Medical Kits - What's In Yours? Where Do You Buy Supplies? (Read 21934 times)

London808

Re: Medical Kits - What's In Yours? Where Do You Buy Supplies?
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 11:52:50 AM »
Did you pick that up as a kit? Or ordered a bunch of individual items?

When I was first looking for kits, many had lots of good stuff, but almost all of the kits I was interested either had 1-2 items I didn't want or need or was missing something. The missing part wasn't a big deal as always can supplement. Many kits available are less than getting individual items.  Now that I have built a number of different kits, I plan to rotate stuff here and there and now have a good amount of online vendors to get those items from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its a kit, Has some BS items in it like the techniques and para cord but for the price i was willing to get it. everything is dated a couple of years out. was $38 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122234508949?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 11:56:33 AM »
Do the Syringes come with needles, or not?

:shaka:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

London808

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 01:40:30 PM »
Do the Syringes come with needles, or not?

:shaka:

Yes.

the 2 on the left are saline for irigation, The 2 on the right (in paper packets) have the needles in a pack on top of them.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

drck1000

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 08:20:59 AM »
its a kit, Has some BS items in it like the techniques and para cord but for the price i was willing to get it. everything is dated a couple of years out. was $38 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/122234508949?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
That's cool.  I've been more leery of buying med stuff on eBay or even Amazon due to risk of poor quality stuff here and there.  I've luckily found a few online vendors that have been recommended by EMT and medic friends.  Pretty good prices for the most part, so that's good.  But buying med stuff, especially if you're just starting and putting something together can be expensive as well as time consuming trying to find all the components you need or even want. 

London808

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 01:08:28 PM »
That's cool.  I've been more leery of buying med stuff on eBay or even Amazon due to risk of poor quality stuff here and there.  I've luckily found a few online vendors that have been recommended by EMT and medic friends.  Pretty good prices for the most part, so that's good.  But buying med stuff, especially if you're just starting and putting something together can be expensive as well as time consuming trying to find all the components you need or even want.

Just have understand what you buy. If what your buying (like CAT's) is the in thing then people are going to make fakes, hell even the company's that make the originals cut corners and compromise quality for profit.

Best way to work it on Ebay is look for people selling 1 type of item and not a wish wash of everything.  If a guy makes all his money selling med supplies hes not going to screw you becasue the feedback will kill him.

But the guys selling cheap everything's, usually are just mass buying crap from china to resell at a bucks profit.

drck1000

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 01:23:12 PM »
Just have understand what you buy. If what your buying (like CAT's) is the in thing then people are going to make fakes, hell even the company's that make the originals cut corners and compromise quality for profit.

Best way to work it on Ebay is look for people selling 1 type of item and not a wish wash of everything.  If a guy makes all his money selling med supplies hes not going to screw you becasue the feedback will kill him.

But the guys selling cheap everything's, usually are just mass buying crap from china to resell at a bucks profit.
Yeah. I hear you.  Even my EMT/medic friends have advised on stuff to look for.  CAGE, NSN, etc codes.  Even then, people can post whatever they want.  I hear what you're saying about finding the "good" vendors.  Just so many and so many different products that I was looking for that I decided to just bite the bullet a bit and go with reputable vendors.  That's also kind of why I started this thread.  To build a list of reputable vendors and that includes eBay people. 

I've bought a number of lights on eBay recently and have found excellent vendors and I noticed the key you mentioned about sort of a specialty supply being true.  It's just for medical supplies, I didn't want to take that chance with what I bought recently.  Now that I have built up the various kits that I had in mind, now I can resupply here and there and search for items here and items there. 

London808

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 02:05:56 PM »
yeah that first buy can be a doozie.

When i pull out my big box i will get some photos of the stuff i keep on hand.

I tend to buy in bulk and sotr it away unless its meds and such with an expatriation. I make smaller grab and go kits that i vacume seal and keep on hand.

changemyoil66

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 10:09:29 AM »
I just added some packing gauze about 12 feet worth.  Might add a scissors also.

zippz

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 04:39:38 PM »
I was considering buying Nasopharyngeal airways which I got trained with in the army.  My father had complications from throat surgery last week where his throat swelled up and he could barely breath.  Fortunately the doctor ordered him to stay a couple hours later than normal for observation after the surgery and was able to insert a breathing tube.  If he had gone home on time, he could have died from suffocation. 
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 07:55:56 AM »
I was considering buying Nasopharyngeal airways which I got trained with in the army.  My father had complications from throat surgery last week where his throat swelled up and he could barely breath.  Fortunately the doctor ordered him to stay a couple hours later than normal for observation after the surgery and was able to insert a breathing tube.  If he had gone home on time, he could have died from suffocation.
Damn.  Sounds like a close call.  Hope your pops is doing better!   :thumbsup:

drck1000

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2017, 07:57:43 AM »
Have had a bunch of different EMT and medic buddies look over my kits and so far mostly "passing".  They each had some tips on organization and prioritization, but the contents selected seemed good to go.  Added some minor stuff like more plain square gauze for "light/general" use as well as seemingly coming in handy for other more, uh, intense situations. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2017, 08:52:07 AM »
Have had a bunch of different EMT and medic buddies look over my kits and so far mostly "passing".  They each had some tips on organization and prioritization, but the contents selected seemed good to go.  Added some minor stuff like more plain square gauze for "light/general" use as well as seemingly coming in handy for other more, uh, intense situations.

I had a thought that the IFAK will be basically used to prevent blood loss because I am not in the bush and fire/EMT will be accessible.  So a TQ would be the most valuable tool in the kit due to death from blood loss can be minutes.  This concept in mind keeps me from adding everything plus the kitchen sink in my kit.

drck1000

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2017, 08:57:31 AM »
I had a thought that the IFAK will be basically used to prevent blood loss because I am not in the bush and fire/EMT will be accessible.  So a TQ would be the most valuable tool in the kit due to death from blood loss can be minutes.  This concept in mind keeps me from adding everything plus the kitchen sink in my kit.
Depends what the use is.  I have IFAK for range and stuff, but I also put together med kits for my car and work bag that are meant for a wider range of stuff.  From small cuts and scraps, vehicle accident, etc.  I also have stuff in some kits that I am not the best trained for (came with kits), but my thinking is it's better to have it available for someone who is trained to use.  TQs are an important part of all the kits.

Regarding use, that's very much personal.  Realize that it can take a while for fire/EMT to reach you, even in urban locations.

changemyoil66

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2017, 10:11:06 AM »
Depends what the use is.  I have IFAK for range and stuff, but I also put together med kits for my car and work bag that are meant for a wider range of stuff.  From small cuts and scraps, vehicle accident, etc.  I also have stuff in some kits that I am not the best trained for (came with kits), but my thinking is it's better to have it available for someone who is trained to use.  TQs are an important part of all the kits.

Regarding use, that's very much personal.  Realize that it can take a while for fire/EMT to reach you, even in urban locations.

I wish there were classes offered to teach civilians how to use this stuff. 

drck1000

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2017, 10:14:59 AM »
I wish there were classes offered to teach civilians how to use this stuff.
Locally, there are only some CC type stuff. 

I know of classes available on the mainland (TCCC and the like) that are offered for civilians.  Get enough commitment, I know of at least one that would do the class here, but it's not cheap. 

zippz

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2017, 12:31:54 PM »
Kmcocepts had some first aid classes.  My friend teaches outdoor survival aid classes here.   Forgot what the school was called.  Im sure red cross and KCC must have more advanced programs.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

London808

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2017, 01:08:47 PM »
Kmcocepts had some first aid classes.  My friend teaches outdoor survival aid classes here.   Forgot what the school was called.  Im sure red cross and KCC must have more advanced programs.

KCC offers an EMT certificate, Costs around $4500. Ive been looking at it for a while, trying to justify the cost with the wife.

https://www.kapiolani.hawaii.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/EMT-Admissions-and-Advising2017.pdf

drck1000

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2017, 01:33:51 PM »
KCC offers an EMT certificate, Costs around $4500. Ive been looking at it for a while, trying to justify the cost with the wife.

https://www.kapiolani.hawaii.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/EMT-Admissions-and-Advising2017.pdf
That's the class that I was thinking about.  An EMT friend suggested taking that one. 

London808

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »
That's the class that I was thinking about.  An EMT friend suggested taking that one.

The problem is you need all the prerequisites AND they have to decide to take you. You have an oral interview and basically they decide if they want to have you on the course.

drck1000

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2017, 02:27:36 PM »
The problem is you need all the prerequisites AND they have to decide to take you. You have an oral interview and basically they decide if they want to have you on the course.
Yeah, it was described as more of a program than just a single course.  The time and money commitment for me was too much.  At least right now.