KHSC closed starting today 9-16-22 (Read 24137 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Re: KHSC closed starting today 9-16-22
« Reply #200 on: November 21, 2022, 03:30:52 PM »
I'm 67 years old.
Been shooting since I was 8 or so.
I built boats and  have been exposed to more nasty shit
than you know.
I'd rather live as free man than some pussy listening to some woman or soy boy
telling me what to do.
5 extra years in a nursing home is not quality of life.
blowing the shit out of targets is.
.5 MOA
 :thumbsup:

I'm simply calling out the inconsistencies in the statements made regarding safety and why the improvements weren't "necessary" before now.

The timing is suspect -- given the overlap with the Bruen decision and Hawaii's "may issue" scheme being demolished.

You do you.  That has nothing to do with the range, why it's closed, or when it may open again.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #201 on: November 21, 2022, 03:37:03 PM »
I'm 67 years old.
Been shooting since I was 8 or so.
I built boats and  have been exposed to more nasty shit
than you know.
I'd rather live as free man than some pussy listening to some woman or soy boy
telling me what to do.
5 extra years in a nursing home is not quality of life.
blowing the shit out of targets is.
.5 MOA
Novice. . .  :P

But with an AK, that's impressive. . .  ;D

I keed, I keed  :rofl:

groveler

« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2022, 04:29:30 PM »
I'm simply calling out the inconsistencies in the statements made regarding safety and why the improvements weren't "necessary" before now.

The timing is suspect -- given the overlap with the Bruen decision and Hawaii's "may issue" scheme being demolished.

You do you.  That has nothing to do with the range, why it's closed, or when it may open again.
Your range is not opening again.
Y'all are too "soft".
You are dealing with the most vile people ever created.
The kind that think they know what is BEST for you.
 :love:

groveler

« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2022, 04:31:59 PM »
Novice. . .  :P

But with an AK, that's impressive. . .  ;D

I keed, I keed  :rofl:
AK ..... no.
M14 clone yes.
100 meters.
7mm @300 meters
can do also.
Good anti shake drugs.
VA issued.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2022, 04:36:14 PM »
Your range is not opening again.
Y'all are too "soft".
You are dealing with the most vile people ever created.
The kind that think they know what is BEST for you.
 :love:
I think they think they know what's best for THEMSELVES.  They merely try to sell it as being in everyone's best interest.

-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #205 on: November 21, 2022, 04:46:55 PM »
AK ..... no.
M14 clone yes.
100 meters.
7mm @300 meters
can do also.
Good anti shake drugs.
VA issued.
I will hopefully be out shooting again in about a month.  Mostly 100 yards.  When I stopped load development with my 6.5 cm, I was chasing 0.25 MOA.  Consistently, I would say I was closer to 0.30-0.35 MOA.

macsak

« Reply #206 on: November 21, 2022, 07:41:35 PM »
tfti

I will hopefully be out shooting again in about a month.  Mostly 100 yards.  When I stopped load development with my 6.5 cm, I was chasing 0.25 MOA.  Consistently, I would say I was closer to 0.30-0.35 MOA.

ren

Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #208 on: November 22, 2022, 08:59:54 PM »

This is what I was trying to say ... why hasn't anyone looked into this problem until now?

SCOTUS decision?  CCW licensing? Avalanche of unconstitutional gun laws about to fall?

HNN Investigates also uncovered documents that show the city has been aware of lead
contamination at the range for at least two decades, but did little to protect its workers
or educate them about the potential danger.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/11/23/doh-now-involved-probe-into-possible-lead-contamination-oahus-only-public-shooting-range/

No accountability ... no responsibility.  Just promises and SURPRISE when decades-old problems are "suddenly" identified as a health threat.
-- Melvin Udall

zippz

« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2022, 12:30:57 PM »
Got some updates on the KHSC rennovations at the Hawaii Kai Neighborhood Board meeting.

Parks Director Thielen said
1.  Intent is to keep the range open and to get it open as soon as possible once all the work is completed.
2.  Air lead testing was conducted by the EPA showing safe levels.  Lead is heavy so doesn't travel far in the wind.
3.  Ground water contamination is not an issue since lead is contained on the range and is not over an aquafer.
4.  The EPA allows for lead contamination on a shooting range wheras other places, like schools and other parks, must remove or mitigate lead contamination.
5.  Lead poisoning was probably due to lead from the firing line (I'm guessing primers and residue coming out of the barrel.
6.  They hired a lead expert locally to go over some stuff and provide range staff with 4 days of training.
7.  A range consultant they previously used was hired and will do a range inspection in December and provide more guidance.
8.  No range work has been done so far, they are waiting for guidance from the range consultant.
9.  They are looking at other range improvements based on the prior range masterplans and recommendations.
10.  They will work with us to "adopt the park" so volunteers can repair and improve the range.  However it's a long process due to liability and requires certifications, licensing, insurance, and other stuff.  The Kokonut Coalition took 1.5 years of work to get approval from the city to fix the Koko Head stairs.

My thoughts.  Laura Theilen was anti-gun in the legislature, but seems to be working to get the range reopened.  The NB seems satisfied that the range will be safe from lead and ricochets after work has been completed.  Knudsen asked many questions about safety and stated "the gun community thinks I want to shutdown the range, but my intent is to keep it open while ensuring it's safe."  I didn't see anything in his questions or demeanor to say otherwise.

Had about 10 of us present and some testified and talked to Thielen.  I asked that the back half, Hanauma side, of the range be opened as soon as possible due to CCW testing and it doesn't seem to have problems.  They will wait to see what the range consultant says.  I also brought up policies could mitigate a lot of the lead poisoning issues like handwashing stations closer to the firing line, no eating near the firing line, signage, and cleanliness and she agreed.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 01:00:55 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #210 on: November 30, 2022, 12:40:23 PM »
Got some updates on the KHSC rennovations at the Koko Head Neighborhood Board meeting.

Parks Director Thielen said
1.  Intent is to keep the range open and to get it open as soon as possible once all the work is completed.
2.  Air lead testing was conducted by the EPA showing safe levels.  Lead is heavy so doesn't travel far in the wind.
3.  Ground water contamination is not an issue since lead is contained on the range and is not over an aquafer.
4.  The EPA allows for lead contamination on a shooting range wheras other places, like schools and other parks, must remove or mitigate lead contamination.
5.  Lead poisoning was probably due to lead from the firing line (I'm guessing primers and residue coming out of the barrel.
6.  They hired a lead expert locally to go over some stuff and provide range staff with 4 days of training.
7.  A range consultant they previously used was hired and will do a range inspection in December and provide more guidance.
8.  No range work has been done so far, they are waiting for guidance from the range consultant.
9.  They are looking at other range improvements based on the prior range masterplans and recommendations.
10.  They will work with us to "adopt the park" so volunteers can repair and improve the range.  However it's a long process due to liability and requires certifications, licensing, insurance, and other stuff.  The Kokonut Coalition took 1.5 years of work to get approval from the city to fix the Koko Head stairs.

My thoughts.  Laura Theilen was anti-gun in the legislature, but seems to be working to get the range reopened.  The NB seems satisfied that the range will be safe from lead and ricochets after work has been completed.  Knudsen asked many questions about safety and stated "the gun community thinks I want to shutdown the range, but my intent is to keep it open while ensuring it's safe."  I didn't see anything in his questions or demeanor to say otherwise.

Had about 10 of us come up and testify and talk to Thielen.  I asked that the back half, Hanauma side, of the range be opened as soon as possible due to CCW testing and it doesn't seem to have problems.  They will wait to see what the range consultant says.  I also brought up policies could mitigate a lot of the lead poisoning issues like handwashing stations closer to the firing line, no eating near the firing line, signage, and cleanliness and she agreed.

Thank you for talking to her and all those who were there.

stangzilla

« Reply #211 on: November 30, 2022, 12:57:59 PM »
Thank you for talking to her and all those who were there.

+1
thanks, zippz.  appreciate all your hard work   :shaka:

QUIETShooter

« Reply #212 on: November 30, 2022, 01:11:24 PM »
Amazing and wonderful news to hear.  Thank you, zippz.  :shaka:

I like the adopt a park idea.  I would be more than willing to volunteer in the maintenance and cleanup.

Such a wonderful upstart in hope after all the negative hoopla that was flying around.  I blame myself for part of this negativity.  :(

Anyway, hoping for the best.  Thanks again.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

changemyoil66

« Reply #213 on: November 30, 2022, 01:28:04 PM »
Amazing and wonderful news to hear.  Thank you, zippz.  :shaka:

I like the adopt a park idea.  I would be more than willing to volunteer in the maintenance and cleanup.

Such a wonderful upstart in hope after all the negative hoopla that was flying around.  I blame myself for part of this negativity.  :(

Anyway, hoping for the best.  Thanks again.

I know a few people who bring hand soap for the restroom since there is often none.  This was pre covid too.

stangzilla

« Reply #214 on: November 30, 2022, 01:39:29 PM »
I know a few people who bring hand soap for the restroom since there is often none.  This was pre covid too.

I am one of those people
also bring for the silly side, since I go there a lot and there's a sink right there
soap is relatively cheap, so no biggie in donating every once in a while. I always have a full bottle of soap in my range bag

Rocky

« Reply #215 on: November 30, 2022, 02:57:11 PM »
   I remember back around 2013-2014 a bunch of us tried to "adopt" the park.  :thumbsup:
We wanted to rebuild / fix  rifle benches, get water running at upper water and lower ends, upper bathroom working, electrical work etc...
Got shut down due to "liability" I think it was.
Most I ever got to do was pressure wash both bathrooms for SSF or was it Hunter Ed day.
Whatever.
Thought we should paint them as long as they were clean but was NG.  :-\
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

robtmc

« Reply #216 on: November 30, 2022, 03:41:57 PM »
Knudsen asked many questions about safety and stated "the gun community thinks I want to shutdown the range, but my intent is to keep it open while ensuring it's safe." 
Bullshit, that SOB has been trying to shut it down for years.

He was a prime "helper" is the campaign to shut down getting a BI range built.  Who else but an anti firearm fanatic would care about an island 200 miles away?

sa594

« Reply #217 on: November 30, 2022, 09:47:11 PM »
Thanks zippz

DocMercy

« Reply #218 on: December 04, 2022, 09:08:38 AM »
Negligible lead amounts per cubic meter of air, according to the consultant the state hired.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hawaii/comments/zbq614/no_airborne_lead_contamination_detected_at/

What is the next excuse they will use for not re-opening? I know the answer. The hotel and real estate lobby want the land to build more high priced buildings on Oahu. Bad enough that the median housing price is destined to cross one million dolla's soon. Plenty of dolla's around da range.

robtmc

« Reply #219 on: December 23, 2022, 10:58:46 AM »
How are y'all doing getting your only public range back?