than sex between them.

Nowadays, "partner" has become more acceptable than spouse, husband or wife for obvious reasons.  Even among heterosexuals, the rate of marriage has declined while they cohabitate and raise families.  "Partner" is more generic, so corporate, government and social America tend to use less specific terms to avoid offending.

That's my read on it, anyway.

Commies always love to pervert language, and in doing so subtly brainwash the populace.

Co-opting the word LIBERAL is one example.

They did in in the USSR and also doing in China and also doing in USA, UK, Canada, etc.

The reason it's prevalent in the USA is because American culture (i.e., mass media Hollywood shit, and "approved" books) is exported to many countries.
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous