.22 lr Ammo Thread - What have you tried? What are your faves? (Read 12247 times)

drck1000

Re: .22 lr Ammo Thread - What have you tried? What are your faves?
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2022, 07:24:01 PM »
Kaleoarms shipment is due in HNL on June 6th.

I've been waiting for my bricks.
Cool. I have more Eley Match on the way, but mostly looking forward to some match 6.5 that I’ve been waiting to test.

macsak

« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2022, 08:42:05 PM »
Cool. I have more Eley Match on the way, but mostly looking forward to some match 6.5 that I’ve been waiting to test.

heads

drck1000

« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2022, 08:54:32 AM »

macsak

« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2022, 10:50:35 AM »

esk808

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2022, 01:11:48 PM »
Tried to shoot and test the Lapua ammo this past weekend and two weekends ago.
Used a one-piece rest and front rest/rear bag on consecutive weekends.

X-Act  pre-covid price about $25 per 50rd box; now $28-29
Midas+   pre-covid about $15, now $18
CenterX     pre-covid about $11, now $14

My rifle, and I emphasize in my rifle as YMMV, with a new Benchmark barrel and a 22LR Nevius chamber specifically
cut for Lapua ammo, a few observations.

X-Act shot well, no flyers, but is it worth $28 per box?  Hard question
Midas+ shot equally with X-Act, at a lower price.
CenterX almost as good as the 2 above, but there are flyers and slight deviation (larger groups) from the 2 above.

Pre-covid, CenterX was the ammo to go to, as it was $11 a box vs. $15 for Midas+.
While the prices just climbed about $3 more per box, the difference between CenterX at $14, and Midas+ at $18, doesn't seem to be that much of a price jump.

Again, in my rifle, the X-Act appears to be overrated in performance vs. price.

This was just a basic test and just one person's opinion.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 05:53:29 PM by esk808 »

drck1000

« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2022, 01:31:36 PM »
Tried to shoot and test the Lapua ammo this past weekend and two weekends ago.
Used a one-piece rest and front rest/rear bag on consecutive weekends.

X-Act  pre-covid price about $25 per 50rd box; now $28-29
Midas+   pre-covid about $15, now $18
CenterX     pre-covid about $11, now $14

My rifle, and I emphasize in my rifle as YMMV, with a new Benchmark barrel and a 22LR Nevius chamber specifically
cut for Lapua ammo, a few observations.

X-Act shot well, no flyers, but is it worth $28 per box?  Hard question
Midas+ shot equally with X-Act, at a lower price.
CenterX almost as good as the 2 above, but there are flyers and slight deviation from the 2 above.

Pre-covid, CenterX was the ammo to go to, as it was $11 a box vs. $15 for Midas+.
While the prices just climbed about $3 more per box, the difference between CenterX at $14, and Midas+ at $18, doesn't seem to be that much of a price jump.

Agan, in my rifle, the X-Act appears to be overrated in performance vs. price.

This was just a basic test and just one person's opinion.

Cool.  I still have quite a bit of Midas + to try/test.  Eley Match is my current go-to, but mostly because that's what I have the most of and have tested with good results. 

Just checked a couple of the online vendors that I've been buying from and Center-X and SK Rifle Match are in stock.  I am tempted to order, but then probably will be waiting for a while for the next Kaleo shipment. 

powder monkey

« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2022, 05:16:35 PM »
When testing ammo are you shooting over chronograph to see if velocity  variations are the effect of the flier?

esk808

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2022, 01:53:13 PM »
My 5-brick, same lot of Midas+ deserves tweaking with a Harrell tuner, without and with my extension tube.

Funny, but while the chamber is reamed for Lapua bullet RN configuration, Eley Tenex with the flat-nose EPS bullet shoots well.

Also have about 5 bricks, same lot of Tenex, so worthwhile to tweak with the Harrell.

Or, maybe tweak with a BeeSting tuner/tube............ possibilities are endless.... have to go Kokohead forever.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 06:03:58 PM by esk808 »

drck1000

« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2022, 12:09:34 PM »
Received an invoice from KaleoArms today.  :geekdanc:

More .22 lr ammo incoming!  ;D

macsak

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2022, 12:14:00 PM »
heads

Received an invoice from KaleoArms today.  :geekdanc:

More .22 lr ammo incoming!  ;D

esk808

« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2022, 03:52:54 PM »

me too !

Akubone1

« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2022, 11:02:46 AM »
Got six more bricks of various match ammo through Kaleo the other day.  Decided to just shoot CCI SV and Norma Tac 22 instead of the match ammo yesterday due to the swirling winds.  My Lilja barrel does not like the Norma…1 1/2 inch groups at 50yds.  The CCI had a hard time chambering but shot better.  Nothing like shooting Center X or Eley Match…I guess you gotta pay to play.😜

drck1000

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2022, 03:10:22 PM »
Got six more bricks of various match ammo through Kaleo the other day.  Decided to just shoot CCI SV and Norma Tac 22 instead of the match ammo yesterday due to the swirling winds.  My Lilja barrel does not like the Norma…1 1/2 inch groups at 50yds.  The CCI had a hard time chambering but shot better.  Nothing like shooting Center X or Eley Match…I guess you gotta pay to play.😜
I hit the range on Sat (late morning) and it was quite breezy.  I ended up shooting more test loads for my 6.5, so didn't really mind. 

Six bricks? Wow!  Seems like you're well set for a bunch of range time!

I just got in another 1k of Eley match on the latest shipment.  Still need to test some Lapua and RWS ammo that I have on hand, but mostly have gone with Eley Match.  I would still want to test all sorts of ammo, but with .22 lr ammo supply still not great, want to focus on what has shown as decent results so far. 

esk808

« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2022, 04:42:21 PM »

goodshootinginc had Lapua X-Act for $258 a brick, ordered 2 bricks.

Price was the best and unchanged from pre-COVID prices.

Akubone1

« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2022, 06:12:54 AM »

Goodshootininc has some great pricing on 22 match ammo.  Unfortunately they sell out fast.  I just was lucky and ordered 5 bricks of Lapua CenterX.  Was $121.50/brick.  Need to check daily…hopefully supply gets better.

esk808

« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2022, 09:23:18 AM »
Goodshootininc has some great pricing on 22 match ammo.  Unfortunately they sell out fast.  I just was lucky and ordered 5 bricks of Lapua CenterX.  Was $121.50/brick.  Need to check daily…hopefully supply gets better.

Yeah, me too.  I've been checking regularly for CenterX and Midas+ as it is hard to find at "almost pre-COVID" prices.
goodshootinginc seems to one of those places that did not raise their prices to gouge customers.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 09:29:50 AM by esk808 »

drck1000

« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2022, 10:22:38 AM »

Nice.  I checked it out and I was tempted.  I recall that site from Inspector's recommendations.  Will have to remember to check back with them here and there.  For now, I have quite a bit of Eley Match with various lots that I picked up 500-1k here and there, so I am thinking of sticking with that for a while.  However, seeing you folks trying/testing stuff like Tenex and X-Act is awesome!  As well as tempting. 

drck1000

« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2022, 10:24:37 AM »
I've been checking Creedmoor and a couple of other sites here and there.  Seems like a decent rotation of availability.  Seems like things are improving and like you said, hopefully supply will get better.  We'll be keeping Kaleo busy  ;D

Akubone1

« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2022, 11:06:35 AM »
Sucks that it’s so windy.  I’m not wasting match ammo on 20-30 mph gusts.  10-15 is manageable for me but when you have winds above 20mph that’s tough for rimfire.  I ended up shooting pistol Sun & Mon.

macsak

« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2022, 11:29:16 AM »
Sucks that it’s so windy.  I’m not wasting match ammo on 20-30 mph gusts.  10-15 is manageable for me but when you have winds above 20mph that’s tough for rimfire.  I ended up shooting pistol Sun & Mon.

you were there monday?
did you stop by the hifico event?