Gun Registration @ HPD (Read 15690 times)

OctopusEater

Re: Gun Registration @ HPD
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2021, 05:05:30 PM »
It's my understanding PTA is ONLY Tuesday and Thurday.  The last time i pulled a PTA, i was number 48 of 50.  I arrived at 0630.  Wow.  Last thursday i did a gun Registration.  Arrived a little after 6AM  I was number 2.

Aloha!

Brian

Thanks!

QUIETShooter

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2021, 05:38:34 PM »
Is there a separate line for PTA? What’s the latest I can arrive and still make it? Thanks.

If you go for a PTA on M-W-F, they form a "standby line".  In case there is a cancellation or no show,  those in the standby line can then take those time slots.

If you go on a Tues/Thurs., a walk in line forms prior to 7am.  At 7am they will start giving out time slots to the first 50 people in line.  My experience is you have to go early on these days.  I started lining up at 5:30 am and ended up #10 in line.  I showed up previously at 6:40 am and couldn't get a time slot because they only take 50 people a day. 

And yes, whatever day you go, it is best to ask those in line to confirm which line is registration and which line is PTA.  They will form 2 separate lines.

My experiences were when they first started the PTA walk-ins the week of 8/10.  Lots of people showed up and only the really early arrivals were serviced.  Not sure if the lines eased up a bit.

My advice based on my experience is if you really want a PTA, go on a Tues/Thurs. and go really early (5:00 to:530 am).  It's a pain in the ass but it is the reality I experienced.

Going for a PTA on M-W-F is a crapshoot.  It's a standby line and priority will be given to those who made appointments first, then standby next.

I don't know if M-W-F is better for PTA.  I do know Tues./Thurs. was a madhouse.

Maybe someone who did the standby line can shed better light on this?

Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

kptheplatypus

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2021, 09:14:48 PM »
Ask if the 5-day registration period is being enforced, or if the COVID proclamation that waived it is still being followed.

:shaka:

Granted it was 2 months ago, but when I registered my pistol they told me that the 5 day period is suspended due to COVID but to try to get in as soon as I can so it gets done
“Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

~ An armed society is a polite society

omnigun

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2021, 06:30:12 AM »
If you go for a PTA on M-W-F, they form a "standby line".  In case there is a cancellation or no show,  those in the standby line can then take those time slots.

If you go on a Tues/Thurs., a walk in line forms prior to 7am.  At 7am they will start giving out time slots to the first 50 people in line.  My experience is you have to go early on these days.  I started lining up at 5:30 am and ended up #10 in line.  I showed up previously at 6:40 am and couldn't get a time slot because they only take 50 people a day. 

And yes, whatever day you go, it is best to ask those in line to confirm which line is registration and which line is PTA.  They will form 2 separate lines.

My experiences were when they first started the PTA walk-ins the week of 8/10.  Lots of people showed up and only the really early arrivals were serviced.  Not sure if the lines eased up a bit.

My advice based on my experience is if you really want a PTA, go on a Tues/Thurs. and go really early (5:00 to:530 am).  It's a pain in the ass but it is the reality I experienced.

Going for a PTA on M-W-F is a crapshoot.  It's a standby line and priority will be given to those who made appointments first, then standby next.

I don't know if M-W-F is better for PTA.  I do know Tues./Thurs. was a madhouse.

Maybe someone who did the standby line can shed better light on this?

HPD site says not allowed to line up before 7am. So I'm guessing that's not enforced?

pacwire

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2021, 06:43:34 AM »
Not enforced  been there 2x since the change

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

macsak

« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2021, 07:41:59 AM »
line was past the elevators at 6:40 am this morning

drck1000

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2021, 08:22:43 AM »
line was past the elevators at 6:40 am this morning
Was past there at 0620 ish this morning. . .  :(

QUIETShooter

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2021, 09:29:43 AM »
HPD site says not allowed to line up before 7am. So I'm guessing that's not enforced?
n

It's a gray area that they seem to tolerate.  Many people start showing up from 5am forward.  They put a sign about 10 ft. away from the concrete wall that abuts the building itself.  The line starts there and I guess theoretically the line isn't being formed in front of HPD.  The line has been known to grow past the elevator of the underground parking structure before 6:30 am.

Every once in a while they come out and remind people to social distance and not get too close to each other.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

DEROS

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2021, 11:40:01 AM »
n

It's a gray area that they seem to tolerate.  Many people start showing up from 5am forward.  They put a sign about 10 ft. away from the concrete wall that abuts the building itself.  The line starts there and I guess theoretically the line isn't being formed in front of HPD.  The line has been known to grow past the elevator of the underground parking structure before 6:30 am.

Every once in a while they come out and remind people to social distance and not get too close to each other.
There is no line.  Just disciplined like minded citizen visiting their local public police department.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pukas84

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2021, 10:19:14 AM »
Got to the police headquarters this morning around 8:15.  Got number 19, from 12:00 on was open.  This was to register.

pacwire

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2021, 08:03:58 AM »
Wanted to Share my results @ HPD this Morning Sept 2nd

Arrived 5:54AM

Got a PTA for return @ 11:10AM

Also Registering a Handgun:  Got that one @ 10:30

so far a good day!

Aloha!

macsak

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2021, 09:18:39 AM »
i passed by later today than tuesday
was probably closer to 7 am
i waved (black brz)
line was further past the elevators than tuesday...

Wanted to Share my results @ HPD this Morning Sept 2nd

Arrived 5:54AM

Got a PTA for return @ 11:10AM

Also Registering a Handgun:  Got that one @ 10:30

so far a good day!

Aloha!

Phazuka

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2021, 03:18:47 PM »
I went to register on Monday and was told their system was "down" and to come back another day... anyone else experience this?
I went that same Monday and the system was down.  They took my Permit to Acquire and signed the back.  I went back and the day was fully booked and told to come back the next day.  Then I tried again this week and got a high lotto number and I couldn't wait to sign the registration on the touch screen.  I'll try one more time tomorrow, Friday before labor đay weekend.....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OctopusEater

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2021, 03:03:57 AM »
Anyone know if the vaccine mandate/restrictions going into effect on sept 13th will affect those trying to get pta or Register their guns?

stangzilla

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2021, 09:06:57 AM »
I went that same Monday and the system was down.  They took my Permit to Acquire and signed the back.  I went back and the day was fully booked and told to come back the next day.  Then I tried again this week and got a high lotto number and I couldn't wait to sign the registration on the touch screen.  I'll try one more time tomorrow, Friday before labor đay weekend.....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Their system "goes down" quite often lately

toku58

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2021, 09:28:57 AM »
Isn’t this discrimination against people who live outside of town?  Geographically the people who live in town have an advantage?  Something needs to be done about this.
They make it almost impossible to be a law abiding person!

DocMercy

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2021, 10:20:04 AM »
Saw another 2ahawaii member who needed to get something done at HPD asap. Arriving before 6 AM improves your odds considerably. As others have noted, the line will go past the first sprinkler by 0650. I saw a nice looking woman in the middle of the line. Could she be an Olympic shooter?  ;) I was thinking about trading my #1 spot in the line for her secret tips.

There were special forms for people using Kaiser or Straub. I did not peruse the bins. Hope the language is clarified to deal with legalities.

The office that does applications for permits is still quoting 6 calendar days to pick up the permit. Under worst case conditions, only 3 days may be available to accomplish this, when the period overlaps a three day weekend.

Here is some info we need to add to the general FAQ.

What if you need to go to the bathroom before 0815?
What is the least expensive place to park? (No garages are open before 0600).
Should you bring your own chair if you queue up very early? I would say yes to that.
Has anyone picked up the permit and registered a weapon in the same day?
Is the Tuesday that follows a Monday holiday the worst time to visit HPD for gun related processing, or is Black Friday the worst day?

drck1000

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2021, 10:56:08 AM »
Saw another 2ahawaii member who needed to get something done at HPD asap. Arriving before 6 AM improves your odds considerably. As others have noted, the line will go past the first sprinkler by 0650. I saw a nice looking woman in the middle of the line. Could she be an Olympic shooter? ;) I was thinking about trading my #1 spot in the line for her secret tips.

SNIP
"Just the tip"?  ;D

toku58

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2021, 12:07:01 PM »
So picked up my permit at 9am went to SE and picked up my pistol at 10am. Went back to the Sation and waited in line for 20 min. And got it done.  Seems local registration is faster than out of state.  But that still sucks! They need to provide free parking for this BS!  Waiting in line and worrying if your meter will expire is BS!

DocMercy

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2021, 12:27:31 PM »
Here is some info we need to add to the general FAQ.

What if you need to go to the bathroom before 0815?
Answer: As long as there is a cop by the booth near the pedestrian entrance/scanner, you can use one of two bathrooms, female or unisex. It is to the left of the cop. Opens nominally around 0745.

What is the least expensive place to park?
Answer: Level P3 below HPD, and the Civic Center Municipal Parking Lot (S Beretania entrance past Alapai) seem to offer parking that early or earlier, with no money needed in the meter, until the posted enforcement period (after 8:30AM, check the signs) begins. P3 requires 25 cents every 10 minutes, with a max parking time of 3 hours. That adds up to $4.50 according to my calculator. The Insurance garage (SP+) at 850 S Beretania will charge you $18 for three hours. It is entered from the south, not the north. Dr. Pake (me) has parked as far away as Young St for free. But, the walk is long and only recommended if you are really cheap.

Has anyone picked up the permit and registered a weapon in the same day?
Yes. It has happened. Vibes are very important. Sometimes, life depends on luck.