*UPDATE* HB1541 "Gun Violence Prevention Center" Update 4/28: DEFERRED! (Read 10217 times)

punaperson

Re: HB1541 "Gun Violence Prevention Center" *UPDATE* 4/27 Comm. result?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 05:25:11 PM »
The submitted testimony was:

In Favor: 1 (one) UH Manoa (and they lied about the parameters of the Dickey amendment in their testimony...)

Opposed: 70+

Comment only: 1 (state Department of Budget and Finance pointed out some problems with the funding, etc.)

RESULTS:

3/14/2019   S   The committee(s) on HRE deferred the measure until 03-19-19 3:05PM in conference room 229.

Did anyone attend the meeting/ Could you give us a brief summary of any discussion?  :shaka:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 07:21:06 AM by punaperson »

6716J

The submitted testimony was:

In Favor: 1 (one) UH Manoa (and they lied about the parameters of the Dickey amendment in their testimony...)

Opposed: 70+

Comment only: 1 (state Department of Budget and Finance pointed out some problems with the funding, etc.)

RESULTS:

3/14/2019   S   The committee(s) on HRE deferred the measure until 03-19-19 3:05PM in conference room 229.

Did anyone attend the meeting/ Could you give us a brief summary of any discussion?  :shaka:

So it's gonna pass?  :grrr:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

rpoL98

somebody from Moms Demand Action forgot to send out the email?

punaperson

Decision making meeting only, no oral testimony will be accepted.

Persons wishing to submit written testimony may do so up to 24 hours prior to the hearing.[Due byTuesday April 2, 2019]

COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY

Kenekoa/Senator Karl Rhoads, Luna Ho‘omalu/Chair

Kenekoa/Senator Glenn Wakai, Hope Luna Ho‘omalu/Vice Chair

COMMITTEE ON WAYS AND MEANS

Senator Donovan M. Dela Cruz, Chair

Senator Gilbert S.C. Keith-Agaran, Vice Chair

NOTICE OF DECISION MAKING

Lā / DATE:

Pōʻakolu, ʻApelila 3, 2019 / Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Hola / TIME:

10:00 am

Wahi / PLACE:

Lumi ‘Aha Kūkā 211 / Conference Room 211

HB 1541, HD2, SD1

(SSCR1451)

RELATING TO GUN VIOLENCE PREVENTION.

Establishes the Hawaii Gun Violence Prevention Center within the University of Hawaii to research strategies to prevent gun violence.  Creates a special fund to support the Center.  Appropriates funds.  Effective 7/1/2050.  (SD1)

rklapp

Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

punaperson

Please note that in their prior testimony the UH Manoa people who would be in charge of creating this "research center" lied about the Dickey amendment (or they are abysmally ignorant). Does anyone believe these same people will create any "research" that is unbiased and has any chance at all of factoring in the benefits of firearm use? Or is all "gun violence" just plain bad (ask the woman who defends herself against rape by shooting her rapist)?

Denise Eby Konan, PhD, Dean, College of Social Sciences,  Aviam Soifer, Dean, William S. Richardson School of Law, and Michael Bruno, PhD, Interim Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Vice Chancellor for Research, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa:

"UHM acknowledges that federal funding for research on gun violence has ended since passage of the Dickey Amendment in 1996..."

rpoL98

one of these days, UH is going to offer a mandatory Social Studies course called Gun Violence Prevention, made mandatory by our distinguished legislators, right up there with "Social Justice Activism", and "Immigrant/Refugee" something-or-other.

Mdotweber

My youngest brother attended the UH school of Engineering(non-social ;)). The admin were cutting funding while raising tuition and constantly calling for handouts. I guess they have their priorities straight...
"Dont forget, incoming fire has the right of way"-Clint Smith?

Heavies

Doesn't matter how its said as long as it GETS SAID.

I oppose this measure, as gun violence is a non-issue in Hawaii, except for that of criminals. There is no need for the taxpayer to fund research on ways to deprive citizens of their rights.

Seems there is a common thread in this State, of representatives and senators ignoring the testimony and will of their constituents on many many issues. This need to stop immediately.

I would like to mention and remind you that you take an oath to uphold the constitution of the United States and the State of Hawaii. Your first responsibility is representation of the people. You are our employees, NOT our rulers.

You should monitor public input here and in social media, the publics voice is loud and clear.

I am a voter and I am not being represented.

punaperson

The testimony is up (9:15 AM) for the hearing today. Gifford Law Center To Prevent Gun Violence chimed in for the first time. Otherwise about 4 or 5 individuals for, all the rest of us against.

Here is a sentence from a supporting individual that summarizes the very problem with the "reseearch" that would be done by such a "gun violence" "research" center:

"Every gun-related death is a senseless death that is preventable."

That's what they believe. That's what they want "researched". What could the possible outcome of that research be other than "ban all guns except to government agents" (and maybe not even to most of them)?

So when the cops finally confronted the cop killer here on the Big Island and he started shooting at the cops and they shot back and killed him... that was a "senseless death"?

When a woman stops a rapist attacking her by using a firearm that results in the rapist's death... that's a "senseless death"?

When anyone anywhere at any time uses a firearm and stops a criminal whose behavior results in a reasonable belief that the criminal intends to inflict serious bodily harm and results in the criminal's death, that's a "senseless death"?

Fuck you, you idiot(s). These people are really so fucking stupid they either don't have a clue as to how many people every day short-circuit their own victimization by brandishing a firearm (and very occasionally actually firing it at the criminal), or they have a clue and don't care because they are liars with an agenda that can only be accomplished if they lie to the ignorant masses ("gun violence epidemic", "battlefield weapons of war", etc.). It makes me sick.

Especially because later today "our" legislators will be voting on this and I'm pretty sure I know which camp they are almost all in...  >:(

punaperson

Only Senator Fevella voted NO, as a member of both committees. All others: unanimous consent. The ink probably isn't even dry yet on the check from Bloomberg...

4/3/2019   S   The committee(s) on JDC recommend(s) that the measure be PASSED, UNAMENDED. The votes in JDC were as follows: 4 Aye(s): Senator(s) K. Rhoads, Wakai, Gabbard, Kim; Aye(s) with reservations: none ; 1 No(es): Senator(s) Fevella; and 0 Excused: none.

4/3/2019   S   The committee(s) on WAM recommend(s) that the measure be PASSED, UNAMENDED. The votes in WAM were as follows: 9 Aye(s): Senator(s) Dela Cruz, Keith-Agaran, Inouye, Kanuha, Kidani, Moriwaki, Riviere, Shimabukuro, Taniguchi; Aye(s) with reservations: none ; 1 No(es): Senator(s) Fevella; and 3 Excused: Senator(s) English, Harimoto, K. Kahele.

rpoL98

they just loving it, spending Other Peoples Money.  it ain't their money, they don't care, it's as if it isn't even real money that they're blowing.

punaperson

Anyone know what happened at the conference committee yesterday Friday, April 26 at 5:30 pm?

I mean I know they passed it, probably unanimously, but what were the "amendments"? I saw Dr. Lott yesterday from the NRA convention talking about the hundreds of millions of dollars that Bloomberg, Rand, Joyce, Giffords, et al. are spending to produce fraudulent "research" in order to "prove" that more gun control results in greater "public safety". I'm sure the local statist tyrants want to corner a piece the cash via this UH Manoa fake research "center". It makes me sick... just wondering about the final details... god only knows when the state legislature will actually update their site.

punaperson

Sunday morning, more than 40 hours after the scheduled after-hours Friday conference committee meeting... still nothing on the state website... I guess they can work weekends to fuck us over, but not work to tell us exactly how they fucked us over. Figures. Assholes.

I just sent this email to all the committee members:

The state website still reads as follows on 4/28/19, 40 hours after the meeting:

4/25/2019   H   Bill scheduled for Conference Committee Meeting on Friday, 04-26-19 5:30PM in conference room 016.

Can you please tell me what happened with  HB1541 HD2 SD1 at the conference committee, and when will it be publicly posted?

thank you,

[punaperson]

House Conferees:  Representatives Takayama/C. Lee/Yamashita, Co-Chairs; McDermott

(PVM, JUD, FIN)

Senate Conferees:  Senators Kim, Chair; K. Rhoads/Moriwaki, Co-Chairs; Fevella

(HRE, JDC/WAM)

repmcdermott@Capitol.hawaii.gov, repclee@capitol.hawaii.gov, repyamashita@capitol.hawaii.gov, repmcdermott@Capitol.hawaii.gov, senkim@capitol.hawaii.gov,
senrhoads@capitol.hawaii.gov,
senmoriwaki@capitol.hawaii.gov,
senfevella@capitol.hawaii.gov

punaperson

If I understand "deferred" properly ("not moving on/ended/over")... I guess maybe miracles do happen!

I'd really like to hear the discussion as to how they came to this conclusion, especially considering that it passed all the committees in both houses almost unanimously. Anybody hear it?

Rep. Gregg Takayama <reptakayama@capitol.hawaii.gov> 

Today at 8:59 AM

To   [punaperson]

Message body:

It was deferred.

zippz

Re: *UPDATE* HB1541 "Gun Violence Prevention Center" Update 4/28: DEFERRED!
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2019, 01:56:58 PM »
likely the funding was a problem and there was previous concern about stable and ongoing funding.  The State did not want to fund it so it would be funded through donations, grants, and asset forfeiture.  My guess is HB748 passed and is likely to be signed by the governor which limits assett forfeiture from the current free for all to only property seized in felony convictions.  This would cut funding.  Grants and donations are sporadic and are not a stable source of income.

2 birds killed with one stone.

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=HB&billnumber=748&year=2019
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

rpoL98

gee whiz, I woulda thought that Bloomberg/Soros would gladly pick up the bill, I mean, they got billions and billions to spare, the state should've know they'd only be spending Other Peoples Money.  taxpayers, Bloomberg, Soros, what's the difference, it ain't theirs.  although technically, you'd hope the legislators are taxpayers also.  maybe.

punaperson

gee whiz, I woulda thought that Bloomberg/Soros would gladly pick up the bill, I mean, they got billions and billions to spare, the state should've know they'd only be spending Other Peoples Money.  taxpayers, Bloomberg, Soros, what's the difference, it ain't theirs.  although technically, you'd hope the legislators are taxpayers also.  maybe.
I still haven't gotten any explanation as to WHY the bill was deferred, but if zippz is correct that it was for funding reasons, it's not because there'd be a lack of Bloomberg/Soros/Joyce etc. donors, but because of some technical rules about exactly how the funding has to exist for a UH entity independent of donations. One or two of the submitted testimonies went into a bit of detail about that, but I don't care enough to go look it up. What I do know is that it is 5 days after the conference committee hearing and the state website re that legislation is not updated to show that it was deferred. I bet if it had passed the site would have been updated days ago.

punaperson

Here is the current posting re this bill on the official state website for legislation:

4/25/2019   H   Bill scheduled for Conference Committee Meeting on Friday, 04-26-19 5:30PM in conference room 016.

In other words it's the exact same as it was 10 days ago prior to the meeting, which via private email exchange the chairman of the committee told me it was "deferred".

Anyone else not taking the time to do the email to all the members of the committee would not have any idea what was going on with the bill. Our tax dollars at work, making sure there is transparency and accurate up-to-date information available for all the citizens who are ruled by the elite clowns.

zippz

Story on the assets forfeiture bill which may have killed this bill.  Same story as 2a rights, prosecutors and police ignore due process rights.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2019/05/cops-prosecutors-want-gov-to-veto-seized-property-bill/
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu