Blood lead levels (Read 8272 times)

zippz

Blood lead levels
« on: March 10, 2018, 09:06:56 AM »
Has anyone gotten their lead levels checked?

I got a lead level check a couple years ago and it was 1 or 2 micrograms which is the average for a normal person.  I thought it would be higher due to shooting, cleaning guns, and reloading.  I admit I slack on hygiene after I do these activities.

Got me wondering from the SWAT range news story if people realize the dangers of high blood lead levels which can lead to memory loss, disabilities, retardation, and other long-term health problems.  I started shooting at Honolulu Firearms indoor range which has a older air ventilation system so wondering if my lead levels may be creeping up.  I took classes in range development which emphasized the potential for lead poisoning and they gave this example of range and construction workers getting very sick.  http://projects.seattletimes.com/2014/loaded-with-lead.  It's a good detailed 5 part story.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 09:24:52 AM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

rklapp

Re: Blood lead levels
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 03:19:40 PM »
No, but I don't cast boolits so haven't seen a need yet. I did use a lead test kit for my reloading surfaces and found no traces. There are significant amounts of lead on the patches after cleaning my Mosin and shooting the cast boolits, but no chunks of lead so the Nox seems to be working.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BK15PU
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Tom_G

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 04:15:43 PM »
Had mine checked in December. It was 7.5 somethings per something, with the normal range being <25 somethings per something. Like you, I'm not remotely paranoid about sanitation at the range.

Since the previous time I had it checked, the state started mandating finger pricks for lead tests. That actually make me ill. I don't do all that great with needles, but can keep it together... but the prick, and the nurse milking the blood from my finger... UGH!!!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Heavies

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 08:04:58 PM »
I get tested yearly for heavy metals for my work.  Never had any problems. Unless you are eating the lead dust you should be fine. Normal hygiene, ie wash your hands, should be fine. 

WTF?Shane

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 08:53:25 PM »
The doc that does our workplace physical said it looked normal.  :thumbsup:

macsak

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 09:12:14 PM »
The doc that does our workplace physical said it looked normal.  :thumbsup:

that's not what she said

2ahavvaii

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 12:11:39 PM »
I lick my boolits before inserting them in the brass, helps  seat better. never had a problem

Inspector

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 07:32:26 PM »
I lick my boolits before inserting them in the brass, helps  seat better. never had a problem
They taste better with flavored lube...  :rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

zippz

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 07:51:54 PM »
I guess lead isn't an issue among frequent and long time shooters.  The danger appears to be around lead dust like sifting the backstops or working at a bad indoor range.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

rklapp

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »
Strawberry flavored Liquinox might be problematic.

Inspector

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 05:10:20 AM »
Strawberry flavored Liquinox might be problematic.
You should try the cherry flavor.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

dustoff003

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 06:20:33 AM »
I should get my levels checked, my place of part time employment had an indoor range before, unmitigated lead contamination has been noted in the building.

rklapp

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »
Routine cleaning and hand-washing should be sufficient to protect against the surface contamination as long as there is no disturbed dust (and you don't lick the walls).

Soleyobo

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 08:34:33 AM »
I just started shooting recently (like two days ago lol) in an indoor range.  Is it safe hygiene practice to change clothes immediately after shooting?  I have an infant son and am trying to be cognizant of not exposing my son to lead poisoning.

rklapp

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 08:44:41 AM »
Infant son, definitely. Children are five times more sensitive to lead than adults, especially infants.

I recently used a surface lead test on the gloves I've been shooting with for the last two years and found trace amounts of lead. A quick wash of the gloves with soapy water and they're as good as new.

My MIL brought back a wooden flute from Jamaica for my son. I used a lead test on it and the paint was lead free, just to make sure.

Drakiir84

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 09:06:52 AM »
If Jerry Miculek doesn't have lead poisoning, then I don't have lead poisoning lol.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 09:21:04 AM »
I just started shooting recently (like two days ago lol) in an indoor range.  Is it safe hygiene practice to change clothes immediately after shooting?  I have an infant son and am trying to be cognizant of not exposing my son to lead poisoning.
That's a good question.

From what I recall from the NRA RSO course, I believe they just recommend washing hands after shooting and before doing stuff like eating or other things where hygiene is important.  I believe same for the guidelines I've seen for military small arms ranges.  However, those are likely considering lead exposure for adults, and not specifically for little ones.  Without looking it up via my reference materials and Google, I would say better safe than sorry.  While indoor ranges are supposed to have sufficient air flow down range do prevent too much exposure to the shooter, I've seen where the air flow has been questionable at best. 

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 09:23:37 AM »
If Jerry Miculek doesn't have lead poisoning, then I don't have lead poisoning lol.
You wish you were able to shoot the volume he does.   ;D

Drakiir84

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2018, 09:24:37 AM »

Personally I would shower before handling him.  My daughter was 7 weeks premature so we were told to take extra precautions with her when it comes to friends that are smokers.  Would make sense to not stuff your baby's face into your clothes, especially shooting at an indoor range.  Better safe than sorry!
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

Drakiir84

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »
You wish you were able to shoot the volume he does.   ;D

You damn right lol.
-Jeff Cooper