Getting and registering a gun in Hawaii (Read 342449 times)

stangzilla

Re: Getting and registering a gun in Hawaii
« Reply #560 on: June 10, 2020, 07:16:54 AM »
I was told five business days when I applied for my permits to acquire last month and in fact there is a paper taped to the window 
that has the "pickup dates" printed on it. It was recommended to me to take a pic of it with my phone.

Craig B

:) :) :)

thanks  :shaka:

found this on HPD website:
There is a 14 day waiting period on all permits. After the 14-day waiting period the permit will be valid for only 6 calendar days. Permits not picked up by the 6th day will be voided. Applicants will need to reapply and go through another 14-day waiting period, so please plan accordingly.

As an option, long-gun applicants may have their processed permits mailed to them. Applicants need to provide a self-addressed pre-paid envelope, certified restricted-delivery return receipt required(available at the U.S. Post Office) at time of application for permit. Long-gun (rifles/shotguns) permits are valid for one (1) year from the date of issue.  Be advised that a handgun (pistols/revolvers) permit is valid for only ten (10) days from the date of issue.

stangzilla

« Reply #561 on: June 10, 2020, 07:22:47 AM »
my friend couldn't get an appt to register until 8 days after apply for permit
so he'll either have to make an extra trip to hpd to pick up the permit then wait another 8 days to register firearm. or have it mailed to him certified mail.
another inconvenience

howzithowzit

« Reply #562 on: July 27, 2020, 02:28:45 PM »
So after getting your permit for a long gun, and you purchase it. Are we not allowed to take it until we get an appointment to register it? Because as of today there aren't any openings for 90 days. Matter of fact they won't even let you schedule beyond that. And with Hawaiis law saying you must register it within 5 days, what do they expect people to do? Pay for it, and cross their fingers they get an appointment within the next 4 months to finally take home their rifle?
Doesn't seem reasonable at all.
I don't want to pick up my rifle, then go register it after finally getting an appointment 100 days later, only to be charged with some bullshit and lose my right to bear arms.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #563 on: July 27, 2020, 02:50:23 PM »
So after getting your permit for a long gun, and you purchase it. Are we not allowed to take it until we get an appointment to register it? Because as of today there aren't any openings for 90 days. Matter of fact they won't even let you schedule beyond that. And with Hawaiis law saying you must register it within 5 days, what do they expect people to do? Pay for it, and cross their fingers they get an appointment within the next 4 months to finally take home their rifle?
Doesn't seem reasonable at all.
I don't want to pick up my rifle, then go register it after finally getting an appointment 100 days later, only to be charged with some bullshit and lose my right to bear arms.

A Permit to Acquire is just that -- a permit to buy and take possession of the firearm.  So, pay the seller, produce your valid long gun permit, and leave the store with your firearm.

Nowhere in the law is firearm acquisition contingent on registration.  The two processes are 100% apart and independent of each other.  An example would be bringing a firearm from out of state.  There's no permit required, only registration.

Once you own/acquire the firearm, then you make the registration appointment.  If you can't get an appointment date within 5 days, that's a state issue. 

Possessing, sighting in and practicing with your new long gun should not be prevented by a registration process that can't follow the same law they expect gun owners to follow.  HI COVID-19 proclamations have waived the registration period without penalty.  Some HPD officer/s has reportedly said you can't take your new gun to the range until it's registered.  Nowhere in the law does it say that, or else it would also apply to the 5 days between normal, pre-pandemic acquisition and registering.  It doesn't.

Do what you want.  It'll be okay whichever way you decide.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

stangzilla

« Reply #564 on: August 20, 2020, 09:10:00 AM »
Now they do a temperature screening before you can do your business. Screening is in the register firearms side. I was 2nd in line for screening, took 9 minutes to do 2 screenings. If the line were longer, wait would be much longer. 4 to 5 minutes per person, filling out paperwork for each screening.
Go early

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #565 on: August 20, 2020, 12:56:13 PM »
Now they do a temperature screening before you can do your business. Screening is in the register firearms side. I was 2nd in line for screening, took 9 minutes to do 2 screenings. If the line were longer, wait would be much longer. 4 to 5 minutes per person, filling out paperwork for each screening.
Go early

Are they screening everyone who enters the building, or only people doing business at the firearms section?

You know why I ask, I'm sure.
-- Melvin Udall

stangzilla

« Reply #566 on: August 20, 2020, 01:00:12 PM »
Are they screening everyone who enters the building, or only people doing business at the firearms section?

You know why I ask, I'm sure.

I think its everyone entering the building

omnigun

« Reply #567 on: October 28, 2020, 01:01:28 PM »
I have a question a friend asked and I didn't know the answer. When you get your permit do you need to keep the whole sheet with your ssn and crap or can you just have the bottom part.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #568 on: October 28, 2020, 01:14:52 PM »
I have a question a friend asked and I didn't know the answer. When you get your permit do you need to keep the whole sheet with your ssn and crap or can you just have the bottom part.

This thread is about registration.  The permit is a separate process and piece of paper.

All remaining copies of the permit get handed in to the HPD firearms office after the LGS or private seller signs and takes their one copy.

The only form HPD gives you to keep is the original registration form.  They keep the other copies. 

So, if you really want a copy of the permit, scan/Xerox it or take a picture on your cell phone.
-- Melvin Udall

omnigun

« Reply #569 on: October 28, 2020, 01:31:52 PM »
This thread is about registration.  The permit is a separate process and piece of paper.

All remaining copies of the permit get handed in to the HPD firearms office after the LGS or private seller signs and takes their one copy.

The only form HPD gives you to keep is the original registration form.  They keep the other copies. 

So, if you really want a copy of the permit, scan/Xerox it or take a picture on your cell phone.

I'm talking about long gun permit.  They give a sheet that lasts a year. 

macsak

« Reply #570 on: October 28, 2020, 01:36:56 PM »

"asking for a friend"

ren

« Reply #571 on: October 28, 2020, 01:37:37 PM »
register this....
Deeds Not Words

DocMercy

« Reply #572 on: February 12, 2022, 05:45:30 PM »
The Request for (Medical) Information consists of these 3 questions to your doctor:

Based on your records, is the Applicant a person who:
1. Is or has been under treatment  of counseling for addiction to, abuse or dependence upon any dangerous, harmful, or detrimental drug, intoxicating compound as defined in Hawaii Revised Statutes Section 71201240, or intoxicating liquor?
2. Is of has been  diagnosed as having significant behavioral, emotional, or mental disorder, as defined by the most current diagnostic manual of the American Psychiatric Association?
3. Is or has been under treatment for organic brain syndrome?

This is up-to-date as of early Jan. 2022. DSM-5 is the latest handbook of psychiatric disorders. Besides your current physician, the RFI can be sent to any medical facility in the state that HPD wishes to contact. How did I get a hold of the official questionnaire? It was kindly provided to me by my physician.

Downfall

« Reply #573 on: July 30, 2022, 09:42:53 AM »
Does anyone know what we put down for the medical form if we have Kaiser, last I remember kaiser doesn't sign off on anything related to firearms?
I got the yellow form and white form,

Thank you

dogman

« Reply #574 on: July 30, 2022, 05:58:54 PM »
Does anyone know what we put down for the medical form if we have Kaiser, last I remember kaiser doesn't sign off on anything related to firearms?
I got the yellow form and white form,

Thank you
All I know is that HPD has a Kaiser specific form and a Straub specific form to fill out. I have Straub so I can't say what happens with Kaiser.

Cucuchicuu

« Reply #575 on: November 13, 2023, 01:43:49 PM »
Just called HPD (1ish) to ask about the status of my emailed PTA since today is the first day it would be available. I was told, depending on the workload, that I could possibly expect it maybe by Wed or Thurs.

Is this proper procedure?

changemyoil66

« Reply #576 on: November 13, 2023, 02:01:22 PM »
Just called HPD (1ish) to ask about the status of my emailed PTA since today is the first day it would be available. I was told, depending on the workload, that I could possibly expect it maybe by Wed or Thurs.

Is this proper procedure?

Yes, because HPD is slow.

Ksekiya

Selling a firearm to private individual
« Reply #577 on: November 22, 2023, 02:32:57 PM »
What do I need to do while selling a firearm to a private individual?

Do I need to do anything with HPD after I sell my handgun?

Mahalo

dogman

Re: Selling a firearm to private individual
« Reply #578 on: November 22, 2023, 10:36:24 PM »
What do I need to do while selling a firearm to a private individual?
Do I need to do anything with HPD after I sell my handgun?
Mahalo
If the buyer provides you with the permit to acquire, specific to your handgun, from HPD and registers the hand gun, you do not need to do anything else.

stangzilla

« Reply #579 on: November 23, 2023, 12:38:41 AM »
After buyer gets the PTA, seller needs to sign the PTA
Then buyer goes back to HPD with the gun to register