Mayor Blangiardi The Hypocrite (Read 7659 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Mayor Blangiardi The Hypocrite
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2021, 08:40:04 AM »
Have not noticed much of a lockdown.
I've been going shooting at khsc almost every weekend for the last few years.
City is restarting parks dept classes
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/09/18/tai-chi-archery-city-resume-parks-recreation-classes-oahu-residents/
Daughter goes to college classes and works part time in Waikiki. She says the place is busy all day long.

You're lucky.  For us, we travel 2x a year.  But due to Taiwans lockdown, we were unable to go.  So then we would usually go to Vegas 2x a year.  But due having to test before returning home, we didn't. Because we test positive, then we have to stay up there for min 10 more days.  Which would cost thousands.  But what about coming back without testing and just quarantining for 10 days (sarcastic voice), that's an option.  NO it's not because I cannot take 3 weeks off from work.  So not being able to travel freely, really sucks.  But now that I'm vaxxed, I can. That was until my work now requires a negative test 3 days after landing.  Which means we would have to cut our vacation short from 8 days to 4-5 days, knowing that I cannot come into the office yet.  Already had 1 coworker test positive after landing.  She's been out at least 4 weeks now, which includes the 1 week she was in Portland.  We need to renew our CCW, so a 3-4 day trip to Vegas is being planned. Prob around Thanksgiving, that way we come back the day b4 and I have the min 3 days to test.

Other than that, it's not that much of an interruption of our daily lives, we choose not to dine in and go to BBQ's anyways.  But now with this vaxx passport, even though vaxxed, I do not agree with it at all.

drck1000

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2021, 11:34:29 AM »
Just saw the video on Info Wars today... what an asshole. "Rules for thee but not for me"

https://www.banned.video/watch?id=6147fcaaaf548d0d63f29ac7

Go to 59:53
That commentary was a bit extreme and yeah, I get for views/hits/etc.  If one (anyone really) is not following the restrictions that they put forth, then one is a hypocrite.  Are people reacting harshly?  Yes.  Are they overreacting?  Maybe, but that's not for me to judge.  That said, and my point is if you break the rules, face the consequences. In this case, backlash from the community.  Is it some smear campaign like Cec Heftel back in the day?  I dunno, but wasn't my point (that ending part wasn't meant for you in particular poke). 

https://www.oneoahu.org/reopening-strategy

ren

« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2021, 11:38:22 AM »
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2021, 11:50:45 AM »
[snipped] ...
That said, and my point is if you break the rules, face the consequences. In this case, backlash from the community.
... [snipped more]

IMO, community backlash is not the only consequence I'd expect. Public officials who do wrong deserve that even if they avoid punitive actions.

If you or I were to do the same thing, or try to, what would be the consequences?

Would the venue manager turn away everyone who exceeded the limit of attendees?

Would the group be asked to leave if they exceeded the limit after the manager tells them they are breaking the rules?

Would the Cops be called?

Would the manager/owner be fined for breaking the rules?  Issued a summons to appear in front of a judge?

Whatever the prescribed punishments are for someone who knowingly and willingly violates COVID rules -- that's the appropriate consequence.  As the person who signed the order to enact the rules, arguing he didn't know would be dishonest.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2021, 12:06:22 PM »
IMO, community backlash is not the only consequence I'd expect. Public officials who do wrong deserve that even if they avoid punitive actions.

If you or I were to do the same thing, or try to, what would be the consequences?

Would the venue manager turn away everyone who exceeded the limit of attendees?

Would the group be asked to leave if they exceeded the limit after the manager tells them they are breaking the rules?

Would the Cops be called?

Would the manager/owner be fined for breaking the rules?  Issued a summons to appear in front of a judge?

Whatever the prescribed punishments are for someone who knowingly and willingly violates COVID rules -- that's the appropriate consequence.  As the person who signed the order to enact the rules, arguing he didn't know would be dishonest.
Didn't think about it that deeply (to be honest).  If you or I would do the same?  I would say up to us to weigh the risks/consequences and act accordingly.  In that case, I wouldn't expect the venue to turn them away, report, etc.  Personally, I'm not for heavy handed consequences.  That he had a party of 23 isn't that big a deal, at least not the point I was getting at.  It was his reaction, as well as others that have been surfacing on him.  I tried to find some that I could post, but couldn't.  Yet. 

Are those videos biased?  I bet.  I'm not that naive to believe everything I see on the web/social media.  That said, another side point was why aren't those instances getting coverage locally?  :hmm:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2021, 12:16:14 PM »
Didn't think about it that deeply (to be honest).  If you or I would do the same?  I would say up to us to weigh the risks/consequences and act accordingly.  In that case, I wouldn't expect the venue to turn them away, report, etc.  Personally, I'm not for heavy handed consequences.  That he had a party of 23 isn't that big a deal, at least not the point I was getting at.  It was his reaction, as well as others that have been surfacing on him.  I tried to find some that I could post, but couldn't.  Yet. 

Are those videos biased?  I bet.  I'm not that naive to believe everything I see on the web/social media.  That said, another side point was why aren't those instances getting coverage locally?  :hmm:

Is it possible the mayor and the media are scratching each others backs, being that he's a long-time player in that industry?
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2021, 12:19:37 PM »
Is it possible the mayor and the media are scratching each others backs, being that he's a long-time player in that industry?
What?!?!

No way hose A. . .

[sarcasm\]

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was "wandering" about.  Maybe not scratching each others backs, although highly possible or even probable.  Could be any range of explanations.  Just observing that coverage isn't there.  May very well be that the media did their due diligence and found the "reports" to be unfounded.  That hasn't stopped them in other instances, but I digress. . .

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2021, 12:25:58 PM »
What?!?!

No way hose A. . .

[sarcasm\]

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was "wandering" about.  Maybe not scratching each others backs, although highly possible or even probable.  Could be any range of explanations.  Just observing that coverage isn't there.  May very well be that the media did their due diligence and found the "reports" to be unfounded.  That hasn't stopped them in other instances, but I digress. . .

If the local news media wanted to be professional, they could have aired the story's highlights, then included comments from the mayor, his staff, etc. -- assuming they found the reports to be unfounded.

That would not only be covering a story of public interest, but also help the public understand when most are stumbling upon online.  If they stay silent, we only get the "unfounded" side of the story.

I think the news media has a duty to inform the public whenever an event like this happens.  They need to do the research they are paying their staff to do and give us the full story.

I think professional reports have become lazy.  They can no longer be first with the big exclusive, so they spend their time browsing the Web. 
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2021, 12:30:07 PM »
If the local news media wanted to be professional, they could have aired the story's highlights, then included comments from the mayor, his staff, etc. -- assuming they found the reports to be unfounded.

That would not only be covering a story of public interest, but also help the public understand when most are stumbling upon online.  If they stay silent, we only get the "unfounded" side of the story.

I think the news media has a duty to inform the public whenever an event like this happens.  They need to do the research they are paying their staff to do and give us the full story.

I think professional reports have become lazy.  They can no longer be first with the big exclusive, so they spend their time browsing the Web.
I agree.  Seems more about (and IMO has long been) being first to break a story, facts be damned.  Saw is especially with active shooter or other "tragedies".  Yeah, different context, but still interesting.  At least to me. 

I don't disagree with you BTW (on the other stuff). 

ren

Deeds Not Words

QUIETShooter

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2021, 06:18:53 AM »
After being called out for violating his own mandates, Mayor Rick Blangiardi has declared the restrictions he just violated recently will be extended to October 19th.

An amazing, unbelievable, depressing, and saddening situation all rolled into one.  Lots of people are becoming numb to what is happening all around us.

But there is still a bunch of us out there, holding on to hope and change for the good, who are suffering the pain of death by a thousand cuts.......one by one, the gov't is relentless.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2021, 10:19:07 PM »
If you watch the video he was trying to explain that the restaurant was at less than 50 percent capacity and they were……….
I’m thinking he was gonna say following the rules.
Was he and his party ? Probably not.

Be careful of editing though. Goes for a lot of the videos posted on this forum.
Surprised he stopped to talk.

Good points to stop and think about. I don't know him personally but one thing I liked was that he didn't come from the politician world.

Every once in a while I have had to deal with a person who doesn't really want an answer to their question, they just want to argue and make it look good for themselves. And for these people it isn't hard to make an exaggerated claim or post a picture without context.

I would not envy the position he is in, really damned if he does, damned if he doesn't type of situation with covid.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2021, 10:07:37 AM »
I still think the The birthday party at the restaurant was wrong for him to attend.  He should have known better and not attend.

I have a feeling he didn't think there were people out there waiting for him to slip up.  Because there is no reason to think Mayor Rick didn't know that what he was doing was wrong.

He knew and he got caught.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 01:55:50 PM by QUIETShooter »

hvybarrels

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2021, 12:45:41 PM »
see what you guys did....
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/09/21/live-honolulus-mayor-discuss-changes-gathering-rules-tier-system/

Vague enough for whatever they feel like.

It's a permanent crisis to exploit, just like the war on terror.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2021, 01:55:26 PM »
I still think the The birthday party at the restaurant was wrong for him to attend.  He should have known better and not attend.

I have a feeling he didn't think there were people out there waiting for him to slip up.  Because there is no reason to think Mayor Rick didn't know what he was doing was wrong.

He knew and he got caught.

Yep.  Birthday parties are not the same as a Holiday get-together.  They were there to give gifts to and make nice speeches about an individual.  It would be on that individual (The Mayor) to step up and request that he not be the reason for people gathering -- even if it's a "legal" size group.

It seems to be a very selfish act, given the party was in his honor.  It's likely the main reason he's defensive.  He can't legitimately blame anyone but himself.

Birthdays to do not require a party with lots of friends.  If the friends did it as a surprise, he still could have told his friends ahead of time he doesn't want a party, and that the reasons are complicated by his government position.  They would have found another way to celebrate, I'm sure.

Such a major blunder precipitated by such a minor cause -- and totally avoidable.
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2021, 02:06:27 PM »

Birthdays to do not require a party with lots of friends.  If the friends did it as a surprise, he still could have told his friends ahead of time he doesn't want a party, and that the reasons are complicated by his government position.  They would have found another way to celebrate, I'm sure.

Maybe it was a surprise, but his friends also think the rules don't apply to them.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2021, 02:13:18 PM »
Yep.  Birthday parties are not the same as a Holiday get-together.  They were there to give gifts to and make nice speeches about an individual.  It would be on that individual (The Mayor) to step up and request that he not be the reason for people gathering -- even if it's a "legal" size group.

It seems to be a very selfish act, given the party was in his honor.  It's likely the main reason he's defensive.  He can't legitimately blame anyone but himself.

Such a major blunder precipitated by such a minor cause -- and totally avoidable.

You brought up a good point about it might have been a surprise party he was unaware of.  It is a possibility that escaped me which might exonerate Rick to some degree.

However, the prudent thing in that scenario is to thank everyone involved, then excuse himself and explain why he is excusing himself.  Then if confronted by anyone outside after leaving he can say he had no knowledge of the event and did the next best thing.

But to me it looked like he got caught with his pants down, unfortunately.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2021, 02:18:49 PM »
Maybe it was a surprise, but his friends also think the rules don't apply to them.

Yeah, these kinds of incidents make me think that while government officials are "talking the talk" they are winking to their friends on the side.

changemyoil66

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2021, 02:20:44 PM »
Yeah, these kinds of incidents make me think that while government officials are "talking the talk" they are winking to their friends on the side.

I mean vid of DOCTOR Green eating also same thing. Did he enforce that his friends weren't wearing a mask as they were not eating and hugging instead?  No he didn't.

And if it was a surprise and I was the attendee, I would understand if Rick said he has to leave and stuff like that.

aieahound

« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2021, 02:32:16 PM »
I had a friend who held his kids grad party.
Less than 50% capacity at the restaurant and no more than ten at a table. (Each “party”.)
What did he violate exactly ?

I’m not defending him or saying he didn’t set a bad example.
Just seeing where this crucifixation is coming from.
(No I didn’t spell it wrong.)

If you got the money there is work arounds.

Green. Whole new game. In my mind.
Just cause I’m not a fan of the guy, which is to say I can’t stand the guy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 02:37:35 PM by aieahound »