Flashlights? (Read 21235 times)

808shooter

Re: Flashlights?
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 09:04:02 PM »
Same here went through that.  So far, the AA / AAA Eneloop rechargeables have held up very well btw. No leaking at all, and i leave em in the car hot places etc. I wouldnt get rid of or swear off aa or aaa flashlights

Re. Batteries.
I'm really fed up with alkaline batteries. The Costco AA batteries leak in no time.
So I bought Duracell.  Same thing. Just about everything that I own that uses alkaline batteries has leak damage.
About a year ago I started playing with 18650 and 14500 batteries. So far so good.

BTW my edc light is a little "hausbell" running on a single 14500. I've been using them for over a year.
Quite smàll but very strong light output. Seems very solid.

RSN172

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 10:24:16 PM »
Same here went through that.  So far, the AA / AAA Eneloop rechargeables have held up very well btw. No leaking at all, and i leave em in the car hot places etc. I wouldnt get rid of or swear off aa or aaa flashlights
They all suck compared to 18650s.  Actually, there is no comparison. 

oldfart

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 05:26:10 AM »
My little edc light has a pretty good chip driver that will take one standard 1.5v alkaline or one 3.6v lion 14500.
I wanted a smaller light that clips on to my pants pocket and won't drag my pants down. It's a good compromise of size, weight, power, features and price.
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 01:20:19 PM »
A friend gave me a set of Eneloop AA batteries and charger and they have help up well.  Which reminds me, I need to recharge the set that I have in the light that I have in my car's glove box. 

dv808

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 04:24:25 PM »
Olight lights & batteries.   Many sizes to choose from.  Pretty good prices and will ship w/batteries.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

808shooter

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 07:28:51 PM »
Yea i dont mean that AA flashlights can compare to 18650s, they dont. Im jus sayn dont give up on your AAs jus cuz they leak. I EDC a Thrunite Ti3 and use a AAA eneloop and its been great. 18650 lights are too large to EDC.

A friend gave me a set of Eneloop AA batteries and charger and they have help up well.  Which reminds me, I need to recharge the set that I have in the light that I have in my car's glove box.

drck1000

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 07:03:43 AM »
Yea i dont mean that AA flashlights can compare to 18650s, they dont. Im jus sayn dont give up on your AAs jus cuz they leak. I EDC a Thrunite Ti3 and use a AAA eneloop and its been great. 18650 lights are too large to EDC.
Think you're responding to the wrong person.  I wasn't comparing AA to 18650s nor do I have a problem with AAs that leak (believe that was Rocky).  I mean I've had batteries leak on me, but I don't really hold a grudge against the batteries. 

RSN172

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 06:40:54 PM »

Here is a pretty small 18650 flashlight.

808shooter

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2017, 10:45:55 PM »
They are getting smaller!!
 :geekdanc:

808glocker

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 11:05:43 AM »
Surefire 6P :shaka:

dv808

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2017, 09:53:40 PM »
Olight S2R Baton...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

hepcat96821

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2017, 10:15:02 AM »
One trick I learned about ordering from Amazon...  if there is a kit or flashlight bundle you like, and shipping direct from Amazon is denied, try selecting other sellers of the same product.  Sometimes this works.  Even the products that say "ships and sold by ______ but fulfilled by Amazon" is still covered by prime and will still ship to Hawaii.  Using this method doesn't always work, but it's definitely worth a shot.  I think the company I had the most success with was edisonbright

2ahavvaii

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 08:13:47 AM »
Re. Batteries.
I'm really fed up with alkaline batteries. The Costco AA batteries leak in no time.
So I bought Duracell.  Same thing. Just about everything that I own that uses alkaline batteries has leak damage.
About a year ago I started playing with 18650 and 14500 batteries. So far so good.

BTW my edc light is a little "hausbell" running on a single 14500. I've been using them for over a year.
Quite smàll but very strong light output. Seems very solid.

quality of duracel isn't what it used to be.  Try energizer, they used to be a step behind duracell, but isn't the mess that duracell is nowadays, at least IMO.

oldfart

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 09:40:47 AM »
quality of duracel isn't what it used to be.  Try energizer, they used to be a step behind duracell, but isn't the mess that duracell is nowadays, at least IMO.
Re. My EDC hausbell lights. Update...
They are still working great but apparently some Amazon customers have defective lights so I think quality control is an issue.
I would not buy them for super critical use. Eg. Police or emt
What, Me Worry?

Bota-CS1

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »
All this talk about batteries and hours etc.  Mine runs off recoil.  Tested by a former Army Ranger!

No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

oldfart

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
That's pretty warped
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2017, 07:41:25 AM »
Want some measure of durability of your lights?  Have your friend's kids play with them.   ;D

Seriously though.  When I hang out with a couple of buddies of mine, they have kids and they know I have lights in my car and often ask for them when they play around the house at night.  I have a couple of cheaper lights in the glove box and I let them play with them often.  Well, one of the older boys got the idea of testing one to see how waterproof it was.  He started with some dunks in the cooler.  Later, I found out that it was in there for probably a couple of hours and it worked fine when it came out.  That and they aren't really careful when they play with the lights and it gets tossed around, dropped, etc.  Both have surprisingly held up well. 

Drakiir84

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 09:21:19 AM »
Surefire 6P :shaka:

I've had the same surefire 6p for almost 20 years.  Bought an LED replacement bulb for $10.00 on amazon about 5 years ago.  Most of my weapon lights are Surefire, all of them run on 123A's and I've had a Surefire Titan Plus(AAA) on my key chain since January of 2016, great rugged little light.  Like drck1000 I've got a bunch of cheapy lights scattered around my cars and the house... The wife tells me I have a flashlight fetish. 

Just picked up a HSP Inforce WMLX 400/800 for my primary rifle, would like to take it through a class to see how the new generation holds up, my first gen WML was damaged after one outing to the range...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:51:28 AM by Drakiir84 »
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

2ahavvaii

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 08:09:55 AM »
One trick I learned about ordering from Amazon...  if there is a kit or flashlight bundle you like, and shipping direct from Amazon is denied, try selecting other sellers of the same product.  Sometimes this works.  Even the products that say "ships and sold by ______ but fulfilled by Amazon" is still covered by prime and will still ship to Hawaii.  Using this method doesn't always work, but it's definitely worth a shot.  I think the company I had the most success with was edisonbright

you can also try buying through ebay.   Amazon wouldn't ship the following item to hawaii, but a ebay seller did.  Only cost me $2 more. Tetra Gun Cleaning Pack Limited Edition w/DVD Instructional Video 802iX

A lot of ebay sellers will ship what amazon won't.   I think it's because amazon has sellers categorize their products into certain areas, if it meets certain thresholds or categories, it's auto denied for shipment to hawaii.  I'm pretty damned sure most ebay sellers won't refuse to ship  a flashlight to hawaii.   Super irritating, but that's the shit we deal with, one of the perks of living in hawaii-nei

drck1000

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2017, 07:44:09 AM »
you can also try buying through ebay.   Amazon wouldn't ship the following item to hawaii, but a ebay seller did.  Only cost me $2 more. Tetra Gun Cleaning Pack Limited Edition w/DVD Instructional Video 802iX

A lot of ebay sellers will ship what amazon won't.   I think it's because amazon has sellers categorize their products into certain areas, if it meets certain thresholds or categories, it's auto denied for shipment to hawaii.  I'm pretty damned sure most ebay sellers won't refuse to ship  a flashlight to hawaii.   Super irritating, but that's the shit we deal with, one of the perks of living in hawaii-nei
I've been buying a lot more stuff on eBay lately, particularly for lights.  I just bought an X300 Ultra for a long gun.  I'm getting sick of Amazon's buy, then wait maybe 7-14 days to ship.  While I'm still more wary of counterfeit stuff on eBay, I've found more than a few legit/solid sellers. 

Cost of shipping is a huge pet peeve for me.  With any vendor really.  Midway USA used to have some ridiculous shipping costs, so I stopped even browsing there beyond price checks.  I've heard they have cleaned that up some, but I still don't really shop there.