CCI Small Rifle Magnum Primer in 9mm Findings (Read 1769 times)

jase90

CCI Small Rifle Magnum Primer in 9mm Findings
« on: September 12, 2021, 11:12:46 AM »
With the primer shortage going on I'm pretty sure one can't be too picky with what primers you use now days. I figured I post my results with what discovered incase anyone else was curious.

1) Glock 19 Gen 5 w/ OEM 5.5# (24 Newton) Stock Factory Striker Spring:
Roughly 50% ignition success. Strikes on primers that were set off were extremely shallow.

2) Glock 19 Gen 5 w/ Glock OEM "Red Striker Spring," 6.29# (28 Newton):
Roughly 90% ignition success. It was roughly about 1 out of ever 10 rounds fired I had a light primer strike. Strikes on primers  that were set off were deeper but not deep like a stock weight factory striker spring on a regular small pistol primer.

3) Glock 19 Gen 5 w/ OEM "Blue Striker Spring," 7# (31 Newton): 100% ignition success. Primer indents look just like how a factory weight spring would imprint on a small pistol primer.

4) Beretta M9A3 w/ factory hammer spring. Don't know the weight of hammer spring:
Roughly 80% ignition success. Primers that were set off had shallow indents.

5) SIG P365 w/ factory striker spring. Don't know the weight of the striker spring:
Roughly 50% ignition success. I'm not even sure if SIG or the aftermarket offers heavier striker springs for this handgun. At least from what I researched. Couldn't find any.

So from what I found it looks like I will only be using my Glocks with the 7# (31 Newton) striker spring for these particular primers in 9mm. Unless I want to practice a boat load of malfunction drills lol.

Hope you guys found this useful.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 11:02:10 AM by jase90 »

Lihikai

Re: Small Rifle Magnum Primer in 9mm Findings
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 11:52:14 AM »
Good info.  Did you try firing the duds a second time? 

jase90

Re: Small Rifle Magnum Primer in 9mm Findings
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 12:46:04 PM »
Good info.  Did you try firing the duds a second time?

Hit or miss with the duds. Sometimes they would ignite after a second, third, fourth strike. Some of them would just not let off at all. Even the Beretta with the double action going at it constantly wouldn't set off a particular round.

The Blue Striker Spring for the Glock was able to ignite the duds the underpowered springs, Beretta and Sig couldn't though. I'm gonna look into a heavier mainspring for the Beretta. As for the P365, I couldn't find any aftermarket heavy striker springs for it. Hopefully the aftermarket will catch up for the SIG for stronger striker springs.

drck1000

Re: CCI Small Rifle Magnum Primer in 9mm Findings
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 12:01:12 PM »
1) Glock 19 Gen 5 w/ OEM 5.5# (24 Newton) Stock Factory Striker Spring:
Roughly 50% ignition success. Strikes on primers that were set off were extremely shallow.

2) Glock 19 Gen 5 w/ Glock OEM "Red Striker Spring," 6.29# (28 Newton):
Roughly 90% ignition success. It was roughly about 1 out of ever 10 rounds fired I had a light primer strike. Strikes on primers  that were set off were deeper but not deep like a stock weight factory striker spring on a regular small pistol primer.

3) Glock 19 Gen 5 w/ OEM "Blue Striker Spring," 7# (31 Newton): 100% ignition success. Primer indents look just like how a factory weight spring would imprint on a small pistol primer.
I found those interesting.  I saw some folks testing SPP and SPmagP and seemed like factory springs were same.  Interesting test on the SRmagP.  I would think that SRP in general would command a premium compared to SPP, but testing you can see. 

I know some PCCs are more reliable with harder primers, but that was with older surplus ammo where we noticed harder primers.

jase90

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 05:13:20 AM »
I found those interesting.  I saw some folks testing SPP and SPmagP and seemed like factory springs were same.  Interesting test on the SRmagP.  I would think that SRP in general would command a premium compared to SPP, but testing you can see. 

I know some PCCs are more reliable with harder primers, but that was with older surplus ammo where we noticed harder primers.

I would like to try this test again with CCI SPMP and SRP. I've seen the videos on YouTube of folks setting off those primers consistently with stock springs. Which makes me wonder how much thicker or denser the the SRMP is. I haven't researched it or found the urge to measure it myself.

Also from what I read from other forums but never verified for myself is that CCI is one of the more "tougher" primers to set off across the board. Maybe is if I tried SRMP in a different brand I might get away with stock springs or lighter than the heaviest springs to ignite a round. If I ever try it out I'll post the results.

I'm only buying whatever the gun stores have available lol. Like I said, I'm not being picky in today's age. 7 months on a waiting list  :grrr:

stangzilla

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 07:21:06 AM »

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 07:26:11 AM »
I would like to try this test again with CCI SPMP and SRP. I've seen the videos on YouTube of folks setting off those primers consistently with stock springs. Which makes me wonder how much thicker or denser the the SRMP is. I haven't researched it or found the urge to measure it myself.

Also from what I read from other forums but never verified for myself is that CCI is one of the more "tougher" primers to set off across the board. Maybe is if I tried SRMP in a different brand I might get away with stock springs or lighter than the heaviest springs to ignite a round. If I ever try it out I'll post the results.

I'm only buying whatever the gun stores have available lol. Like I said, I'm not being picky in today's age. 7 months on a waiting list  :grrr:
You should consider posting for trade opportunities. For a while, I was looking for SRP, mag or reg.  I have both SPP and SPMP.  Both CCi incidentally.  That said, I would be willing to bet that there are others that likely would be willing to trade. 

jase90

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 05:24:20 AM »
You should consider posting for trade opportunities. For a while, I was looking for SRP, mag or reg.  I have both SPP and SPMP.  Both CCi incidentally.  That said, I would be willing to bet that there are others that likely would be willing to trade.

Hmmm, was that an indirect way of asking me if you would like to trade? Haha. I traded a few thousand with my coworker this weekend for Federal SPMP. But I have A-LOT of these primers to trade out. I know all my guns with stock springs ignite Federal SPMP reliably. I would like to test and see if they will do the same with CCI SPMP and SRP. Lmk if you would be willing to trade a brick.