First 1911 in 45 (Read 74886 times)

robtmc

Re: First 1911 in 45
« Reply #740 on: October 17, 2022, 07:12:12 PM »
Imagine him dealing with a full length guide rod.

macsak

« Reply #741 on: October 17, 2022, 07:22:28 PM »
i think his wife will tell you that will not be an issue...

changemyoil66

« Reply #742 on: October 17, 2022, 08:38:15 PM »
i think his wife will tell you that will not be an issue...
Asian head

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Heavies

« Reply #743 on: October 19, 2022, 05:50:48 AM »
Da kine lah dat kine ting

Heavies

« Reply #744 on: October 19, 2022, 05:59:50 AM »
Never could understand why one would not clean and lube their firearms. See so much “influencers” post I pulled it straight out of the box and proceeded to fire X amount of rounds…..   

Would you buy a tens of thousands of dollar car then proceed to run 100 1/4 mile drag runs without changing the oil or doing any maintenance? Then when the engine is shot, declare “this vehicle is no good, not reliable, the engine blew”

If a clean, lubed, and maintained weapon can’t finish a mag of hollow points, I think, would be a more valid and useful data point for the reliability and durability of a weapon.

I was always taught to keep my stuff as clean as possible.

robtmc

« Reply #745 on: October 19, 2022, 08:54:36 AM »
Never could understand why one would not clean and lube their firearms. See so much “influencers” post I pulled it straight out of the box and proceeded to fire X amount of rounds…..   

The difference between those trained by the military on using and maintaining your weapon
vs.
Those using social media for guidance and advice

Manual transmissions vs. automatics when it comes to firearms..

drck1000

« Reply #746 on: October 19, 2022, 09:03:28 AM »
"you'll shoot your eye our kid"  ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #747 on: October 19, 2022, 09:29:07 AM »

Would you buy a tens of thousands of dollar car then proceed to run 100 1/4 mile drag runs without changing the oil or doing any maintenance? Then when the engine is shot, declare “this vehicle is no good, not reliable, the engine blew”

If a clean, lubed, and maintained weapon can’t finish a mag of hollow points, I think, would be a more valid and useful data point for the reliability and durability of a weapon.

I was always taught to keep my stuff as clean as possible.

1911 type car, need to change my oil (pun intended) every 5 drags.  Striker fire car, need to CMO once a year.

Bota-CS1

« Reply #748 on: October 19, 2022, 10:50:26 AM »
Never could understand why one would not clean and lube their firearms.

*Mk14 EBR has entered the chat*
*National Match M1A has entered the chat*

No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

drck1000

« Reply #749 on: October 21, 2022, 11:12:44 AM »
1911 type car, need to change my oil (pun intended) every 5 drags.  Striker fire car, need to CMO once a year.

There are different grades or "levels" of 1911.  Like Mustangs. . . base, Cobra, Saleen. . . not equal  ;D

For your example, I think tolerance and acceptable or needed slop can help or at least be a factor.  Like how the FAL (or maybe was another gun) that has grooves in bolt carrier to help when crap is in the action, like sand.

I personally don't do torture tests on my guns.  Lately, I go longer between cleanings because A) I shoot much less in a given range day and B) busy.  It is good to know if there are points when firearms start to have trouble without maintenance.  Lots of folks did it on Glocks and ARs.  Seeing a lot more of that as I got more into bolt action prevision rifles, but different issues and impacts. 

WTF?Shane

« Reply #750 on: October 21, 2022, 12:58:26 PM »
I thought one of the reasons of the loose tolerances of the M45A1 was to grunt proof it. You should be good on it not being clean or properly lubed for a while.

changemyoil66

« Reply #751 on: October 21, 2022, 01:41:52 PM »
I thought one of the reasons of the loose tolerances of the M45A1 was to grunt proof it. You should be good on it not being clean or properly lubed for a while.

Bruh, you should see how soldiers assembled the P320 incorrectly.  It's not PFC proof.

drck1000

« Reply #752 on: October 21, 2022, 01:49:33 PM »
Bruh, you should see how soldiers assembled the P320 incorrectly.  It's not PFC proof.
Remind me to tell you the story of the E1 and use of epoxy for construction. . .

Just when you think they couldn't possibly mess something up. . .

changemyoil66

« Reply #753 on: October 24, 2022, 09:30:27 AM »
Forgot to add instead of using oil, I'm trying grease. Since IDK when I will get to shoot her next, oil does dry and grease doesn't.  I'm using some grease that Mrs. CMO got for free at her Girl and a Gun Event in Colorado last year. I forgot what it's called, but eh grease is grease and it should be fine since it's just for storage.  It's blue and came in a white syringe type applicator.

Rocky

« Reply #754 on: October 24, 2022, 10:03:03 AM »
Forgot to add instead of using oil, I'm trying grease. Since IDK when I will get to shoot her next, oil does dry and grease doesn't.  I'm using some grease that Mrs. CMO got for free at her Girl and a Gun Event in Colorado last year. I forgot what it's called, but eh grease is grease and it should be fine since it's just for storage.  It's blue and came in a white syringe type applicator.
White lithium grease
excellent adhesion to metal
metal on metal or metal on plastic.
water resistance and capable of withstanding very high temperatures and has a drip temperature of approximately 200° Celsius.
non-corrosive
does not break down under heavy loads
White lithium grease has zinc-oxide added to it.

Your AR will also  :love : it
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #755 on: October 24, 2022, 10:15:29 AM »

That's what I was gonna do next, is use grease on the rifles since they too are sitting for an unknown amount of time. and the rest of the pistols.

robtmc

« Reply #756 on: October 24, 2022, 10:31:53 AM »
White lithium grease has zinc-oxide added to it.

Think I used to smear that on my nose at the beach when I was a kid, the white zinc oxide that is.

drck1000

« Reply #757 on: October 25, 2022, 01:05:47 PM »
LMK if you want to try some Lucas Oil lithium grease.  I have a tube that I don't use.

I used TW25B on my bolt guns, as well as some other ones that I used to use, so I have plenty.  I almost never shoot my 1911s. . .

changemyoil66

« Reply #758 on: October 25, 2022, 01:30:53 PM »
LMK if you want to try some Lucas Oil lithium grease.  I have a tube that I don't use.

I used TW25B on my bolt guns, as well as some other ones that I used to use, so I have plenty.  I almost never shoot my 1911s. . .

I have not dived into the greased rabbit hole. But I can imagine it's like gun oil. 40 diff oil brands and if you talk to 10 people, you will get 7 different answers to which is the best.  Is this true? 

For gun oil, I use Breakthrough:

https://www.breakthroughclean.com/breakthrough-clean-technologies-battle-born-hp-pro-lubricant-protectant-2oz-bottle-w-needle-tip-applicator-clear

Only cause I use their cleaner because Ballistol smells like shit.  I stumbled on to them because KM Concepts sold it at the time and I wanted to support a friends business.  So I then looked into what else they sell and got this because of the needle tip.  It makes it easier to apply, the regular oil doesn't have a needle tip and a little messier to apply.

I did notice with the FDE coating, that it absorbes the oil, there's an oil stain that shows for a little bit, then goes away once it dries out.  Compared to a black VP9, when excess oil is on it, it just "pools".

Heavies

« Reply #759 on: October 26, 2022, 05:17:30 AM »
The old adage was “if it slides grease it, and if it rotates oil it.”

Don’t know how valid that is. Usually I grease sliding parts on my Garand, pump gun, bolt gun, etc.  never tried on my auto pistols.
Use sparingly though, unless you want grease all over when In operation