***FIRE MISSION***HB804 due before 2/13 @ 2pm (Read 1086 times)

changemyoil66

***FIRE MISSION***HB804 due before 2/13 @ 2pm
« on: February 10, 2023, 03:04:19 PM »
https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessions/session2023/Bills/HB804_.pdf

Hearing is 2/14 at 2pm.

Notify FBI terrorist watch list when you apply for a permit to aquire.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 07:39:28 PM by changemyoil66 »

Flapp_Jackson

Re: ***FIRE MISSION***HB804 due before 2/13 @ 2pm
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 03:22:05 PM »
https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessions/session2023/Bills/HB804_.pdf

Hearing is 2/14 at 2pm.

Notify FBI terrorist watch list when you commit a crime. Even though not terrorism related.

Unless I am misreading it, that's not what the bill does.

It says the application for a Permit to Acquire will be sent to the Terrorist Screening Center as part of the State background Check before issuing the permit.

The purpose of this Act is to require notification to the Terrorist Screening Center of the Federal Bureau of
Investigation as part of the State’s gun permit background check process.

On its face, this makes no logical sense.  The FBI manages both NICS and the Terrorist Screening Center.  If the FBI is not including the Terrorist Screening Center as part of the NICS review, then there's a bigger problem -- the FBI is incompetent and not making use of the information they already have.

If someone is on the Terrorist Screening Center's list, then the FBI's NICS background check ought to already be able to ascertain that without the state redundantly sending the application to a second FBI department/system.

Unlike the NICS rules, the Terrorist Screening Center probably isn't designed to respond to requests in 3 business days.  Plus, I doubt the Terrorist Screening Center is funded to support such an increase in state-initiated queries, just like NICS isn't funded or resourced to do state-mandated background checks on non-FFL gun purchases (i.e private sales -- universal background checks).

Just another state-sponsored wad of BS they are throwing against the wall to see if it sticks.

This reminds me of the previous bill that wanted to deny permits/firearms to anyone on the federal No-Fly List, something that many people were erroneously added to for secretive and undefined reasons.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 03:48:35 PM »
FJ is correct...

It says the application for a Permit to Acquire will be sent to the Terrorist Screening Center as part of the State background Check before issuing the permit.

On its face, this makes no logical sense.  The FBI manages both NICS and the Terrorist Screening Center.  If the FBI is not including the Terrorist Screening Center as part of the NICS review, then there's a bigger problem -- the FBI is incompetent and not making use of the information they already have.

If someone is on the Terrorist Screening Center's list, then the FBI's NICS background check ought to already be able to ascertain that without the state redundantly sending the application to a second FBI department/system.

Unlike the NICS rules, the Terrorist Screening Center probably isn't designed to respond to requests in 3 business days.  Plus, I doubt the Terrorist Screening Center is funded to support such an increase in state-initiated queries, just like NICS isn't funded or resourced to do state-mandated background checks on non-FFL gun purchases (i.e private sales -- universal background checks).

Just another state-sponsored wad of BS they are throwing against the wall to see if it sticks.

This reminds me of the previous bill that wanted to deny permits/firearms to anyone on the federal No-Fly List, something that many people were erroneously added to for secretive and undefined reasons.

zippz

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 06:35:11 PM »
The inconsistency is within the bill itself.  The intro to the bill says 2,233 terrorists were flagged when buying guns per GOA.  Only way they would know this is if the gun background checks were also checking the terrorist screening center too.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 07:41:57 PM »

Thanks. Its been a long day of doing bill stuff.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 10:41:26 PM »
The inconsistency is within the bill itself.  The intro to the bill says 2,233 terrorists were flagged when buying guns per GOA.  Only way they would know this is if the gun background checks were also checking the terrorist screening center too.

Yeah, I bet they were all White Supremacist Terrorists.  No Muslims Terrorists would have been discriminated against.

:popcorn:
-- Melvin Udall

macsak

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 09:22:16 AM »
HB804 Terrorism List
63 oppose
6 support
No cookie cutter

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 09:43:33 AM »
Bill deferred.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 03:07:45 PM »
Here's a lawsuit case that more than exemplifies the incompetent and secretive Terrorist Watch List.

The man bringing suit had to sue in the past to be removed from the No fly list.  Now he's being targeted by local law enforcement via unwarranted traffic stops because his name is still on other lists.

To pretend the Feds are making their list and checking it twice using verified facts and data is naive and stupid.  They named parents speaking out at school board meetings as potential domestic terrorists -- no proof at all, just more labeling of individuals they don't like in order to make the parents' lives miserable.

Whether or not the bill is redundant, adds cost and resources to background checks, or is 100% ineffective at stopping bad people from buying guns is one thing.  But to make sure the data is reasonably reliable and accurate so good people are not wrongly treated is another.

i don't understand how anyone can think this process is not error-prone and a burden to good, law-abiding people trying to exercise a constitutionally protected right.

Government has a long history of implementing laws before the required support services/infrastructure are in place (RAPBACK comes to mind).
-- Melvin Udall