.22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations (Read 73304 times)

stangzilla

Re: .22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2021, 02:18:45 PM »
https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/models.html

iirc, all the modern Ruger bolt actions are based off the Ruger American bolt action.  the bolt and the receiver are very similar in all of them.  stocks, chasis, Ruger has many different models to choose from.  their bolt actions has grown in the past few years

many have got great accuracy from the Ruger american bolt actions.  for the money, they are all very accurate.  i have 3 of them, all very accurate.  getting more and more aftermarket parts for them

stangzilla

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2021, 02:23:18 PM »
You have one?  Like it? 

Been researching the Savage BA offerings.  I had been looking at the Mark II, which seems like starting at $249 MSRP.  They have a lot more models than I recall though.

i don't have that one, i have this one
https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfire/specSheets/8334.html

changed to Boyd's wood stock, competition muzzle brake. it has a "heavier" barrel with a slick blued finish.  it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like a Precision rimfire, but mine shoots very accurate.  even the regular American bolt action has an adjustable 3-5lbs trigger which is very good for a stock trigger
you probably want something higher end than what i got

these target models are nice too

aieahound

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2021, 02:26:27 PM »
O.F.
Set it up !

.22lr + .45 day.  :D
I got a Savage Mark II BV laminate stock bolt gun I really enjoy and a PSA dedicated upper which is suprisingly accurate and reliable.
Friend got the Ruger and it drives tacks. Really nice factory trigger.

drck1000

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2021, 02:38:31 PM »
i don't have that one, i have this one
https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfire/specSheets/8334.html

changed to Boyd's wood stock, competition muzzle brake. it has a "heavier" barrel with a slick blued finish.  it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like a Precision rimfire, but mine shoots very accurate.  even the regular American bolt action has an adjustable 3-5lbs trigger which is very good for a stock trigger
you probably want something higher end than what i got

these target models are nice too
That's nice! 

Question though.  With all of those upgrades, is there another model that is closer to what you want? 

Reason I ask is that for centerfire, I always assumed I would upgrade.  I was told along the way would've been better to start custom.  That said, that's with the knowledge I now have from shooting the basic rifle first.  So I don't think I could've gotten around it. Well, maybe a custom gun to start with, but I wouldn't really have an idea of what I liked or didn't like at the time. 

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 02:42:59 PM »
O.F.
Set it up !

.22lr + .45 day.  :D
I got a Savage Mark II BV laminate stock bolt gun I really enjoy and a PSA dedicated upper which is suprisingly accurate and reliable.
Friend got the Ruger and it drives tacks. Really nice factory trigger.
Cool, but Inspector not going to be there to "back you up" on the competition.   ;D

Ocean19

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2021, 02:51:16 PM »
The vudoo or rimx is similar to a rem700 or clone action.

I shot 2 vudoo’s and man their sweet and hella accurate with CCI standard velocity.

Can even put an MPA chassis on it.

Just talking about it the black hole is getting deeper and deeper….

Don’t forget to install a lamp post of a barrel to reduce the harmonics….

You can always get a tuner, I’ve seen a lot of 22lr guys at the range with tuners….

Harrell’s tuner
EC tuner

If you buy one for every bolt action maybe you can get a discount

ren

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2021, 02:53:03 PM »
For the price, the RPRR can't be beat.  HI price was just under $500 and mainland was like high $300s.  This was preCV.  Plus looks tacticool.  Scary black.

Cheap and keeps up with tac drivers .Had a guy next to me with a magpul backpack 10/22. His grouping was like shotgun at 50 yards.  IDk the power, but prob 8x at the most. Looked like 1 of those cheap scopes that came with a rifle kind.

If you do jump down the rabbit hole, then KIDD build will run you about $1100 minus scope.  Anschulz is forgetaboutit.  Or if you really wanna get serious, build a trainer in a copy like your centerfire. Get 1 guy always at the range who has a 22 cloned to his centerfire. His looks like it cost thousands.

Same guy who has a Mk18 clone has a M40 clone built off a Rem 40X.
Then there's my CLE .22 upper
Deeds Not Words

Ocean19

.22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2021, 02:57:41 PM »
Dammit. . . who asked you. . .  ;D

A few of those YTers that I mentioned above have that (or similar) trainer setup with the same chassis, and I think glass, as their centerfire rigs. . . So the same setup, just in .22 lr.  I am trying to avoid that, but maybe inevitable.  Don't fight going to the dark side. . .

Overall, I think the .308 and 6.5 will keep me well occupied.  I hope
All the money spent on custom rifles and scopes you could buy a Mercedes or BMW…

CZ 457 chassis model doesn’t look too bad. No where near the rem700 clone feeling but should be accurate enough.

PS forget the 22 go 6BR 

stangzilla

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2021, 03:18:58 PM »
That's nice! 

Question though.  With all of those upgrades, is there another model that is closer to what you want? 

Reason I ask is that for centerfire, I always assumed I would upgrade.  I was told along the way would've been better to start custom.  That said, that's with the knowledge I now have from shooting the basic rifle first.  So I don't think I could've gotten around it. Well, maybe a custom gun to start with, but I wouldn't really have an idea of what I liked or didn't like at the time.

when i got the Ruger 22 bolt action, i wanted a practice gun for my American 308, and the 22 bolt action was very similar to the 308 when they were both factory stock
since then i put a Magpul hunter stock on the 308 and a Boyds wood stock on the 22.  i was very new to the bolt action platform, and i still am bc i dont shoot very much bolt action 308, but i do shoot much more with my 22 bolt action bc ammo is much cheaper
I'm not much of a precision shooter, so for now both those rifles suit me well......for now

changemyoil66

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2021, 03:22:48 PM »
Carefull with boyd. They no pay shipping if need to return. Mrs.cmo purple stock arrived blue. Told camera changes the color. Had to pay return shipping.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

stangzilla

Tacozfail

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2021, 07:56:14 PM »
Lots of good info here.

Been looking myself and was looking at the CZ 457 AT ONE or the Tikka T1x.  Both in that midrange and supposedly shoot better than I can.  Haven’t seen anyone mention it yet.  I was planning to eventually get a T3x so thought the T1x would be a good trainer but who knows.

The more I read and research the more I realize like everything else, this is going to cost me, a lot, hehe.

Looking forward to seeing what you get.  I’m also following your 6.5 CM adventures, gotta live through you for right now. 

drck1000

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2021, 08:41:23 PM »
All the money spent on custom rifles and scopes you could buy a Mercedes or BMW…

CZ 457 chassis model doesn’t look too bad. No where near the rem700 clone feeling but should be accurate enough.

PS forget the 22 go 6BR 
I could get a few more custom rifles with TT or ZComp glass for that amount. 

I was looking into the CZ offerings.  I know a couple of folks who have them, but never shot them. 

I’ll wait to see how your adventures with 6 BR goes first.   ;D

drck1000

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2021, 08:43:40 PM »
when i got the Ruger 22 bolt action, i wanted a practice gun for my American 308, and the 22 bolt action was very similar to the 308 when they were both factory stock
since then i put a Magpul hunter stock on the 308 and a Boyds wood stock on the 22.  i was very new to the bolt action platform, and i still am bc i dont shoot very much bolt action 308, but i do shoot much more with my 22 bolt action bc ammo is much cheaper
I'm not much of a precision shooter, so for now both those rifles suit me well......for now
Key words are “for now”.  I started with a decent stock rifle with the intent to shoot it for a while, then get into reloading, and then customize.  I did the reloading and customizing the stock gun, then head first into full on custom rifle.  I’m still new to reloading and precision rifle shooting, but have been encouraged by the progress I’ve made so far.  Been lucky to have folks to show me the ropes and not just learn form YouTube. 

drck1000

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2021, 08:45:45 PM »
Lots of good info here.

Been looking myself and was looking at the CZ 457 AT ONE or the Tikka T1x.  Both in that midrange and supposedly shoot better than I can.  Haven’t seen anyone mention it yet.  I was planning to eventually get a T3x so thought the T1x would be a good trainer but who knows.

The more I read and research the more I realize like everything else, this is going to cost me, a lot, hehe.

Looking forward to seeing what you get.  I’m also following your 6.5 CM adventures, gotta live through you for right now.
Haha.  Glad to have folks live vicariously through me.  I’ve heard good things about Tikka centerfire.  Yeah, I certainly wanted to start slow and work my way up in the .308 and 6.5 CM, but that didn’t quite work out that way.  My intent is to stay more basic with the .22lr.  At least the plan. . .

Bushido

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2021, 08:17:46 PM »
best trigger on a .22 in my opinion. Or if you can find a Win 52 or Rem 40x - they are cheaper but the best I think is Anschutz

Winchester 52 if your budget allows. You really need to be 100% realistic in your accuracy expectations. What one may call accurate, another may spit on. What is your realistic budget on ammunition? Shooting CCI SV will only take you so far. Lapua Center X is probably a good choice for most rifles.

drck1000

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2021, 10:39:23 PM »
Winchester 52 if your budget allows. You really need to be 100% realistic in your accuracy expectations. What one may call accurate, another may spit on. What is your realistic budget on ammunition? Shooting CCI SV will only take you so far. Lapua Center X is probably a good choice for most rifles.
Not expecting much for accuracy.  For this gun, it’s a plinking gun to have fun with inexpensive ammo, at least compared to centerfire.  I do see value in putting together a trainer setup for my centerfire rifles, but focusing on centerfire for precision setups.  At least for now in terms of time and money.  Will I eventually wade into the higher precision world of .22 lr?  Maybe, but not really looking to or expecting that for this go around.

Bushido

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2021, 05:55:57 PM »
Not expecting much for accuracy.  For this gun, it’s a plinking gun to have fun with inexpensive ammo, at least compared to centerfire.  I do see value in putting together a trainer setup for my centerfire rifles, but focusing on centerfire for precision setups.  At least for now in terms of time and money.  Will I eventually wade into the higher precision world of .22 lr?  Maybe, but not really looking to or expecting that for this go around.

That being said I would look into Tikka, CZ and Savages for BA. They are all proven, affordable and will shoot good (MOAish). 22lr trainers are excellent practice for centerfire. They will show all your flaws that sometimes centerfires can mask especially when shooting 100y with them

Bushido

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2021, 06:17:37 PM »
Same guy who has a Mk18 clone has a M40 clone built off a Rem 40X.
Then there's my CLE .22 upper

He has a MK18 clone? What barrel? I'm guessing he pinned and welded a faux supressor to get the 10ish barrel to 16? That guys has too much money  ;D ;D ;D

drck1000

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2021, 07:04:47 PM »
That being said I would look into Tikka, CZ and Savages for BA. They are all proven, affordable and will shoot good (MOAish). 22lr trainers are excellent practice for centerfire. They will show all your flaws that sometimes centerfires can mask especially when shooting 100y with them
I’ve been looking at the Savages for a while. Heard about CZ’s but never shot them.  Are any of the above available regularly at LGSs?  I mean I can go and shop around, but just wondering.  No need to show more flaws.  I am sure I have plenty.   ;D

That said, the magnifying of things to .22 lr shooting is something that does interest me.  I mean I can certainly afford to venture into the deeper end for ,22 lr rifles, but trying to ease into it a bit more.