Survival Food (Read 9580 times)

changemyoil66

Survival Food
« on: November 14, 2019, 10:10:32 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/SOS-Food-Labs-Inc-185000825/dp/B075TXP1P5/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=survival+food&qid=1573762097&sr=8-11

Was checking the dates on my BOB and the one that came with the bag expired 8/19.  So I opened it and tried a bite.  It taste like a shortbread cookie.  But more on the dryer side (sticks to top of mouth a little).  Inside are individually wrapped "cookies" about a little bigger than a box of matches.  Each on is 200 calories.

I only took a bite to sample the flavor.  Don't know if it gives you stuck shit like MRE's.

RSN172

Re: Survival Food
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 11:23:13 AM »
I got about a month supply for 2 people of Mountain House food.  Expires in 2048.   Tried a few.  All were pretty good.

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 11:30:38 AM »
I got about a month supply for 2 people of Mountain House food.  Expires in 2048.   Tried a few.  All were pretty good.

I got those and some MRE's.  Not sure when the MRE's xp, because they dont' have a date on the bag.  Pretty sure they're good until the bag turns dark brown.

I wanted some non-freeze dried food.  I was told by  a hunter that you can just add tap water to the freeze dried stuff and let it soak for an hour or 2.

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 11:36:39 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/SOS-Food-Labs-Inc-185000825/dp/B075TXP1P5/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=survival+food&qid=1573762097&sr=8-11

Was checking the dates on my BOB and the one that came with the bag expired 8/19.  So I opened it and tried a bite.  It taste like a shortbread cookie.  But more on the dryer side (sticks to top of mouth a little).  Inside are individually wrapped "cookies" about a little bigger than a box of matches.  Each on is 200 calories.

I only took a bite to sample the flavor.  Don't know if it gives you stuck shit like MRE's.
I have some of those. A bunch of Mountain House and Wise. Variety is good.

GlockNewb

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 12:48:20 PM »

Got a bit of Mountain House in stock, but gonna pick some of this up since the missus is gluten-sensitive and lactose-intolerant. #damnmillenials
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 12:55:28 PM »

Got a bit of Mountain House in stock, but gonna pick some of this up since the missus is gluten-sensitive and lactose-intolerant. #damnmillenials

Don't wanna mess with that lactose, especially if SHTF, TP will be like gold. :rofl:

GlockNewb

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 02:05:56 PM »
Don't wanna mess with that lactose, especially if SHTF, TP will be like gold. :rofl:

Like the guy on the left :D

"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

zippz

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 02:57:41 PM »
I got those and some MRE's.  Not sure when the MRE's xp, because they dont' have a date on the bag.  Pretty sure they're good until the bag turns dark brown.

I wanted some non-freeze dried food.  I was told by  a hunter that you can just add tap water to the freeze dried stuff and let it soak for an hour or 2.

MREs are safe to eat for a very long time as long as the packaging is intact.  However the food would degrade and may not taste good after an extended period of time.  The heaters also wear out.

The military keeps them for around 3 to 5 years in climate controlled rooms.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 03:00:06 PM »
Rice, dried beans, and sugar are cheap and can last a very long time if you vacuum seal it
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

tillamook

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 07:04:34 PM »
I've been getting a #10 mountain house can from Amazon every 3 months for the past ~10 years.  Started before I moved here for Earthquake prep .   Since they last for ever I should be pretty set when we finally get nuked.

Rocky

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 11:20:23 AM »
I have some of those. A bunch of Mountain House and Wise. Variety is good.
   Ditto, along with some LDS #10 canned and Mylar vacuum sealed goods (beans, rice, oats, flour, sugar, onions, carrots etc..
FYI, the S.O.S bars are about 410 calories each and don't make you thirsty.
They are primarily coconut and soy bean
I like them a lot for the taste, cal count, water proof packaging and shelf life (5 years).

They also make "New Millennium Energy Bars" which are Fruit flavored ( ere-go Millennial) and taste pretty good. Lemon  :D)
Same packaging, shelf life 400 k each.
https://sosfoodlab.com/products/400-kcal-new-millennium-energy-bars/

I gave a case to my then future SIL cuz he needed weight gain to Qualify and these as daily "snacks" helped him gain the weight needed.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 12:42:53 PM »
   Ditto, along with some LDS #10 canned and Mylar vacuum sealed goods (beans, rice, oats, flour, sugar, onions, carrots etc..
FYI, the S.O.S bars are about 410 calories each and don't make you thirsty.
They are primarily coconut and soy bean
I like them a lot for the taste, cal count, water proof packaging and shelf life (5 years).

They also make "New Millennium Energy Bars" which are Fruit flavored ( ere-go Millennial) and taste pretty good. Lemon  :D)
Same packaging, shelf life 400 k each.
https://sosfoodlab.com/products/400-kcal-new-millennium-energy-bars/

I gave a case to my then future SIL cuz he needed weight gain to Qualify and these as daily "snacks" helped him gain the weight needed.

Because the wife and I go to the gym often, bars is what we got tons of also in the house.  It may not be emergency bars shelf life, but have about 2 years or so before they XP.  Also got lots of protein powders, caffeine, creatine, BCAA's, and fat burners.  So if SHTF, everyone's welcome to my place and we can get yok3d out.  Our team will be all swole.

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 08:29:07 PM »
Got these in. The one on the left isnt vacuum sealed. Gonna contact amazon tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 05:33:27 PM »
I survived nearly a whole semester eating those SOS bars for lunch, and boy I saved a bit of money.
Indeed they taste like extra dense shortbread cookies. They will get you by for a while but don't rely on them for the long term especially when it comes to nutrition.

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 09:59:15 AM »
I survived nearly a whole semester eating those SOS bars for lunch, and boy I saved a bit of money.
Indeed they taste like extra dense shortbread cookies. They will get you by for a while but don't rely on them for the long term especially when it comes to nutrition.

How many blocks did you eat for lunch daily?

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2020, 10:13:49 AM »
I only ate those for lunch since my class schedule was around that time.
So maybe a bar or half a bar.

changemyoil66

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2020, 10:38:23 AM »
I only ate those for lunch since my class schedule was around that time.
So maybe a bar or half a bar.

They can be quite filling.  When I was doing my diet, I carried a ziploc bag of tuna that I ate in the back of the classroom.  It stunk up the place.  Then I converted to chicken shakes.  Put Costco canned chicken breast in a blender with water and blend.  Take to go and when you're ready, shake it because it does separate.  Then chug.  50g protein in 3 seconds.

macsak

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 11:05:40 AM »
They can be quite filling.  When I was doing my diet, I carried a ziploc bag of tuna that I ate in the back of the classroom.  It stunk up the place.  Then I converted to chicken shakes.  Put Costco canned chicken breast in a blender with water and blend.  Take to go and when you're ready, shake it because it does separate.  Then chug.  50g protein in 3 seconds.

heads

groveler

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 04:20:02 PM »
Sounds like most the comments here were for snacks.
For bare survival SOLAS stuff is the best.
I'm one of those kind that prep for TEOTWAWKI.
Most guys on this site don't have the land, money, or storage to do that.
If you do, there are lots of good sites out there.
I'd stay away from Mountain brand and the various freeze dried
entrees, they are foul.  I have tried twenty or twenty five entrees and only
found maybe two that were palatable, unless you were starving.
I like MRE's but they are expensive and you can't get the meals you want.
Like the Freeze dried entrees stuff you get a lot of horrible meals and maybe
one or two good ones.

RSN172

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 05:18:21 PM »
I have tried several of the Mountain House food packets and have no complaints as far as taste goes.  This is survival food, not fine dining.  I got enough food in the freezer and pantry to go at least two weeks before I have to hit my survival food stash.  Keep a good supply of coffee, salt and sugar to barter with.