Raise minimum wage, what could go wrong (Read 1094 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Raise minimum wage, what could go wrong
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2024, 09:38:47 AM »
As far as eating out goes, the pandemic and the expansion of public assistance (SNAP/EBT) forced people to either spend even more for delivery/pickup from restaurants or to cook for themselves.

Many people I've talked to now enjoy cooking at home vs. getting take out or sitting down to eat at restaurants.  They discovered food they prepare themselves is better, often healthier (esp. compared to fast food options), and much, much cheaper than eating out.

I would add that to the list of reasons restaurants are seeing a slow-down in revenue.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

zippz

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2024, 10:13:15 AM »
Gotta disagree on that comment.
I find most "disabled" employees in the public work force work very hard and take PRIDE in their job.
Not sure how the charities get underperformers

Underperform as compared to regular able bodied people due to their physical or cognitive disability and the additional supervision that is required.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

astroboy

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2024, 01:12:16 PM »
As far as eating out goes, the pandemic and the expansion of public assistance (SNAP/EBT) forced people to either spend even more for delivery/pickup from restaurants or to cook for themselves.

Many people I've talked to now enjoy cooking at home vs. getting take out or sitting down to eat at restaurants.  They discovered food they prepare themselves is better, often healthier (esp. compared to fast food options), and much, much cheaper than eating out.

I would add that to the list of reasons restaurants are seeing a slow-down in revenue.

Absolutely right. Making your own food can be healthier and/or cheaper. The reason they call much of
the take out foods fast food is that it speeds you to the grave yard.