Might get into reloading (Read 30781 times)

rklapp

Re: Might get into reloading
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 10:27:11 PM »
PSA: Please don't drink alcohol and reload
Margaritas make the best kind of lubricant for reloading.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

ren

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 08:03:12 AM »
Margaritas make the best kind of lubricant for reloading.

Thats dumb
Deeds Not Words

justin1098

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 07:01:14 PM »
i reload because I enjoy it and I can make better ammo than I can buy. Plus it gives me an excuse to lock my wife and kid out of the room.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 07:10:38 PM »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 07:35:55 PM »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

rklapp

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 07:37:53 PM »
Thats dumb
That's for your benefit.

ren

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 08:53:33 PM »
I'd say a Dillon 550 would be the best press to start. It doesn't auto index so it can work as a single stage. It's very flexible, reloads both pistol and rifles using industry standard dies and maintains a good resale value.
There are some reloaders here that just started as evident in previous posts. I'm not going to swing my dick around and say "Ive been doing this for ___years" but taking your time and understanding how and why things work will pay off in safety and quality. Don't distract yourself and learn to troubleshoot. Focus on manageable variables. Some people learn the hard way but changing many variables at once and trying to find good results to no avail. If you need to take some Ritalin best you step away from the press. Don't be the monkey on top of the football. Be the Vulcan. Take up Oldfarts offer of reloading mentorship.
Deeds Not Words

rklapp

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2018, 09:59:21 PM »
I agree that Oldfart's mentorship is the way to go, particularly with pistol reloading and casting, both are not my particular forte. The reality is that there is no one way to reload. Just peruse Midway or WGS to witness the myriad products that are available. The trick is to figure out what works for you.

shdws

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 08:38:24 AM »
I agree that Oldfart's mentorship is the way to go, particularly with pistol reloading and casting, both are not my particular forte. The reality is that there is no one way to reload. Just peruse Midway or WGS to witness the myriad products that are available. The trick is to figure out what works for you.

The myriad of products is whats generally scaring me away.  I tend to go a bit overboard and buy things I dont need, which looks like its super easy to do.  I was just in security equipment recently and the selection of powders alone is quite daunting.

I'm going to do a bit of research though and start with 44mag/44spl and maybe 357mag/38spl.  Do these semi-interchangeable cartridges have similar tooling or do I need separate dies for each?  Is it even worth doing the special rounds or can I just give the magnum cases a lower powder charge?  I have a ton more magnum brass than special brass, but sometimes its fun to shoot soft loads out of giant revolvers.

Also, what has been all of your experiences sourcing powder and bullets being here in Hawaii? 

oldfart

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »
The myriad of products is whats generally scaring me away.  I tend to go a bit overboard and buy things I dont need, which looks like its super easy to do.  I was just in security equipment recently and the selection of powders alone is quite daunting.

I'm going to do a bit of research though and start with 44mag/44spl and maybe 357mag/38spl.  Do these semi-interchangeable cartridges have similar tooling or do I need separate dies for each?  Is it even worth doing the special rounds or can I just give the magnum cases a lower powder charge?  I have a ton more magnum brass than special brass, but sometimes its fun to shoot soft loads out of giant revolvers.

Also, what has been all of your experiences sourcing powder and bullets being here in Hawaii?
You should drop by and chat. It'll be a lot faster to answer all your questions. And you can see the process yourself.
What, Me Worry?

macsak

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 09:15:53 AM »

well, if you were at SEC yesterday, you know that powder supplies are plentiful
many of us here use xtreme bullets
sign up for their email list, they have very frequent sales, especially on major holidays
for example, they regularly offer 10% off and free shipping
for black friday, it was 20% off and free shipping
and christmas/new years it was 15% off and free shipping

macsak

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 09:17:46 AM »
You should drop by and chat. It'll be a lot faster to answer all your questions. And you can see the process yourself.

oldfart is an extremely knowledgeable and patient teacher
he has taught many members of this site

oldfart

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 09:39:06 AM »
Thanks for the endorsement. I'm just trying to do my part to help out. When I started shooting pistols, I was fortunate to have the guidance of many old-timers who have since passed away. It would be a waste to have that knowledge die off.
What, Me Worry?

2ahavvaii

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 10:15:56 AM »

It's daunting at first, but pretty simple regarding the mix of products.

Buy powder and primers here.  Bullets and brass cheaper online or once fired.  Use reviews to guide your purchases.

Depending on your firearm,  you can likely load "mild to wild".  You can  do things like upload a sp to double the standard charge or download a mag round to ultra light levels.  At first, follow the recommended loads.  Even so, if you have a stout revolver like a ruger, its unlikely you'll be able to blow it up by overloading the brass.   Those guns are built STOUT.

44sp 38sp you can use and shpuld just buy the mag dies.  This is one advantage of using guns that take both.  You can just use the mag brass for all your loads low to high if you choose.  That is the beauty of reloading

Get a reloading manual, any of the loadputs should be ok to use, people choose different powders on personal preference.  You can research that online.  Start with lower loadputs and work your way up.  Honestly you cannlearn by just watching a YouTube video tutorial for a similar cartridge.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:47:42 AM by 2ahavvaii »

Inspector

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 11:53:39 AM »
Yes he has. Including me. Even though he made me stand over a hot lead pot for 20+ hours casting boolits for him.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

rklapp

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 12:03:44 PM »
SEC has best price for primers. About $36 for brick of magnums. SEC and HGS has best powder prices. WGS has the hard to find powders. Amazon Prime, Brownells and Cabelas have actual free shipping often. Midway charges a $10 fee to Hawaii and it’s always a surprise with Grafs. The best situation is if you catch wind of someone shipping in powder and they’re willing to share part of their pallet but careful, people have been burned (figuratively).

I use the Hornady and Lyman loading manuals. Hodgdon, Ramshot and others are available online.

oldfart

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 12:06:14 PM »
Yes he has. Including me. Even though he made me stand over a hot lead pot for 20+ hours casting boolits for him.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
You gained knowledge and I got free boolits. I'm no dummy. :rofl: :rofl:

I'm running low on boolits I need another pidgeon....student
What, Me Worry?

rklapp

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »
Remember your lessons, Grasshopper. Wax on, wax off...

2ahavvaii

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 01:10:34 PM »
I learned to reload pistol by myself watching youtube videos a long time ago.  I had an instructor for rifle, but needed to figure out pistol by myself.  When you buy reloading dies, it comes with instructions, but if you've never reloaded before, the instructions might as well be written in greek.  lol   There's tons of videos like the one below.    No need bother with trimming at first.  If you measure with a caliper, and the brass is way out of spec, just put it on the side or dump it.