Women Advised to Delete Period Tracking Apps & Sweden and Finland Join NATO (Read 651 times)

rhayder

Sweden and Finland are joining NATO, women are deleting their period tracking apps in response to Roe v. Wade, flights are cancelling at record numbers, and Medieval Times workers are voting to unionize

macsak

cool story, bro...

Sweden and Finland are joining NATO, women are deleting their period tracking apps in response to Roe v. Wade, flights are cancelling at record numbers, and Medieval Times workers are voting to unionize

hvybarrels

This is starting to feel like a spamming campaign
"Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it."
-Joseph Stalin

passivekinetic

Why are they deleting their period tracking apps? I don't get it.

Shouldn't they be EVEN MORE concerned about tracking period cycles and avoiding pregnancy? No contraceptive is 100%.
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

changemyoil66

I guess you haven't heard. Contraceptives are illegal now in some states.

Condoms and spermicidal lube are illegal?

macsak

please list the states where contraceptives are illegal and which types...

Flapp_Jackson

That's demonstrably false.

Care to provide any facts to support your BS?
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

passivekinetic

I hadn't heard.

But that makes it EVEN MORE irrational. Shouldn't they be EVEN MORE concerned about tracking their period cycles so as to determine when are the safe times to have sex?

Or is this some kind of weird sympathetic self-immolation? Our peeps are burning and so let's also burn ourselves in solidarity?
- Anonymous

passivekinetic

Out of curiosity I Googled a bit and found this

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2022/05/19/some-states-already-are-targeting-birth-control

But in the fine print of their measure, those Republicans revealed that their ambition wasn’t only to target a familiar abortion foe. They were going after specific forms of birth control as well, notably, emergency contraceptives, often sold under the brand name Plan B, and intrauterine devices, known as IUDs. GOP lawmakers tried to stop Missouri’s Medicaid agency from paying for those forms of contraception.

Missouri state Sen. Paul Wieland, one of the Republicans who led that effort, explained his position this way: “The bottom line is there is only one time something definitively happens and that’s the moment of conception. Once that happens, anything that happens should not be state funded.”

So it seems it's more about stopping the states paying for freebies, but not outright banning contraceptives.
- Anonymous

Flapp_Jackson

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2022/05/19/some-states-already-are-targeting-birth-control

So it seems it's more about stopping the states paying for freebies, but not outright banning contraceptives.

That's the real story.  No state is banning any contraceptives, even abortions.  They are simply stopping state funding under the 1A (being taxed to support something you object to under your religious convictions) and limiting the circumstances and gestation period when abortions can normally be legally performed.
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

changemyoil66

Going dark...

changemyoil66

please list the states where contraceptives are illegal and which types...

The best contraceptive is having tourettes and yelling heads.

drck1000

SNIP

Added for dramatic effect. . .  8)

drck1000

The best case for effectivecontraceptive is having tourettes and yelling heads.
FIFY  ;D

passivekinetic

The best contraceptive is having tourettes and yelling heads.

Hahahahahaha this bittersweet humor is also lost on some people.

It's bittersweet because it's a fucking sad state of affairs.
- Anonymous

robtmc

Funtimes

Why are they deleting their period tracking apps? I don't get it.

Shouldn't they be EVEN MORE concerned about tracking period cycles and avoiding pregnancy? No contraceptive is 100%.

Mostly because it is information being sent to a third party, not protected by the 4th amendment; they could potentially risk prosecution etc. If they did something and it might be evidence against them.

macsak

cool story, bro...

You probably believe that a woman that is raped will not get pregnant if she doesn't want to.

Flapp_Jackson

According to articles, the big push to delete the apps started over a month ago when the leaked SCOTUS opinion came out.  Warnings circulated that the information collected might be useful for prosecutors if the app user has an illegal abortion.

Privacy is an issue with any app.  Period trackers are no different. 

The 2 biggest names among period tracker apps are Clue and Flo.

Apparently Flo has already been guilty of misusing the information they collected.

Flo has come under fire for sharing its users’ data before. The company says on its website it only
uses data “for research activities” and that it only uses “de-identified or aggregated data, which
cannot be associated” with specific users. But an investigative piece by the Wall Street Journal
has found that the app informed Facebook when a user was on their period or if they intended
 to get pregnant.
In 2021, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) reached a settlement with Flo.
Under the settlement, Flo must undergo an independent review of its privacy policy and obtain
user permissions before sharing personal health information. Flo did not admit any wrongdoing.

On Friday, Flo announced that it will soon be launching an “Anonymous mode” that can help keep users’
data safe in any circumstances.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/28/why-us-woman-are-deleting-their-period-tracking-apps

Flapp_Jackson

You probably believe that a woman that is raped will not get pregnant if she doesn't want to.

Are you saying no rapes will happen if we let Sweden and Finland join NATO?

Yay!   :geekdanc: :thumbsup: