Survival Food (Read 9477 times)

drck1000

Re: Survival Food
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 05:58:09 PM »
I have tried several of the Mountain House food packets and have no complaints as far as taste goes.  This is survival food, not fine dining.  I got enough food in the freezer and pantry to go at least two weeks before I have to hit my survival food stash.  Keep a good supply of coffee, salt and sugar to barter with.
Same here. The breakfast skillet and chicken and rice are decent. It’s calories and East to prep.

Tried Wise and another. Wise was what I would save for last. 🤢

groveler

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »
I have tried several of the Mountain House food packets and have no complaints as far as taste goes.  This is survival food, not fine dining.  I got enough food in the freezer and pantry to go at least two weeks before I have to hit my survival food stash.  Keep a good supply of coffee, salt and sugar to barter with.
Point well taken, but as I said I'm one of those kind that prep for TEOTWAWKI.
So I live off my survival foods and rotate through the stash.  One important thing
to remember is to keep your spirits up. I'd be pretty depressed if I had to live off
Mountain brand for a month.  A couple of days out hunting in a primitive wilderness
area eating that stuff is enough for anybody.  I've done it. I'd go with Pemmican
and hard tack, next primitive wilderness trip.
Also better barter is alcohol, tobacco, et al.  Things people may have habits for.
I quit drinking coffee 12 or so years ago, but I know people that try as they
might can't stop smoking.
Keep on Prepping!

RSN172

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2020, 10:46:26 AM »
I know that alcohol and tobacco is very powerful bartering items.  Alcohol I am ok with, but I don't like tobacco and won't
supply anyone with it.  Lots of feral pigs and chickens around me, so I can supplement my survival diet with that.  That is
where having a good supply of salt comes in handy.  Salt won't go bad, doesn’t attract bugs and makes bland food tasty.
Imagine having to eat pork or chicken with no seasoning.  You will get nourishment, but not enjoy it. 

RSN172

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 02:47:38 PM »

changemyoil66

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2020, 09:46:29 AM »
I know that alcohol and tobacco is very powerful bartering items.  Alcohol I am ok with, but I don't like tobacco and won't
supply anyone with it.  Lots of feral pigs and chickens around me, so I can supplement my survival diet with that.  That is
where having a good supply of salt comes in handy.  Salt won't go bad, doesn’t attract bugs and makes bland food tasty.
Imagine having to eat pork or chicken with no seasoning.  You will get nourishment, but not enjoy it.
Did people back in the day use gunpowder for seasoning?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GlockNewb

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2020, 09:33:08 PM »
Did people back in the day use gunpowder for seasoning?

Considering one of the possible sources of salt petre, hard pass on that... :shaka:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate (See”French Method” or “Swiss Method”)
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

MassConfusion

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2022, 03:23:17 PM »
Now might be a good time to drag one's knuckles down to costco or sams and pick up some bulk food.  Flour is still relatively cheap even though people prefer rice.
With that it might be worth making some hard tack just in case.  Vac seal it with either an o2 absorber or some silica it would probably be good for quite a while.
https://breaddad.com/hardtack-recipe/
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
 “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” ― Mark Twain

hvybarrels

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2022, 07:26:08 PM »
I've been having pizza night once a week just because I know it's going to be gone soon due to spring wheat disaster. Having a heck of a time burning off those carbs but that shouldn't be an issue soon.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

aletheuo137

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2022, 08:25:42 AM »
I got those and some MRE's.  Not sure when the MRE's xp, because they dont' have a date on the bag.  Pretty sure they're good until the bag turns dark brown.

I wanted some non-freeze dried food.  I was told by  a hunter that you can just add tap water to the freeze dried stuff and let it soak for an hour or 2.
Cold soaking!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

aletheuo137

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2022, 08:26:23 AM »

QUIETShooter

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2022, 07:07:01 AM »
I try to tell my kids to stock up now when they can.

But they no listen.

They are truly sheep.

I tried to make them realize we are on an island in the middle of nowhere and that we will be impacted more than the mainland.

But they are sheep.  And I have failed. :grrr:

But watch them come my house when the SHTF. :rofl:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Rocky

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2022, 09:22:24 AM »
Got these in. The one on the left isnt vacuum sealed. Gonna contact amazon tomorrow.

These are one of my standards along with the 8 flavors of 410 cal NewMilleniuim energy bars (also 5yr).
When my future SIL was enlisting and "under weight" I gave him a bunch of these to supplement his cal intake and he gained the necessary weight.

As for the barter aspect, tampons !
What would you trade to stop your SO from bitch'n about the lack of that item !  :shake:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2022, 09:25:14 AM »
I try to tell my kids to stock up now when they can.

But they no listen.

They are truly sheep.

I tried to make them realize we are on an island in the middle of nowhere and that we will be impacted more than the mainland.

But they are sheep.  And I have failed. :grrr:

But watch them come my house when the SHTF. :rofl:

I just tell all that it ain't gonna get any cheaper and by buying now, you save money !  :D
Child psychology 101 says the guy with 180+ rolls of TP  :rofl:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

MassConfusion

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2022, 07:21:14 AM »
These are one of my standards along with the 8 flavors of 410 cal NewMilleniuim energy bars (also 5yr).
When my future SIL was enlisting and "under weight" I gave him a bunch of these to supplement his cal intake and he gained the necessary weight.

What would you trade to stop your SO from bitch'n about the lack of that item !  :shake:

BTW, if you want a barter item, costco vodka is 14$ for 1.75 liters  ;D :thumbsup:

I bought some of the sos bars recently.  I pulled them company direct(maybe not manufacturer) off of ebay though,  I paid maybe 4$ more than amazon but one of the packs had lost its vacuum seal so the company gave me a partial which took the price point lower and i get to eat them.  So double plus good for price and the company integrity.  I do not consider them to be a meal replacement, more of a snack or food of last resort.  I will have to give those millennium bars a taste.
I also tried these sandwiches that were from bridgeford, couple types, that are supposed to be like 3 or 4 year shelf stable.  Not very good tasting and mostly bread, dont really recommend them unless you are hungry.
Costco had the mountain house variety packs for a while during hurricane prep season but i haven't seen them in the past couple years.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 07:45:45 AM by MassConfusion »
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
 “The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.” ― Mark Twain

Rocky

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2022, 07:49:46 AM »
[quote author=Rocky link=topic=35319.msg423790#msg423790 date=1654629744
[/quote]

https://www.aol.com/finance/weve-had-baby-formula-toilet-213054800.html
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

zippz

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2022, 08:30:37 AM »
Got the freeze dryer in.  Just need to get a 240v outlet installed.

It'll be available for rent in the future.  Save money freeze drying your own food v. buying pre-made packs.

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Rocky

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2022, 08:50:26 AM »
Got the freeze dryer in.  Just need to get a 240v outlet installed.

It'll be available for rent in the future.  Save money freeze drying your own food v. buying pre-made packs.

Temporary usage. Use your stove outlet or put 3=way switch and outlet on hot H2O power supply.  :geekdanc:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

zippz

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2022, 09:43:16 AM »
Temporary usage. Use your stove outlet or put 3=way switch and outlet on hot H2O power supply.  :geekdanc:

Possible but not practical.  Each freeze dry session takes 24 to 36 hours.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2022, 12:16:10 PM »

If your oven uses 50%+ of the available amps available on its 220-240v circuit, you'd be violating the national electrical code by adding another appliance to the same circuit.  Also, if the 2 appliances together need more max amps than the circuit offers, that's an obvious clue you shouldn't be piggybacking on the oven's outlet.

You have to consider both the circuit breaker amp rating AND the wiring gauge used for the oven's circuit.  Even if the breakers are more than double the oven's max amp usage, the wiring may only be capable of safely delivering the max amperage for one appliance.

All 220/240 appliances should be on their own dedicated circuit.  If for no other reason than to separate them by circuit breakers that only permit the max amps per appliance.  So, if the oven needs 40A, and the freeze drier only needs 20A, operating the 20A device alone means you're allowing 150% the max number of amps on that circuit.  If there's a malfunction in the drier, the circuit breaker may not trip soon enough to prevent damage to the device, damage to the electrical system/wiring, or a fire.

There's a reason we don't put 100A breakers on all circuits.  The wiring isn't able to handle it. 

For reference:  on most home circuits,
14 gauge wire is used for up to 15A, which includes most standard receptacles and lights. 
12 gauge wire is used for 20A circuits, which is normally used for kitchen, bathroom, outdoor receptacles, 120-volt air conditioners, ...
10 gauge wire is for 30A circuits, for things like electric clothes dryers, 240-volt window air conditioners, electric water heaters, ...
6 gauge is used for 40-50A circuits, for cooktops and ranges.
4 gauge is used for 60A circuits, for electric furnaces, large electric heaters, ...

Each time you increase the gauge of wire from one to the next larger (smaller gauge number), you almost double the cost of the wire.  Therefore, home circuits normally use only the size wire needed for the circuit breaker installed.  If you replace a 30A breaker with a 40A, it doesn't mean the circuit is safe to operate a 40A combined load.

Long story short, don't take shortcuts.  Run a dedicated 240v circuit for new 240v appliances.  If you can run the wires yourself, that's the hardest part.  You'll also need to make sure there are 2 vacant breaker positions in your breaker box, as 240v circuits work by combining 2 x 120v connections.  If you look at the oven breaker you have now, it should have 2 x 40A or 2 x 50A breakers with the switch levers connected together so you turn both breakers on/off together.  If you don't have 2 vacant 120v breaker slots side-by-side, you might need to rearrange some of the existing breakers or combine low-amp circuits to make room.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Rocky

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2022, 06:40:04 AM »
If your oven uses 50%+ of the available amps available on its 220-240v circuit, you'd be violating the national electrical code by adding another appliance to the same circuit.  Also, if the 2 appliances together need more max amps than the circuit offers, that's an obvious clue you shouldn't be piggybacking on the oven's outlet.

" Use your stove outlet"
which means stove not plugged in.
#focus
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt