Axis deer hunting (Read 5209 times)

Riverinejim

Axis deer hunting
« on: May 16, 2018, 06:38:42 PM »
Anyone hunted axis deer out here? Stationed on Oahu and lookinng for any information or hunting buddies on other islands.

Q

Re: Axis deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 05:07:40 PM »
Anyone hunted axis deer out here? Stationed on Oahu and lookinng for any information or hunting buddies on other islands.

Im new to hunting in Hawaii myself

Based onthe research ive done, you'll need to go to Maui or Lana'i during deer season, potentially Moloka'i if you know someone. Ive been communicating with several people who lodge hunters on Lana'i, so best bet is to ask around and see if you can make connections with people who could accommodate your stay.

If you plan on bow hunting, be prepared for a challenge. All my bow hunter friends claim axis is one of the harder game animals to hunt, though not so bad for rifle hunting.

If you don't have a valid hunter-ed certificate from another state,  you'll need to go through the local hunter-ed program to get one in Hawaii, which will allow you to eventually get a license And buy tags. They offer 2 courses: one is two (5) hour classes, the other is a hybrid of an online course and one five hour class. If you are active duty, I highly suggest taking the hybrid class as it is far more accommodating. Google gohunthawaii and visit the main site for more info.

Also, the classes tend to be booked out well in advance, so you'll likely need to do a walk in or standby. If you do elect to you stand by for a class, it is highly recommended that you show up between 3 and 3:30 p.m. on the day of the class and sign up as a standby. From here, it is highly recommended that you show up 1 hour to one and a half hours before the class and wait in line. Generally they are able to accommodate all standbys, but we almost had to cut several people during my class because they didn't have enough seats.

rklapp

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:12:51 PM »
Alternatively, you could buy a hunting tour for $2000. I've heard there are locals who will dress your kill for you in the field for a modest price. It's practically the only industry allowed on Molokai.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

bass monkey

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 06:12:59 AM »
They run fast
If your not used to shooting at running animals practice skeet and trap shooting
They also have great hearing and can hear you step on branches,  etc
Lastly I would highly suggest shoot for meat first and horn 2nd.
We used to host guys that would watch the pile past and not shoot because there was no bucks,  or only try for the buck and keep missing.  Eventually at the end of their hunt they asking everyone if get extra meat.  Depends on your goals though
Good luck

808Hunta

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 06:50:01 PM »
Aloha Jim,

There are a bit of options for you if you wanna hunt axis here in hawaii.

Lanai's game management ran by Pulama Lana'i is probably your best bet if you want to do a DIY hunt with several options for rifle, muzzleloader or bow.  Let me know if you have any questions I can send you info.

Aloha

P3w_P3w!

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 01:19:52 PM »
I too am extremely interested in Axis deer hunting, but purely from a harvesting standpoint. I'm not really interested in the trophy aspect. This is grocery shopping to me. I am working on getting legal to hunt in HI. Tentatively, I'm scheduled to do the Aug 17/18th class.

It appears Molokai may offer the most flexibility as far as Axis deer hunting:
https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/recreation/hunting/hunt-molokai/

**  Any deer encountered while hunting on a public hunting area on Molokai may be taken by the hunter regardless of number or sex of deer taken.

This would be my first Public Lands hunt in HI, so I don't know the terrain, or "spots" for deer on the respective zones as I'm relegated to Oahu. I'll probably be looking for a Public Lands guide to learn the land.

p3w!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 01:32:39 PM by P3w_P3w! »

Q

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »
I too am extremely interested in Axis deer hunting, but purely from a harvesting standpoint. I'm not really interested in the trophy aspect. This is grocery shopping to me. I am working on getting legal to hunt in HI. Tentatively, I'm scheduled to do the Aug 17/18th class.

It appears Molokai may offer the most flexibility as far as Axis deer hunting:
https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/recreation/hunting/hunt-molokai/

**  Any deer encountered while hunting on a public hunting area on Molokai may be taken by the hunter regardless of number or sex of deer taken.

This would be my first Public Lands hunt in HI, so I don't know the terrain, or "spots" for deer on the respective zones as I'm relegated to Oahu. I'll probably be looking for a Public Lands guide to learn the land.

p3w!

Best to make friends with people from  Moloka'i, as they can inform you of prime spots.

hunta808

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 11:21:32 AM »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:33:14 PM by hunta808 »

RSN172

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 04:50:51 PM »
I grew up on Molokai and when I was in high school in the late ‘60s, I would sell deer and goat to get spending money.  I would sell the whole deer for $10 and goats for $5.  One day I shot 7 deer.  Big money back then.  Haven’t gone hunting since I left and my friends who live there tell me it is not like the old days.  A lot of the places we used to hunt have houses on or nearby.