KHSC closed starting today 9-16-22 (Read 24922 times)

Gordyf

Re: KHSC closed starting today 9-16-22
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2022, 06:19:25 PM »
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/11/18/city-has-known-years-about-lead-concerns-shooting-range-did-little-warn-workers-danger/

Range closed indefinitely

Honolulu Mayor Rick Blangiardi told Hawaii News Now there’s no timeline for reopening the range.

“We’re not going to let people back there unless it’s safe,” he said.

He added:

“I don’t know when it’s going to reopen to be honest with you. There’s a lot that has to go into that because that had been going on for a long time with respect to use of the range and what was compiled there and what has to be cleaned up.”

Wong, the former range officer, said he has no interest in suing the city but chose to speak out because he wants to see the lead issue abated and the public park reopened as soon as possible.

He said it’s not right to permanently close Oahu’s only public range for reasons that could have been prevented.

“To have the range shut down, it’s an infringement of rights,” Wong said.

The city did confirm it has hired necessary the environmental consultants.

“We are awaiting the recommendations from the above-mentioned consultant before proceeding with the berm renovation project,” the city said, in a statement.

“We understand the environmental concerns of the neighboring community, and also recognize the shooting complex’s importance to the local firearms community, as this location is the only public shooting range on Oahu. We appreciate their patience while we work with these advisors to make necessary improvements to ensure the shooting complex can once again operate safely upon its reopening.”

Meanwhile, city officials say all Koko Head Shooting Complex workers have been reassigned to work at other parks.

Health officials say casual range users shouldn’t worry too much about lead exposure if they follow safety guidelines.

Those include:

Washing your hands and face with soap and water after shooting.
    Changing clothes before you leave the range.
    And washing those items separately from everything else.

It’s also advised not to eat, drink or smoke while shooting.

Valid samples of airborne lead can't be taken unless the range is fully operational. Anything else is peeing in the wind. Anyone tries to tell you different is full of ...
As for the concerns of the neighboring community, seems to me the range was there first?
Yes, the casual user should not have too worry too much about exposure. Employees maybe depending on the results of the airborne lead sampling. Simple measures are available to mitigate.
Washing up and not eating or drinking while handling lead is good protocol.

Aloha
Gordy

QUIETShooter

« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2022, 07:30:59 PM »
This range re-opening is definitely on the backburner of the City Parks and Recreation Dept. and the office of the Mayor.

I don't even think the burner is turned on. :rofl:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

ren

« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2022, 07:37:14 PM »
Keep this in mind come Mayor election time
Deeds Not Words

hvybarrels

« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2022, 07:45:33 PM »
Notice they never say how much the RSO levels were elevated

If it was a significant number they would splash it all around like the “background residential level”

This is all anti gun bullshit
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

powder monkey

« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2022, 08:34:36 PM »
^^^^
HIPA

zippz

« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2022, 08:37:21 PM »
From what I found asking around today and the news article posted, sounds like it'll be a long time until the range reopens. They have to get bids for contracts for the range maintenance, workers union wants hazard pay, neighborhood wants to shut the range down, people are demanding studies be done, etc. It's a pretty big mess.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

ren

« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2022, 08:52:13 PM »
Meanwhile our City rep is on the radio doing commercials and a talk show
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2022, 09:13:21 PM »
^^^^
HIPA

Data that's unassociated with identifiable individuals can be publicized.  They can provide minimum, maximum, average and median aggregated amounts as well as the acceptable thresholds.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

wirecounter

« Reply #188 on: November 17, 2022, 09:22:48 PM »
Keep this in mind come Mayor election time
That is in two years.  F these peeps!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

powder monkey

« Reply #189 on: November 17, 2022, 10:52:09 PM »
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 11:03:17 PM by powder monkey »

QUIETShooter

« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2022, 06:09:41 AM »
Seems like the City knew about the neglect, lack of maintenance, lack of safety protocols, etc. etc. for years but did little to nothing to mitigate it.

Almost seems like they wanted the inevitable to happen.

Kinda reminds me of my old company.  Some old vehicles needed to be replaced but mgt. said no.  When requests for maintenance of these vehicles were requested they were turned down.  So eventually the vehicles broke down and a request for new vehicles was requested.

Mgt. said no.  After many concerned consequent requests, mgt. said there are more pressing issues and we will but these requests on the backburner.

Like I mentioned earlier, mgt. never turned the burner on.

This range re-opening is definitely on the backburner of the City Parks and Recreation Dept. and the office of the Mayor.

I don't even think the burner is turned on. :rofl:

Rocky

« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2022, 08:41:27 AM »
Why have these lead/environmental issues only become a problem AFTER they have become a ptoblem?
The real "problem" is . ::)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 07:12:07 AM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2022, 09:39:53 AM »
Seems like the City knew about the neglect, lack of maintenance, lack of safety protocols, etc. etc. for years but did little to nothing to mitigate it.

Almost seems like they wanted the inevitable to happen.

Kinda reminds me of my old company.  Some old vehicles needed to be replaced but mgt. said no.  When requests for maintenance of these vehicles were requested they were turned down.  So eventually the vehicles broke down and a request for new vehicles was requested.

Mgt. said no.  After many concerned consequent requests, mgt. said there are more pressing issues and we will but these requests on the backburner.

Like I mentioned earlier, mgt. never turned the burner on.

Anyone who's worked in government and experienced the End-of-Fiscal-Year spending sprees understands.  There's never money for things people need to do their jobs 10-11 months out of the year.  However, somehow a miracle happens every August where training, computer hardware and software, office supplies, cool electronics, and other, more extravagant expenditures get funding approval.

If the money isn't spent, they run the risk of a budget cut -- so every dollar they refused to appropriate all year long for necessities is spent on anything and everything just to get rid of the funds.

I learned long ago that the money is always there for the things you & the company need.  It's a matter of priority and smart planning.  No big secret there.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2022, 03:10:11 PM »
services like these PAY for the lead that is recovered. a win-win

https://en-range.com/
Deeds Not Words

ren

« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2022, 05:58:04 PM »
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/11/19/after-months-debate-honolulu-police-close-issuing-first-concealed-carry-gun-permits/

At the Wednesday meeting, Commissioner Carrie Okinaga seemed alarmed by how quickly permits might be issued, and questioned police brass about it.

“Is it like a year or two years? Or two months?” she asked.

When told it would be more like a month, she said “Wow. OK.”

She pointed out that permits would likely be out before the city could pass legislation to control where firearms could be worn.
Deeds Not Words

luckydog1

« Reply #195 on: November 21, 2022, 01:31:57 AM »
Read recently the budget to renovate City Hall bldg. is 100 million.  So each city hall worker from Mayor to clerk is worth infinitely  more than the average firearm owner.  Add insult to injury there are still bathrooms at Kapiolani Park with no toilet paper signs--bring your own, but more than enough funds to re do city hall.  Guess the general public gets the shaft again.

MrJones

« Reply #196 on: November 21, 2022, 05:59:38 AM »
The state would never use a real professional company like en-range. They will find or create some local company that has no clue on how to do the job properly all the while over charging tax payers by the millions. Someone is going to get rich soon. Just look at the rail, and airport runway  projects. Corruption in this State is sick, but residents vote for the same names over and over.

Jones

QUIETShooter

« Reply #197 on: November 21, 2022, 06:15:24 AM »
Read recently the budget to renovate City Hall bldg. is 100 million.  So each city hall worker from Mayor to clerk is worth infinitely  more than the average firearm owner.  Add insult to injury there are still bathrooms at Kapiolani Park with no toilet paper signs--bring your own, but more than enough funds to re do city hall. Guess the general public gets the shaft again.

Yep.  And in different ways they deserve it.

Those who voted for the same old, same old.

Those who felt their vote didn't matter and said f-it I won't vote.

Those who voted for change that will unfairly suffer.

Hawaii's government shafts everybody equally, even those who voted for them. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 06:32:00 AM by QUIETShooter »

drck1000

« Reply #198 on: November 21, 2022, 07:30:03 AM »
Read recently the budget to renovate City Hall bldg. is 100 million.  So each city hall worker from Mayor to clerk is worth infinitely  more than the average firearm owner.  Add insult to injury there are still bathrooms at Kapiolani Park with no toilet paper signs--bring your own, but more than enough funds to re do city hall.  Guess the general public gets the shaft again.
How about Alyson Blair cover that story? 

groveler

« Reply #199 on: November 21, 2022, 03:24:14 PM »
This is 2022.  How long has the range operated?  Why have these lead/environmental issues only become a problem AFTER they have become a ptoblem?

In other words, do you wait to fill up your car or truck AFTER you run out of gas?  Or do you know that is something you should PREVENT by stopping while you still have gas in the tank?

"We appreciate their patience while we work with these advisors to make necessary improvements to ensure the shooting complex can once again operate safely upon its reopening.”

Seems to me the current situation demonstrates the range was NOT operating safely before because there are "necessary improvements" needed.  Just because it was open doesn't mean it was safe.  The levels of lead in the RSOs is evidence of that.
I'm 67 years old.
Been shooting since I was 8 or so.
I built boats and  have been exposed to more nasty shit
than you know.
I'd rather live as free man than some pussy listening to some woman or soy boy
telling me what to do.
5 extra years in a nursing home is not quality of life.
blowing the shit out of targets is.
.5 MOA
 :thumbsup: