Hurricane season (Read 31655 times)

whynow?

Re: Hurricane season
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2015, 06:19:58 PM »
With this guy named Guillermo possibly hitting Hawaii, most people fill up containers with tap water as their main source.
I live in the area that BWS says the aquifer MAY get contaminated from the Red Hill jet fuel leak.  Already received 2 letters from BWS warning of this issue.   If that does happen, getting water from the tap will not be too ono.   Anyway what water filters for your home does 2AHawaii guys recommend?  I'm not knowledgeable about components of JP-8 fuel.

oldfart

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2015, 08:30:29 PM »
I only drink bottled water. A few decades ago we had that heptachlor scare over here in Waipahu.
Tap water here tastes junk. I also run bottled water into the icemaker via a flojet pump.
What, Me Worry?

whynow?

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2015, 09:59:40 PM »
O.F., I guess your bottled water is like the Menehune Water 5 gal.  containers and not the small Costco kind.  Surprizing that BWS has not filtered your tap water better which makes me think that if our aquifer does become contaminated, we might be on our own.  Was hoping they are planning to use some fancy filtration system in case.   This aquifer serves residents from Moanalua to Hawaii Kai, lots of people.
   I have stored tap water in 5 and 10 gal. containers and a 55 gal. container from last August twin hurricane scare.
Most of the water filters sold at stores filter microbial stuff and heavy metals but not sure this is enough for jet fuel.   I also have about 5 cases of old  Costco bottled water which the plastic is already becoming soft.
I may just buy a PUR faucet filter as it's better than nothing.  I have to drain my old stored water early next week and refill.  I mix in a small amount of non-scented Clorox bleach per every 5 gal.
Hope everyone keep on their toes and stay safe next week.

kia_killer

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Now you can have it.
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2015, 10:44:54 PM »
I recommend a Reverse Osmosis filter system to anyone looking for serious water filtration. RO is recommended for filtering radioactive water, so I'd imagine it will handle fuel no problem. I got an RO system when I started saltwater tanks, and now I wouldn't have a home without one. Fairly easy to install and the filtered water is stored in a pressure pot, which is nice incase of emergency. If you have the space for it, I think they make the storage pots up to 120gallons.

whynow?

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2015, 08:37:26 PM »
I recommend a Reverse Osmosis filter system to anyone looking for serious water filtration. RO is recommended for filtering radioactive water, so I'd imagine it will handle fuel no problem. I got an RO system when I started saltwater tanks, and now I wouldn't have a home without one. Fairly easy to install and the filtered water is stored in a pressure pot, which is nice incase of emergency. If you have the space for it, I think they make the storage pots up to 120gallons.

KK, my issue is lack of space under the sink and don't want to cut a hole in granite counter top for the faucet.  If I were to build a custom house, RO would definitely be installed.
Where and how do you have your unit installed and what size tank do you have? 

wirecounter

« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2015, 08:51:40 PM »
With this guy named Guillermo possibly hitting Hawaii, most people fill up containers with tap water as their main source.
I live in the area that BWS says the aquifer MAY get contaminated from the Red Hill jet fuel leak.  Already received 2 letters from BWS warning of this issue.   If that does happen, getting water from the tap will not be too ono.   Anyway what water filters for your home does 2AHawaii guys recommend?  I'm not knowledgeable about components of JP-8 fuel.

Did some Google-fu and found out that my Berkey filter will filter out VOCs including fuel, but didn't specify what type of fuel.  May want to contact them to verify.

I have a Big Berkey and it works great with two filter elements although you can have four.  I also have a Katadyn mini for on the go or bug out, a Steripen, Berkey water filter sports bottle (for on the go & my GHB), and a few Nalgene water bottles.  You can never have too much drinking/potable water as it is the most essential for survival, aside from lead that is . . .  :D

And, I have RO filters for both of my sinks as KK suggested it is the best.  Although, you can make/buy a solar water distiller which is equal to or better than RO.  But, it doesn't have the throughput of the RO.

wirecounter

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2015, 09:17:44 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261744654442?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=560618417718&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A little more expensive than the dustoff's link, but FREE shipping.  Confirmed as I received one this past Saturday & it is the real deal and not a knock off.

These Wavian Jerry Cans are the best!  Buy once cry once. 

It is double the cost of the stupid plastic cans, but: do not have to worry about the plastic deteriorating over time & more importantly - it is completely sealed!  No fumes to worry about, like the stupid plastic "cans." 

Now no need worry about storing in the same metal cabinet with my propane, gun powder, and primers . . .  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously though, these cans will last FOREVER

kia_killer

• Now you can have it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2015, 10:49:24 PM »
KK, my issue is lack of space under the sink and don't want to cut a hole in granite counter top for the faucet.  If I were to build a custom house, RO would definitely be installed.
Where and how do you have your unit installed and what size tank do you have?
Ya, space is usually the problem. My entire system fits under my sink, including the 4 gallon tank, I tee'd off the cold water valve under the sink to supply the RO system. Most systems come with the fittings to make it work, but Home Depot carries everything you would need if not. My dad has a countertop RO system because he didn't have space under the sink, it is compact, but unsightly on the countertop. He ran it without a storage tank and just filled a pitcher for drinking water daily. RO systems filter slowly, so not having a storage tank is annoying since the water tickles out instead of a steady stream. The storage tank will give you a steady stream of water, but slows down as the tank empties. With my 4 gallon tank I can fill 2 gallons of water before I notice the stream slow, then after 15 minutes it's full again.

Q

« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2015, 12:59:06 AM »

Be sure to remineralize.

Both RO and distillation remove essential minerals from the water, making it 'dead'.

Rocky

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2015, 10:58:15 AM »

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=12053.msg115882#msg115882

At home and at our BOL, we have Monolithic brand water filters.
Build a Berkey for about $20.00 plus containers.
I splurged for two new 5 gallon buckets w/lids (another $20.00) but you could mount these puppies on 55 gal bbls if you wanted
http://shop.monolithic.com/
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

whynow?

« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2015, 11:45:43 AM »
Did some Google-fu and found out that my Berkey filter will filter out VOCs including fuel, but didn't specify what type of fuel.  May want to contact them to verify.
I have a Big Berkey and it works great with two filter elements although you can have four.  I also have a Katadyn mini for on the go or bug out, a Steripen, Berkey water filter sports bottle (for on the go & my GHB), and a few Nalgene water bottles.  You can never have too much drinking/potable water as it is the most essential for survival, aside from lead that is . . .  :D
I  have a Big Berkey bought around Y2K time but ashamed to say I've never tested it out with water.  I also have a Sawyer SP181 filter system using a modified 5 gal. bucket but this is mostly for microbial stuff (although I put it toghether, also never tested with water).
Right now for drinking water I use that Brita pitcher.

Wire and Kia:   Approximately how much water is used to produce 1 gal. of treated water?   If your systems have plastic tubing how are they holding up as far as durability.  . 
I'll check more into RO.  What brands do you recommend?

Q:  By remineralize, do you mean to shake it up or add a ionizer? 

BTW, BWS has community section on their site that links to the Red Hill issue.  Worse case scenario is not good for Oahu.  They are saying that contaminants include lead, toluene and naptha.   I don't remember BWS getting that worked up about a issue other than chemicals from sugar fields affecting water in central Oahu back in the 80's.  I e-mailed them today to ask if they can recommend a water filter system for fuel contamination.   Will let everyone know what they say.
Thanks for the discussion.

whynow?

« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »

I splurged for two new 5 gallon buckets w/lids (another $20.00) but you could mount these puppies on 55 gal bbls if you wanted
Will check this out.  Maybe similar to the Sawyer system I have but mine doesn't have ceramic filters like the Mono.
Thanks for the info.

wirecounter

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2015, 01:03:25 PM »

Wire and Kia:   Approximately how much water is used to produce 1 gal. of treated water?   If your systems have plastic tubing how are they holding up as far as durability.  . 
I'll check more into RO.  What brands do you recommend?

The RO system upstairs is over 10 years old & aside from filter replacement it is solid.  The plastic tubing is still in great shape as it is much thicker than the plastic tubing they sell for the water line to the fridge.

The one downstairs is around 5 years old going strong.  Had to replace the old RO system as I could not find one of the filers - discontinued.  >:(

If I recall correctly, the systems' use around 3 gallons to produce 1 gallon of pure water for drinking.

Not sure of the brand, I will check when I get home & post up.

kia_killer

• Now you can have it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2015, 03:56:45 PM »
Haven't replaced a hose or fitting since I put it in about 7 years ago, just replace prefilters yearly and RO membrane every 5. My system is APEC, customer service and quality is good. My dad has a spectrapure low waste system that I believe is 1:1. Mine is somewhere between 2:1 or 3:1 waste/pure. If location permits, you can route the waste water outside to water plants. If you get one make sure is uses 10" filters and 1/4" tubing, that way finding replacement filters/parts is easy since it's mostly standardized.

Q

« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2015, 07:42:45 PM »

Built my own after taking Rocko's advice.

It not only saved me a bunch of cash, but also made me like Rocky after all our heated discussions prior to that :rofl:

Q

« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2015, 07:45:51 PM »

Q:  By remineralize, do you mean to shake it up or add a ionizer? 

I mean add essential minerals to the drinking water itself.

RO works by pushing water through a very fine plastic mesh like material at a high pressure, which in turn traps debris, chemicals and unwanted parasites. However, it also catches many of the essential minerals in the water, making it 'dead water'. Lack of minerals and electrolytes in dead water can result in malnutrition and in some cases dehydration, regardless of how much water you drink.

I use a supplement called concentrace, which is minerals in liquid form. I just add 5-10 drops for every liter of water.

whynow?

« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2015, 07:18:37 AM »
Thanks guys for all the info on RO.  Since I don't want to drill a hole in the granite counter top, I'm thinking of using a substitute 1/4" valve  mounted on a sliding platform inside of the underneath cabinet instead of the spigot.  Slide it out when you need water in a container, then slide it back in.
BTW, BWS reply to me was they cannot recommend any brands and that I should do the research.   That was helpful. 
 Will be researching on the different RO systems.

Rocky

« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2015, 05:30:49 PM »
Built my own after taking Rocko's advice.

It not only saved me a bunch of cash, but also made me like Rocky after all our heated discussions prior to that :rofl:
\

WE'RE NOT DONE YET ! :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  :love:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt