Oahu Hog Hunting (Read 2438 times)

bs63366

Oahu Hog Hunting
« on: December 24, 2018, 06:27:15 PM »
I am just getting everything together and looking to get started hunting here on Oahu.  I am looking at trying out the Ewa Forest Preserve that I believe is zone "C" if I remember right.  The question that I have is most of that area that I have seen from doing the Mañana Ridge Trail and the Waimano Trail are that the entire areas are either up or down.  What is the best way to work this area?  I am new to this type of hunting, been mainly white tail hunting out of stands in Missouri and Georgia before here so open to any pointers.  Not looking for secret spots or anything, but rather just a good way to get started, I'm willing to put in the time on my own, just kinda lost on where to begin.  Also, looking at going to the DLNR office in the beginning of the year to talk with them and pic their brains as well.  Thanks for any help that you guys can offer.

Q

Re: Oahu Hog Hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 07:09:44 PM »
I am just getting everything together and looking to get started hunting here on Oahu.  I am looking at trying out the Ewa Forest Preserve that I believe is zone "C" if I remember right.  The question that I have is most of that area that I have seen from doing the Mañana Ridge Trail and the Waimano Trail are that the entire areas are either up or down.  What is the best way to work this area?  I am new to this type of hunting, been mainly white tail hunting out of stands in Missouri and Georgia before here so open to any pointers.  Not looking for secret spots or anything, but rather just a good way to get started, I'm willing to put in the time on my own, just kinda lost on where to begin.  Also, looking at going to the DLNR office in the beginning of the year to talk with them and pic their brains as well.  Thanks for any help that you guys can offer.

Bait multiple times during the week at a specific location later than a time you plan to arrive on the day of the hunt, get to your spot early on the day of the hunt, wait; Easiest way to start as a beginner.

If baiting,  Common sour corn recipes work well. I pack in gallon ziplock bags that i can put in my pack to not litter. This is far more successful that spotting and stalking, at least as a beginner.

If you can't bait, its all luck of the draw. Public grounds are always harder,  as the pigs are aware that they are being hunted,  and they hunker down after first contact.

You can also read the topo maps and work the low depression areas. I have experienced better results working valley floors and lower elevations than on contours, but I'm new myself and inexperienced.

Also,  contact 308gunner. I learned a lot of tips from him, and he has a wealth of experience.

bass monkey

Re: Oahu Hog Hunting
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 08:40:51 AM »
Its just like hunting for white tail.
All animals need the same things in life,  food,  water and shelter
Spend time scouting,  finding trails,  where they bed down,  where the water is at.