Jussie Smollett paid $3,500 to stage his attack, hoping to promote his career (Read 12815 times)

oldfart

Clever? Clever as a felony.
Yes, he is either extremely stupid or very clever.
Consider that you don't earn 100k per episode by being extremely stupid, I think he is being clever...like a game of chess.

If you think about it, what is the very worst punishment that a low-level non-violent felon could get? Especially a high paid tv personality.
I'm guessing he will get a slap on the wrist and maybe do some public service. But look at how much face time he is getting in return.
The old adage is always true...."any publicity is good publicity"
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

Consider that you don't earn 100k per episode by being extremely stupid, I think he is being clever...like a game of chess.

If you think about it, what is the very worst punishment that a low-level non-violent felon could get? Especially a high paid tv personality.
I'm guessing he will get a slap on the wrist and maybe do some public service. But look at how much face time he is getting in return.

From my reading, the felony disorderly conduct for filing the false report and staging the very public hoax is 1-3 years in prison potentially.

Then there's the federal possibilities. He sent a letter to the studio with white power in it that turned out to be aspirin.

The FBI and USPS are actually investigating possible terrorism charged for that stunt.

There are a broad array of federal criminal statutes that protect the U.S. mail, including mailing threatening
communications, mailing injurious articles, and even a federal “hoax” statute.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/why-charges-against-jussie-smollett-are-considered-felony-n974031
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

oldfart

From my reading, the felony disorderly conduct for filing the false report and staging the very public hoax is 1-3 years in prison potentially.

Then there's the federal possibilities. He sent a letter to the studio with white power in it that turned out to be aspirin.

The FBI and USPS are actually investigating possible terrorism charged for that stunt.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/why-charges-against-jussie-smollett-are-considered-felony-n974031
==========
 of course the possible charges and penalties are stiff, but then there is reality.
 I'll take a wild guess and say he gets hearing where the judge gives him a stiff fine and public service.
Why? because it takes real taxpayer money to prosecute the hardcore charges.

What, Me Worry?

RSN172

Not so smart when the studio writes you off the show.  Thought he wasn’t getting paid enough? How about not getting paid at all and paying the CPD for the expenses of their investigation into this stupid hoax.

drck1000

So a celebrity who makes a lot of money can’t be extremely stupid? While maybe Smollett isn’t extremely stupid, but I am pretty sure this isn’t playing out how he thought nor is he playing some sort of elaborate long game. Playing chess? He sacrificed his queen to a couple of Nigerian pawns and the gambit failed. Miserably. And I’m enjoying seeing it blow up in his face.

ren

People will forget about this scam but will remember the fake details of it.
MAGA anti-gay Trump supporters attacked a gay actor.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

So a celebrity who makes a lot of money can’t be extremely stupid? While maybe Smollett isn’t extremely stupid, but I am pretty sure this isn’t playing out how he thought nor is he playing some sort of elaborate long game. Playing chess? He sacrificed his queen to a couple of Nigerian pawns and the gambit failed. Miserably. And I’m enjoying seeing it blow up in his face.

Sometimes it's not about intelligence.  Narcissism, arrogance, living in a make-believe career, blinding anger ..... lots of conditions can combine to guide people who are otherwise relatively smart to make really stupid decisions.

Then there are the possible outside influencers: Kamala Harris, Corey Booker, the entire cast of The View, the Main Stream Media, all his Liberal/Gay buddies buying the lies that Trump hates Gays, etc, etc.
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

Sometimes it's not about intelligence.  Narcissism, arrogance, living in a make-believe career, blinding anger ..... lots of conditions can combine to guide people who are otherwise relatively smart to make really stupid decisions.

Then there are the possible outside influencers: Kamala Harris, Corey Booker, the entire cast of The View, the Main Stream Media, all his Liberal/Gay buddies buying the lies that Trump hates Gays, etc, etc.
Yeah. Copy. My point what that we see stories of otherwise wealthy or successful people, many celebrities, doing stupid things daily. 

drck1000

People will forget about this scam but will remember the fake details of it.
MAGA anti-gay Trump supporters attacked a gay actor.
And supposedly a somewhat influential and central character in the series that many in the LGBT community saw as their champion and role model. I have never watched an episode, but had read that from more than a few sources.

Flapp_Jackson

And supposedly a somewhat influential and central character in the series that many in the LGBT community saw as their champion and role model. I have never watched an episode, but had read that from more than a few sources.

The same people who applauded Ellen Degeneres and "Will and Grace" as edgy and ground-breaking say the same thing anytime an LGBT actor gets to play an LGBT character on TV.

I remember what a major departure it was when black actors began staring in TV shows. Now, not a biggie.  Someday, the press will stop placing certain groups on pedestals for doing the things many before have done for decades.

"She's the first White bio-male identifying as a black transgender lesbian woman to play a white gay man on TV."
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

Just watched the TNT bit with Barkley again and just saw the part where they wrote a check to “Mugger” for $3500 and for “Mugging supplies”.  :rofl:

Flapp_Jackson

Just watched the TNT bit with Barkley again and just saw the part where they wrote a check to “Mugger” for $3500 and for “Mugging supplies”.  :rofl:

-- Melvin Udall

All_rice

TMZ is now reporting that the payment was for personal training, which the 2 brothers do.
Land of the free, because of the Brave!

drck1000

TMZ is now reporting that the payment was for personal training, which the 2 brothers do.

Yup.  Saw that mentioned in some other coverage, including FoxNews.

Chicago police say they have more evidence Jussie Smollett staged hate crime

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/chicago-police-theres-more-evidence-jussie-smollett-staged-hate-crime

There seems to be a LOT of evidence against Smollett, and seems like only a portion of that has been made public.  Will be interesting to see what other defenses his legal team tries to make. 

Flapp_Jackson

If the 2 brothers said the payment was for a hoax, you have to ask, "why would they lie?"

I mean, if the money was not for the attack, why say it was?  Are they framing him? 

They also said he gave them a $100 bill to pay for the items they bought for the attack -- masks, jackets, hats, clothesline, bleach, etc.

Makes no sense.  Jussie has to be lying -- which he has a history of doing (gave police his brother's ID when arrested for DUI).
-- Melvin Udall

All_rice

If the 2 brothers said the payment was for a hoax, you have to ask, "why would they lie?"

I mean, if the money was not for the attack, why say it was?  Are they framing him? 

They also said he gave them a $100 bill to pay for the items they bought for the attack -- masks, jackets, hats, clothesline, bleach, etc.

Makes no sense.  Jussie has to be lying -- which he has a history of doing (gave police his brother's ID when arrested for DUI).

I agree with you and think smollet is full of shit.  If they were getting paid that much to train him, they had better access to him.  Why beat him up in public? 
Land of the free, because of the Brave!

Flapp_Jackson

I agree with you and think smollet is full of shit.  If they were getting paid that much to train him, they had better access to him.  Why beat him up in public?

Yep. The Chicago Police Superintendent was on the news again. He said there is more physical evidence, video evidence and witness testimony that hasn't been made public, and it's all bad for Jussie.

For Jussie or his lawyers to claim the police framed him is ludicrous. They have no motive.  In fact, Chicago is Obama-town.  If the Chicago Police were going to frame anyone, it would have been the two MAGA hat-wearing, clothesline noose tying, bleach-splashing, can't hold down one skinny guy between the two of them, homophobic Trump supporters.

I'm waiting to see how much of a fictitious story Jussie and his lawyers can concoct. This is starting to sound like the sequel to "What Happened."   :rofl:
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

Latest news:  The series Smollett stars in, "Empire", has been renewed for one FINAL season: Season 6.  It will likely begin airing  in Sept 2019, and contain the same 18 episodes as previous full seasons.

Smollett's character has reportedly not been included in the script, but that can always change.

He's still in legal trouble with Chicago demanding restitution for the false report costs to investigate, as well as the potential corruption allegations toward the state attorney who intervened in the decision after he was indicted.

As usual, the wheels of justice turn slowly when a Liberal icon stands accused -- long enough for other news to displace the story to steal the spotlight.

-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

I haven't been following this one very much, but I thought I heard his character was coming back.  Or maybe it was his character wasn't going to get written out as soon as speculated had the legal stuff turned south for him.  Anyways, I remember thinking how funny it would be for the show to bring him back and have then have his character get mugged.   ;D

They wouldn't be so meen to him though. . .  :(

changemyoil66

Shortly after they cops found the 2 brothers, the producers said his character will be written off.  This is also prior to the video of them buying the supplies.  So I think the producers didn't want him back because it would open a can of worms.  I never watched the show so IDK how important he was to the story line.

He is still maintaining his story, but I think the atty is being looked into.  IIRC, he hired Avenatie's atty also.  Who was also busted.