KHSC closed starting today 9-16-22 (Read 24783 times)

Bota-CS1

Re: KHSC closed starting today 9-16-22
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2022, 01:08:20 PM »
“But I will tell you this folks, I made inquiries numerous times to the parks department to find out what’s going on because this is the only publicly owned shooting range, this is where our responsible gun owners have an opportunity to use their weapons,” he added.
Perhaps we need more "publicly owned shooting range(s)"
This would reduce the concentrations of lead.  :D

Here here!  We need a 2nd public range that’s more centrally located.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2022, 01:45:21 PM »
Where did you get your info regarding RSOs lead exposure came from collecting lead and casting?

Reliable witnesses who are close to the matter, but wish to remain anonymous as they fear reprisal.

powder monkey

« Reply #142 on: October 26, 2022, 02:24:20 PM »
Interesting????

hvybarrels

« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2022, 03:18:37 PM »
Here here!  We need a 2nd public range that’s more centrally located.

And longer than 100 yards

And a cqb shoot house

And ponies

“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

robtmc

« Reply #144 on: October 26, 2022, 06:09:34 PM »
Perhaps we need more "publicly owned shooting range(s)"
Good luck with that.
Some of you will remember the heavy Honolulu presence shutting down our BI range.
On your home turf, expect same 10^4.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 06:23:33 PM by robtmc »

robtmc

« Reply #145 on: October 26, 2022, 06:24:54 PM »
And ponies
Being Honolulu, you would likely get bronies and furrys.

zippz

« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2022, 12:47:04 AM »
From the news story, it said the lead levels of the staff were under 40, which is under the OSHA limit which is precautionary.  This is good in that over 40 would trigger all sorts of OSHA requirements which would be expensive and probably prolong the shutdown.  On the good side, it also means the range staff are still healthy, tho there may be minor effects from it.

The neighborhood board and tommy waters need some educating on lead.  It's expected to have lead on ranges.  Not sure how lead affects ground water, but I assume it doesn't since it's close to the ocean and there is no surface runoff outside of the crater.  Not an issue going into the ocean since it'd be very small amounts that are greatly diluted in the ocean.  Another analogy is we have military shooting ranges everywhere forever, so I assume ground water contamination is probably not an issue.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2022, 12:52:08 AM »
The berm maintenance could have some effect on the lead exposure.  Last time they trucked in a lot of sand on the ground and berms.  It was mainly to reduce ricochets, but it probably had another effect of trapping the bullet and preventing lead dust from blowing around in the wind.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

QUIETShooter

« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2022, 06:39:00 AM »
Many times problems are given the "band-aid" treatment due to cost concerns and budget.  It's looked at as "doing something which is better than nothing".

Sometimes doing it right once and for all is better in the long run.  Both economically and for the satisfaction for all.

Maybe that is what is needed here for KHSC.  Take the time and expense to do it right.  Rake out that lead and refurbish the berms and lanes.  Don't do the "bondo over the dent" temporary fix.

That is, if the intent is for safety and getting the range up and running again.

My conspiracy theory radar is again going off the charts.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

aletheuo137

« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2022, 08:18:46 AM »
My conspiracy theory radar is again going off the charts.

Spidey senses!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

aieahound

« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2022, 12:15:08 PM »
we've been talking about this since the beginning of august and he only brought it up this month
possible, but not likely

Maybe I lost my bet.

“HNN first started asking the city about the issue on Sept. 16 after getting a tip from a range employee who reported having elevated levels of lead in their blood.“

Maybe not.

“ This (is something) the city has intentionally ignored because I have been asking since mid-August and have gotten no response,” Knudsen said.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/10/27/after-dodging-questions-city-confirms-several-workers-shooting-range-have-elevated-lead-levels/

No matter either way. Cats out of the bag and Catnutsen is gonna run with it as far as he can.
Hopefully, based on Waters previous comments, they realize we need a public range.
Save Our Range.  Or Relocate to Kunia maybe ?

Just hope we’re not like Raceway Park.

powder monkey

« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2022, 03:26:40 PM »
Race track more socially acceptable then shooting range and look where they at.

Test result was released about a month after the 16th

Bota-CS1

« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2022, 10:12:03 PM »
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

aletheuo137

« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2022, 07:56:38 AM »
Oahu Public Gun Range is Under Attack

https://rumble.com/v1qqg08-oahus-public-gun-range-is-under-attack.html

changemyoil66

« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2022, 08:33:57 AM »
Armored car cannot train or qual their employees. Once their 1 year OC expires, too bad. They asked hpd to use their waipahu range and is told no.

Guess the other indoors not an option for various reasons.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

oldfart

« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2022, 09:04:06 AM »
Oahu Public Gun Range is Under Attack

https://rumble.com/v1qqg08-oahus-public-gun-range-is-under-attack.html

=================
I would vote for her
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2022, 09:10:55 AM »
Is Hawaii stalling until the legislature gets back into session and our new dictator, oh I mean governor is sworn in?
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

hvybarrels

« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2022, 01:08:43 PM »
Is Hawaii stalling until the legislature gets back into session and our new dictator, oh I mean governor is sworn in?

I have a feeling that the fraud will be so obvious this time that a lot of stuff is not going to get done with the impending scandal

Unfortunately that means the range as well
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

ren

« Reply #158 on: November 06, 2022, 05:18:51 PM »
emailed City rep Augie Tulba. No response. emailed NRA Will Lee. No response.
yet injuries still continue around Kokohead trail it still remains open
https://www.khon2.com/local-news/youth-injured-on-koko-head-trail-airlifted-to-safety/
Deeds Not Words

Teichi

« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2022, 02:53:51 PM »
I emailed Calvin Say regarding the range closure and got a reply from the community liason.

Please see the attached request for information we recently submitted on behalf of a Palolo resident, also a registered and concerned fire arm owner/hunter.  We understand there is ongoing vendor negotiation regarding scope of work, possible lead poisoning among others due to the discharged bullets in the berm.  We understand the concern, being that currently statewide, there are over 25,000 registered fire arms, including law enforcement and certified security officers, per Attorney General’s office.

Thank you for your concern.  We have copied in George LaRosa from Dept. of Parks and Recreation (DPR) overseeing the Kokohead District Park, including the Shooting Range.  We look forward to DPR’s progress on this matter.

Best regards-

Melvia Kawashima

Community Liaison

Office of Councilmember Calvin K.Y. Say

City and County of Honolulu, District 5

PHONE: (808) 768-5057 / EMAIL: melvia.kawashima@honolulu.gov

530 South King Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813