Revolver show and tell (Read 217405 times)

jc2721

Re: Revolver show and tell
« Reply #360 on: February 05, 2018, 05:45:26 PM »
The 17 is 70's vintage, I think the 38 is 60's vintage.  I ordered the parts from Midway--they had a pretty good birthday price (almost half off of what Brownell's was going to charge).  The parts are pretty simple but the locking spring is about an 8th in diameter and I don't know if there's a tool for that.  I'm going to try using a roll pin punch to press the spring down into it's recess.

The 17 had excessive endshake so I bought the Power Custom bearings and dropped one in--it cured the problems so far.  The bearings are pretty inexpensive (less than 2 bucks each) but you gotta buy 10 in a pack so I bundled it with some other revolver goodies from Brownells.  Now I've got enough bearings to fix more guns but fortunately none of my other revolvers need fixing (except for the 38 and you can't use the bearings for that purpose).

Those Midway USA gunsmithing videos are good for learning how to DIY.  If my attempt to fix the sight fails then I'll probably buy a sight assembly from GB or Ebay.  If I have to send the whole revolver to a gunsmith or the factory the shipping alone would cost more than a replacement sight.  We'll see what happens.

If I ever get the adaptor for my chromebook to upload pics from my camera I'll start posting pics of some of my new toys.

stangzilla

« Reply #361 on: February 05, 2018, 06:38:35 PM »
Post up your progress
Hope you get it all worked out  :shaka:

Inspector

« Reply #362 on: February 05, 2018, 08:49:12 PM »
The 17 is 70's vintage, I think the 38 is 60's vintage.  I ordered the parts from Midway--they had a pretty good birthday price (almost half off of what Brownell's was going to charge).  The parts are pretty simple but the locking spring is about an 8th in diameter and I don't know if there's a tool for that.  I'm going to try using a roll pin punch to press the spring down into it's recess.

The 17 had excessive endshake so I bought the Power Custom bearings and dropped one in--it cured the problems so far.  The bearings are pretty inexpensive (less than 2 bucks each) but you gotta buy 10 in a pack so I bundled it with some other revolver goodies from Brownells.  Now I've got enough bearings to fix more guns but fortunately none of my other revolvers need fixing (except for the 38 and you can't use the bearings for that purpose).

Those Midway USA gunsmithing videos are good for learning how to DIY.  If my attempt to fix the sight fails then I'll probably buy a sight assembly from GB or Ebay.  If I have to send the whole revolver to a gunsmith or the factory the shipping alone would cost more than a replacement sight.  We'll see what happens.

If I ever get the adaptor for my chromebook to upload pics from my camera I'll start posting pics of some of my new toys.
Unless I'm missing something it seems easier to just replace the entire rear sight.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Heavies

« Reply #363 on: February 05, 2018, 09:36:29 PM »
Unless I'm missing something it seems easier to just replace the entire rear sight.
That's what I was thinking, isn't it held down with the one front screw?  Maybe JC wants to keep as much as the original as possible? 

jc2721

« Reply #364 on: February 05, 2018, 10:48:53 PM »
It would be easier in a way to just replace the whole sight but they can run anywhere from $60-$100 and there's no guarantee that it will fit.  S&W lists 3 or 4 different sight blade heights that vary depending on barrel length and probably caliber as well, so the chances of getting a satisfactory match aren't too great.  The replacement parts from Midway cost me about $15 so I'm willing to try and fix it myself.  If I can't fix it I can then buy a replacement.  I kind of enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to fix my own guns and I derive some satisfaction from doing it myself.  I don't own or use precision tools (lathes, mills) and I don't consider myself a "gunsmith" by any means--I'm more of a "parts-replacer."  Besides, I like saving money!

The S&W rear sight parts are very complex to manufacture but in terms of assembly/disassembly it's not too hard to do, except for that lock spring I've mentioned.  What appears to be the elevation screw is actually a nut.  There's a tiny plunger and spring that fits in the nut and provides the "clicks."  The nut is held in place in the sight body by the lock spring.  The nut then screws onto the threaded elevation post which fits into a slot machined into the topstrap. 

stangzilla

« Reply #365 on: February 15, 2018, 08:51:09 AM »
Comparing gel ballistics out of a 38 snubnose and 4" barrel
Shooting the FBI load 38sp+p 158 grain LSWCHP

Much better out of the longer barrel, although it took a few inches to start the bullet expansion with 19" of penetration
Snubnose had no expansion with over 24" penetration

stangzilla

« Reply #366 on: February 15, 2018, 09:03:57 AM »
Ballistic gel test out of a snubnose 38
Shooting 38sp Hornady 38sp XTP

These look better than the FBI load even if it's not +p

stangzilla

« Reply #367 on: February 19, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »
According to this guy, he asked Colt and they said that they WILL be making a new Python after some variations on their Cobra.
I'll definately get one as long as it's not too expensive

Inspector

« Reply #368 on: February 19, 2018, 04:48:30 PM »
According to this guy, he asked Colt and they said that they WILL be making a new Python after some variations on their Cobra.
I'll definately get one as long as it's not too expensive

I want to check out your Cobra as well. I'm with you on that Python purchase.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

stangzilla

« Reply #369 on: February 19, 2018, 04:58:10 PM »
I want to check out your Cobra as well. I'm with you on that Python purchase.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll bring it to the revolver summit next month and you can shoot it. 
and when they make the Anaconda, I'll get that too!   :D

Inspector

« Reply #370 on: February 19, 2018, 05:06:42 PM »

I'll bring it to the revolver summit next month and you can shoot it. 
and when they make the Anaconda, I'll get that too!   :D
I might have to live vicariously through you and your revolvers.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

stangzilla

« Reply #371 on: February 20, 2018, 08:08:13 AM »
I might have to live vicariously through you and your revolvers.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In that case, I'll have to get more!

jc2721

« Reply #372 on: February 22, 2018, 10:34:37 PM »

Update:  the parts arrived a couple days ago and Teichi came over to help me rebuild the sight for the .38.  Prying off the old spring clip was a pain, but in the end we were able to re-use the spring.  Teichi used a 5.56 casing to push the spring into place and the sight appears to work fine now.  I probably spent less than $15 for the parts vs $60-$90 for a replacement sight.

Lessons learned:  1.  if the parts are small, buy at least 2 of everything--I lost a plunger and an elevation post but I did have two of each so that wasn't a problem, just a few bucks down the tube.  2.  A magnet does a good job of holding small steel parts  3.  assembling the sight inside of a ziploc may be difficult but it could save a small part or two.

If I can make it to the wheelgun shoot I'll bring the Models 14, 17 and possibly my prewar .357 magnum.  I've got a few Colts but I prefer to shoot Smiths.

I'm waiting on a gizmo to arrive so I can upload pics.

[/quote]

TastesLikeMetal

« Reply #373 on: March 11, 2018, 10:52:32 PM »
I'll try to make it.
my dad is having surgery the week before, so I'll be helping with the recovery.  maybe I can make it on the 18th, we'll see.
if not, I can always catch you guys at the next one.   :shaka:

I'm in the same Boat, Mom is going in for Knee replacement.  Hope everything goes well with your Father.

Inspector

« Reply #374 on: March 12, 2018, 04:37:48 AM »
I'm in the same Boat, Mom is going in for Knee replacement.  Hope everything goes well with your Father.
I hope all goes well for your mom and she has a speedy recovery.

TastesLikeMetal

« Reply #375 on: March 12, 2018, 09:50:36 PM »
I hope all goes well for your mom and she has a speedy recovery.
Much appreciated Sir.

macsak

« Reply #376 on: March 12, 2018, 10:06:43 PM »
Much appreciated Sir.

who is doing the surgery?
mom had her partial knee done 2 weeks ago today by dr cass nakasone
she's doing well, her knee bends more than the other side that had a full knee done 12 years ago

TastesLikeMetal

« Reply #377 on: March 17, 2018, 12:54:08 PM »
who is doing the surgery?
mom had her partial knee done 2 weeks ago today by dr cass nakasone
she's doing well, her knee bends more than the other side that had a full knee done 12 years ago
Her docs say Gregory Y Lee, her Insurance is through Kaiser.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #378 on: March 17, 2018, 01:16:01 PM »
Her docs say Gregory Y Lee, her Insurance is through Kaiser.

Lee?  Must be a Southerner ...

:thumbsup:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

scorpio ps

« Reply #379 on: March 26, 2018, 04:33:19 AM »
Try Korean. Know him very well.